“Sesame Street” turns 40 | Teen Ink

“Sesame Street” turns 40

January 11, 2010
By Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We’ve all known and loved the “Sesame Street” gang for 40 years now. Sparkling characters like Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, and Elmo have graced children’s lives by teaching letters, helping solve problems, and making laughter.
“I love Grover!” said senior Megan Burczyk, “He’s so silly! He was my favorite character.”
In 1969, when the radical idea of using television to teach children occurred to Joan Ganz Cooney, co-founder of “Sesame Street”, there were rumors the show wouldn’t last the first season. Boy those rumors were wrong!
E very season of the show’s existence, the writers have come up with new characters and new ways to teach children how to count and read.
Over the years “Sesame Street” has changed along with its viewers. In 2003, South Africa’s Sesame Street even incorporated a HIV positive character named Kami to respond to the epidemic of HIV in Africa.
Characters like Bert and Ernie have taught us how to get along and problem solve. Elmo is a fun little red guy that taught us how to jump and tie shoes. Big Bird taught was the tall, yellow bird that sang, danced and played games with anyone who was lucky enough to end up on Sesame Street.
Eventually, everyone who watched “Sesame Street” grows out of it. Or do they?
“I miss watching it,” said a thoughtful Jake, senior in High School, “but I, unfortunately, am too old and outgrown it.”