Everything I'd Been Waiting For | Teen Ink

Everything I'd Been Waiting For

By banana PLATINUM, Johnston, Iowa
banana PLATINUM, Johnston, Iowa

The docks were bursting with life, awash in serenity, and everything I’d been waiting for. The shining lake water gently lapping against the metal supports made a cheerful thwap thwap sound, and the seagulls soaring overhead filled my ears with the tales of their joyful discoveries.

Looking at the sailboats bobbing peacefully before me, I was filled with a sense of rightness. I knew down to the bottom of my soles (and probably a good ten feet down below that) that this was where I was meant to be. All the minor stresses and anxieties that had built up inside me over the course of the year were gone. It was as if the water all around me had breached its boundary and washed any feelings of fear or sadness away.

The ever-present Superior breeze rose off the surface of the lake and plucked at a piece of my hair, inviting it to dance. Moving in perfect harmony, the wind twirled it around in a perfect pirouette, then sent it leaping up higher. And while this proceeded to throw a shiver of cold racing down my spine, it was also one of delight.

“Isn’t this great!?” I shouted to my brother.

Kyle was wandering alongside the railing, one Canon Rebel XTI camera slung around his neck. He kept glancing up at the many different flags that were flapping in the wind. I was pretty sure he was trying to figure out the best way to capture the spectrum of countries on each flagpole in a single shot.

When I spoke, however, he looked over. “Yeah,” he replied. Smiling, I just shook my head. All of this glory could never be contained in a single word.

“I think we better go though, Hannah.” Kyle was crouching down now, one eye squinting through the camera, which was directed up at the dancing banners. “Mom and Dad are probably unloading lunch from the car, and our cruise is supposed to leave in about twenty minutes.”

This was probably true. We’d arrived only a half hour or so before the Island Princess was scheduled to sweep us all aboard for a two hour tour of the islands. While this meant that we all more than ready to be here, it did not leave us much time to eat lunch, go to the bathroom, and get ready. I was just thankful to finally see something besides miles and miles of trees (that’s Wisconsin for you), and delighted with the breath-taking scene before me. My parents, while still pleased to have reached our destination, I believed were experiencing a wee bit of stress. So…

I nodded. “Okay then.” After all, I still had about two days to marvel at this newfound paradise. And even though I’d never been here before, it was beginning to feel more and more like home.

Traveling to Lake Superion during the summer of 2008 was probably the best experience I have ever had. As it is, I simply couldn't let such an inspiring place slip through my writing hands.

I love it Hannah, its an exquisit piece of writing! 10 stars id say :)

YogaMary said...
Outstanding!  I love to read and enjoyed this short article.  It reminded me of a vacation I had and my love for water - of course there always is wind. :)  5 STARS!

5 stars & more if I can vote more.  :)

That was beautiful! I think you should be a writer.  Even if everyone else thinks you should, too.  Besides you already are one.

hayo6 said...
It's amazing how you can write your story and make me feel you are really there....

smileskara said...
Love it! Stay puffed! Cool your jets!

Awesome! Five stars all the way! Can't wait to read more!

shel123 said...
Really nice Hannah! So glad I could read more of your work. Can't wait to read more!!

Kathleen E. said...
It was a great piece--you showed, not told--until the second to last paragraph. I felt it became cumbersome and I know you are capable of so much more having read the earlier paragraphs. But, you are a really great writer; well done!

Meg said...
Hannah- that was AMAZING! i felt like i was reading an award-winning novel! i loved it!Keep writing. I will enjoy reading more! it was SUPER-CALI-FRAGILE-ISTIC-EX-P-ALI-DOSHUS!

Carly said...
WOW Hannah! Again wow! I didn't know you went on a cruise!

Isabelle82 said...
Hannah: your story, of course is looking through the windows of your imagination, trying to see things more clearly - hoping to help entertain others at the same time. I was there with you!

luv2ride said...
Hannah-I loved your article. I could see it in my mind. I could feel the freedom you explained. Keep writing--you are awesome. Miss You!! Brittany

bettyboop said...
Hannah, I was thrilled to be asked to read this.You have a wonderful talent, I felt like I was on a journey with you!Keep up the good work. Love you.

Auntie said...
Hannah, I loved every word. I knew right away what you were writing about - made me feel like I was there!

Theresa said...
Your writing ability continues to amaze me Hannah! Your amazing combination of descriptions is so impactful. Thanks for sharing your work!

Sue Cole said...
Hannah

Wow! You are a vivid writer who draws a picture with words. I felt like I was right there with you:)Great work. Keep writing I want to read more.

Kristin Ott said...
What a great visual of your trip- you described my state so wonderfully. Good use of descriptive words. I have traveled on that same ship and it brought back memories.Maybe sometime you can come back to Wisconsin and see some of our other beautiful spots.(maybe we can visit:) Say hi to your mom for me - Kristin

Greg Goaley said...
What I like here is the active voice, the subtly offered descriptions, the nearly unsaid - the "shown" and "not told." More meaning with few words. Order and peace rise above schedules and obligations. Characters emerge, senses of place unfold, and anticipation builds. More, please!

Hannah, You are such an amazing writer! I was completely captivated from start to finsih. Keep it girl!! Love ya and miss ya!

Steph