New York City | Teen Ink

New York City

April 3, 2009
By Amber1994 GOLD, Roanoke, Illinois
Amber1994 GOLD, Roanoke, Illinois
15 articles 6 photos 45 comments

At dusk, the inner-city alights as the neon signs flicker on and off. Cars rev their engines and roar down the narrow strip of asphalt. An illegal cross-country race is about to begin. Crowds hustle through the streets, as the Broadway show begins. The distinct clicking of women’s heeled shoes tap atop the sidewalk.

Vendors holler and beckon pedestrians: “Hot dogs, get your hot dogs here!” As you stroll along the pavement, scents waft and mingle with the aromas of freshly baked bread, cinnamon rolls, and roasted nuts. Oh! It is enough to send your glands to salivating.

Taxi cabs are hailed by waving arms through the masses of bodies cluttering the sidewalks. Their horns honking, and engines constantly running. Exhaust from the tail pipes swirl in the sky, polluting the wonderful scents. This causes you to turn your nose to a bouquet of crimson red roses. You deeply breath in the heavenly scent, and purchase the cluster of lovely vegetation.


Downtown, gangs hide from view while policemen cruise down the alleys, searching in waxed patrol cars. Their recent crime, a total work of art. Nothing offensive was written, nothing to discriminate against someone, just an array of colors sprayed onto an alley wall.