The Monster in the Mirror | Teen Ink

The Monster in the Mirror

January 3, 2017
By cassier14 BRONZE, Ridgway, Pennsylvania
More by this author
cassier14 BRONZE, Ridgway, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Author's note:

I knew a close friend who was bullied and I didnt know how to  help her. So I was inspired to write this piece to hopefully stop bullies from hurting others emotionally and physically.

I awoke to a feeling of sharp pain in my head, as if someone had taken a hammer and beat my head repeatedly as hard as they could. My mouth felt dry and it became hard to swallow. I smelled copper- blood! Panicking, I tried to open my eyes. I felt as if I were spinning and everything I saw out of my barely opened eyes was blurred colors. The little bit of the room that I saw shown a blue light coming from above me. I turned to see the wooden floor similar to the floor of my room.
Nauseated, I felt as if I were hanging off a building. I turned, in spite of the pain, to see that I was hanging off a bed. Suddenly I realized that I was in my bedroom. The only thing that I could focus on was why the lights were blue and why I was still in bed.
When I tried to move, I couldn't feel my body from my shoulders up. I yelled -- I felt terrified and desperate for help. I felt something cold and wet seep into my hair. I heard a faucet running. I saw the water run across the floor towards my head. I could see my hands; they looked bloody and still. I tried moving them but I couldn't. I yelled again but louder, hoping someone would hear. The water kept filling the room and it was now to my forehead. I heard a faint call from beside my ear. It sounds like a woman. She's calling my name “Clarisa . . . .Clarisa”. I thought it was my mom so I asked for help and told her I couldn't move. Then I felt something cold against my neck. At first I thought it was the water but it was someone’s hand.
“W-who are you?” I said scared.
‘’I’m you, Clarisa . . .  I’m your conscience.’’
The voice seemed to be coming from under the bed. “No I'm dreaming I-I have to be dreaming”, I screamed.
“ I'm here because you have been a very mean girl, Clarissa and you deserve to be punished for all those you have hurt.”
“What are you talking about and what have you done to me!?” I screamed louder, trying to get help.
“ I'm going to ask you questions and if you answer them incorrectly I will raise the water higher,” she said with a evil laugh.
“ What if I don’t answer at all?” I asked daringly, which was later stupid of me.
“ If you dare not  answer the questions I will let you drown without a chance of forgiveness.”
“ You are not real and have no right to do this to me. Do You Know Who I Am?!” I screamed at the stranger under my bed.
“ I am very much real, sweetheart, and I do know who you are-- you're the girl who acts better than everyone now, aren't you?”  Her voice conveyed a weird kindness.
“ I am better than everyone! And no one would dare talk to me like you are right now,” I said smartly. I heard a loud beep and saw a red light that was on the wall shine brightly and the next thing I knew, the water was being raised higher up my head. It was now up to my eyebrows.
“Are you sure you're better than everyone?  And are you a bully?” she smirked behind me.
I haven't seen the person claiming to be my conscience under the bed yet but I answered, scared of what she might do next. “ I am not better than everybody but i'm definitely better than you! Also, I am not a bully!” I said smirking.
Once again I heard the loud beep and felt the water rise up. It was now up to my cheek bones when I heard the beep again and felt the water rise to the tip of my nose. I was being very careful about how I was breathing so I wouldn't breath in the water.
“ One last question, Clarisa:  Are you going to keep acting the way you do?”
“I won't change myself for you no matter what you'll do to me!” I yelled feeling water go into my nose. I heard a loud siren and saw the red light. I was drowning. I opened my eyes and saw her, I saw Clarisa. I saw me, and then I saw blackness.
Next thing I knew was that I was in class surrounded by my friends. They were talking about my annual ball masquerade party I have every year for Christmas. I looked around at the people in the class and I saw a girl in a black hoodie and jeans. She started walking towards me and whispered in my ear, “Remember what I said to you.” She hit me on the head and I woke up in the middle of the night at my friend Hannah’s house. I walked into the bathroom, looked at the mirror and splashed my face with water.
It was all a dream . . . I think.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.