The Agent: A Story | Teen Ink

The Agent: A Story

May 15, 2017
By DaRogue BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
More by this author
DaRogue BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Awhile back, I was a soldier. But not just any soldier. An elite group of special ops called Bomb Squad. The mission was to take out a dangerous gang that was plaguing the streets of New York. The gang was called Skull, and they meant business. No other gangs in the city were left to fight them, because all the other gang’s members were either dead or they had retired. My employer told me to get rid of the gang, with any means necessary. I was paired up with some other hitmen, we went by code names, I was Tango, and the other two were Alpha and Delta. I knew Delta from training, and we had become great friends ever since. I had never known Alpha before, but he always got the job done. We were sent in by helicopter to the gang’s hideout, near the edge of the city. We dropped in, crashing through the glass with our exo-suits and landing in the main hall. Our goal was to eliminate the main leader and destroy the facility. We took Skull by surprise, killing most of their men in the room. A few got away, but they weren't our main goal. Alpha got out explosive charges and we blew up the door, which led down the hallway. We took cover, heavily under fire until I threw a grenade into the group of people. KA-BOOM! Then I used my boost jump to get the height advantage on the remaining thugs. I aimed my foot at one’s head while in the air and landed on it. I grappled the other one through the wall head first. Now we had to get to the main office. We went through the vents to avoid the heavily protected areas. Finally, we reached our destination. We kicked open the vent, surprising the guards in the room. The boss ran into an elevator, desperately trying to hit the floor buttons. The elevator started going up. Delta knew what to do. He had pre-loaded his RPG already, giving him the advantage. He fired directly at the elevator, all guards dodging to avoid the blast. They realized too late that we weren’t aiming for them. BOOM! The elevator exploded in a fiery blast, then crashing to the ground. We had completed our mission, but we had missed a detail. A sniper was up on the roof looking down at our position. At the last second Delta saw him and pushed me out of the way. BAM! Delta took a direct hit too the chest. “NO!” I cried. Delta collapsed to the ground, bleeding everywhere. Alpha shot the sniper, causing him too fall of the roof crashing down through a glass table. “Tango,” Delta gasped,”I’m sorry. I can’t complete the mission.” “Delta,” I said panicked,”stay with me. Please.” Then Delta stopped breathing. Alpha grabbed my shoulder and said, ”He’s gone, we have to go.” I knew he was right so I started to run after Alpha down the hallway. The charges had already been set by an inside guy, so all we had to do was get to the control room to set them off. As we turned the corner, KSSSH! One mercenary in a mech suit had came through the wall to stop us. Alpha distracted the man, while I scaled the suit. I was noticed, and almost got thrown off. Alpha tried to get to cover but the mech fired a rocket in his direction. KABOOM! Alpha was thrown into a nearby wall, his suit taking most of the damage from the explosion. I grabbed a grenade and shoved it into the suit. I jumped off and took cover. The man tried to grab and throw the grenade out, but it was too late. BOOM! The mech collapsed to the ground, half of the man still in the suit. I ran over to Alpha, his suit was ripped apart and he had a piece of shrapnel stuck in his chest. “Sir,” he gasped, ”finish the mission.” Then he died. I realized that I had to get to the control room. Then I got an idea. I climbed into the mech suit and went towards the control room. I crashed through the door into the room, firing away, killing everyone. I was about to hack into the controls and set off the explosive charges when the mech was hit almost hit by a rocket. I turned, another mech was attacking me. I charged towards it, punching it's c***pit, damaging it heavily. But then the pilot’s mech broke through my c***pit, grabbed me, and threw me out into a wall. Luckily, I wasn’t hurt. I saw that the pilot’s mech had gotten it's hand stuck trying to rip out the energy core of my mech. But my mech malfunctioned, setting the c***pit into an electric fire. The fire spread onto the enemy’s mech, setting it on fire until both mechs exploded. I finally got over to the control panel, hacking into it and almost enabling the charges when I sensed another presence in the room with me. I turned just in time to dodge the knife that had just been thrown at me. I tackled the injured mech pilot, punching him repeatedly when he threw me off into the wall. I reached for my gun, grabbing it and firing two shots before it ran out of ammo. He collapsed to the ground. I ran over to the control panel and set the time for the charges. I had five minutes to get out of there. I picked up a nearby gun and ran through the main hall again, when I realized I was surrounded by guards. “Freeze!”, one said. I boost-jumped up into the air and slammed my feet down on a guard and threw a smoke grenade. None of the guards could see except me, with my enhanced exo-suit goggles. All of the guards started firing blindly, most of the bullets hitting each other. Then I threw an electricity grenade, electrocuting the remaining guards to death. I shot a grapple through the glass ceiling and was pulled up. I saw my helicopter evac when a rocket hit it, sending it down and exploding. I had no other way of getting out. I checked the timer. Thirty seconds. Then I had an idea. I remembered that all soldiers mech suits have a fail-safe shield to protect the wearer from explosions. I enabled the failsafe and a type of fiberglass formed around me. Just in time. Then everything went bright. I thought I was dead, but I woke up about a week later in a military hospital where I recovered for a while. I decided to retire after that, due to the fact that I had almost died. And that’s about it. But now that you know, I’ll have to leave.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.