The Jamesco Express | Teen Ink

The Jamesco Express

November 26, 2019
By CCrawford, Vancouver, Other
More by this author
CCrawford, Vancouver, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Will Williams and his sister Wendy Williams, who was two years older than him, were on the train to go visit their grandmother, who was on her death bed. The two had hardly ever seen her during her life, and were hoping to learn more about her. It was quite a cool, futuristic looking train they were on, especially to little ten-year old Will Williams, who couldn’t stop staring at the glowing tube-shaped lights running down the hallway, and the slick leather seats. Wendy couldn’t help but notice that there were no other people on the train except for them! That was strange, they thought there would be hundreds of other people on the train, since they were going to such a busy city as Pittsburg. 


The speaker in the train suddenly came on. “Thank you for travelling with the Jamesco Express.” It said. “We will be arriving at our destination shortly. We hope you enjoy your stay, whether it be reliving old memories, or creating new ones.” 


As soon as the speaker turned off, the children noticed the train, everything around them beginning to change before their eyes. They watched as the tube-shaped lights on the wall began to transform into metal lamps, and the slick leather seats turn into wooden chairs. They looked out the window to see what used to be new, modern homes turn into early 20th century houses made from brick. They could see the world around them slowly shift back into its former self before their eyes. 


“What’s happening, Wendy?” Asked Will.


“I think we just went back in time.” Replied Wendy, absolutely shocked at what she just witnessed.


When the train finally came to a stop at the station, the children got off, marveling at bustling station filled with men and women all dressed in dresses or suits with old-fashioned hats. What really caught their eye through this trip through time was a married couple leaving their train with a newborn baby in their hands. As the proud-looking couple left the station, the kids felt something deep inside them telling them to follow the couple outside. They somehow felt a connection to the baby, even though they’d never met it before. 


“Any more ideas for names?” Asked the Father as the kids followed him outside. 

“How about Edna?” Suggested the Mother.


“I think that’s a great idea.”


As the kids followed the couple on their walk home, they noticed Edna getting older and older as the path went on. She kept growing in her parent’s hands until they let her go on the ground and were amazed as she took her first steps. Amazed, the kids eventually followed them into a school for Edna’s first day of school, watching her make and lose friends along the way. What seemed like only minutes later, they saw her next to all of her friends at a high school graduation ceremony, waving at her parents in the crowd.


Will and Wendy left the school, following Edna further down the street. They noticed that the parents had moved to the other side of the street as Edna, now a grown woman went along the path herself. She continued walking down the street, visiting different places in the world, and eventually finding a man on one of her trips and getting married. She was joined on her path with the man, along with two little girls of their own. They started to walk faster down the path, as the two girls, who looked very familiar to Will and Wendy, finished school themselves. The two siblings noticed the houses in the background getting newer and newer as Edna and her family got older and older, looking more recognizable to them. The two daughters eventually had kids of their own, and Edna had to say goodbye to her husband, who walked across the street to join Edna’s parents, away from her life.


At the end of the street, the kids could see a house that Edna was drawing near to as she grew old, to the end of her life. She finally climbed up the stairs of the grand, old house, past hallways filled with photos of past memories, and into a bed. In that bed, she was surrounded by everyone from her life that she had loved. Will and Wendy stood beside the bed as the woman, their grandmother faded into the air and disappeared. 


As their vision faded to black, the kids could hear a voice in their head. 


“Thank you for using the Jamesco experience.” The voice said. “We will be exiting the simulation shortly. We hope you enjoyed your stay, whether it be reliving old memories, or creating new ones.”  



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.