James Brown and the Shadow Hunter | Teen Ink

James Brown and the Shadow Hunter

By BobtheBuilder12358, Springfield, Virginia
BobtheBuilder12358, Springfield, Virginia

Author's note:

I really like this book and it is the first of the series.

“I bet you my life right now that you are reading this book in a nice world with sunshine and happiness. Well, I was the guy who saved it from endless darkness. So, you can send your thank you letters now.” My name is James Brown and I am not even close to being normal since my life is just messed up. I live with my Auntie Hestia because when I was born my mom left me and that made my father go a little crazy. He would waste all his money on beer and that made me spend most of my life with my Auntie Hestia’s house’. Then one day while I was at my Auntie Hestia’s because my dad hadn’t come home from work for 2 days. The cops called and said that my father was arrested yesterday and when they checked on him today, he was dead burned to crisps they said. That hurt even if my dad never cared about me, I still loved him as my father. So, from that time I had to live with my Auntie Hestia. Now that you know that my weird family you must think that is not that weird well your wrong. The weirdest part is what I looked like when I was younger. My hair was dark, but as I grew up, the more it grew lighter until it turned white and my eyes turned purple from the deep black they were. And that was the weirdest part.

"Ring!" Went, the alarm clock telling me to wake up and get ready to go to school, but me being me, threw the alarm clock into the pile of already broken alarm clocks. Then, my Auntie Hestia came into my room to wake me up. I tried to fake sleeping, so I did not have to go to school, but my Auntie Hestia had the eyes of the hawk or something to see me being awake. My Auntie Hestia is also weird, having eyes like a warm fire that make everyone happy and comfortable around just like the goddess herself.

“Wake up you have to get ready for school.”

“Why do I have to,” I answered 

“Yes, you do.” She commanded.

“Okay," I finally said. No one could ever win an argument with Auntie Hestia; they all lost to her warm nice eyes.

“Now get ready she said.” She said

“Fine,” I responded as she left my room. I got dressed and I went down to get breakfast. After I ate breakfast, I walked to school trying to dodge Rob Jones, or as I call him “Robbing Johnny.”  because that is what he usually does to kids that are not the same size as he is. “Crack.” Lighting struck 10 feet away from me. I looked up seeing the sky, gray matt as if someone put a gray blanket over it. I could have sworn it was a clear sky before, so I ran, and I ran fast trying to get to school before I got blasted. When I reached school, I was winded from running, and I crashed into Rob. 

“Oh no, not again,” I thought before he slammed me into the wall. 

“So, where is my lunch money squirt? “He said threateningly

“I do not have it,” I responded tiredly since this happens every day. 

“Because of that, you’re getting a swirly in the Dirty One.” He said humorously. 

“Oh no, not the Dirty One,” I thought. The Dirty One was a toilet in the boys’ bathroom that hasn’t been flushed since the opening of the school. Even the janitors do not bother. But before Rob could even try, the bell ringed signaling that we must get to class. When I entered my first-class, history, I looked outside and I saw that it looked as if the sky was waging war with the earth. Little did I know that was exactly what was happening. 

“Today we will learn about ancient Greek Mythology,” Said our history teacher Mrs. Casey, or also known as the meanest human being alive. “So, who can tell me who the Greek Goddess of Magic is?” She said looking right at me as if I should know from personal experience or something. “Now, James, tell me who it is,” she commanded, looking right at me.

Out of the corners of my eyes, I could see my best friend Lucy Redraw, practically standing and everyone else snickering.

“Hecate is the Greek Goddess of Magic,” I answered hesitantly

“Good, that was right.” She responded.

It went on like that for the whole class, her saying the names of Greek Deities and calling us to tell what they are the gods and goddesses of. She naturally only called on me for practically half of them. After the bell rang, she told me to stay in the class because she had something to say to me. When everyone left, she turned and looked right at me glaring, and said: “Did you think your mother magic could hide you forever.”

“Huh,” I answered surprised “My mother is dead,”

“No, she isn’t that stupid witch just got kidnapped,” she screamed forcibly. “Now you will come to Olympus so you can be trialed and executed.”

“Hiyaaaaaaa,” screamed someone as a blade cleaved straight through her, making Mrs. Casey explodes into dust.

“Wow, are you hurt?” said this mysterious person.

“What just happened to you, you just killed a teacher,” I said terrified walking back to the corner. 

“No, I didn't. I just saved your life from a maenad, nymph from the Gods.“ The mysterious person said proudly.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“You do not even have a guess, I feel insulted,” she said as she pulled down her hood, showing her face.

“Lucy, impossible,” I screamed! 

“Yes, possible,” she said, smirking. “I am an Empusa servant of Hecate and a vampire.”

“But the Greek Gods aren't real?” I said, scared. 

“You shouldn’t say that,” she said as a lightning bolt crashed into the earth. “Zeus gets angry when someone says he is fake.” She said seriously.

“Oh, I am pale, and I have fangs but Empusa are shape-shifting vampires so we can change our body into any person that we have seen.” 

“Why are you here then?” I asked 

“I am here to serve the son of my lady, you. “She said smirking 

“Wait, are you saying I am the son of Hecate?” I asked angrily. “My mother left me she isn’t no Goddess.”

“You must understand the gods fear your mother since she is the daughter of 2 titans so to make her not a threat, they said she could not have children. That is why she left you.”

“But if I am a demigod why do I not have any powers or weapons,” I asked suspiciously

“You do,” She said, “They were just hidden inside you only to opened to Hecate or one of the servants,”

“And the weapons,” I asked

“I have your blade. but it is also why I came,” She said, “Usually when a demigod gets his first weapon it is run by Hecate herself to be able to kill monsters.”

“What do you mean usually,” I asked 

“If you let me finish, I could tell you,” she asked annoyed, "Hecate has been kidnapped by her main enemy Clytius, the Lord of Shadows. If we do not save her no one will ever be able to kill monsters again and the Earth will plunge into the eternal darkness of Clytius."

“Then why did you come to me,” I asked, surprised that I was worried about my mother. 

“I came to you because Clytius can only be killed by someone with Hecate’s blood who can kill him."

“But didn’t you say that no one can kill monsters any more with their blade than how can I kill Cluthuis? “ Asking with suspicion.

“Yes, but remember I said most blades are carved with magic runes,” she answered. “I do not usually use a blade. I use my fangs and claws. Your blade is hell’s steel the metal of the titans. tempered with the River Styx and blessed with magic so that no one other than you can hold it. That makes it be able to kill monsters without runes.”

“If hell’s steel is so powerful why doesn’t everyone use it,” I questioned 

“Well, that’s because you have the blood of the titans in you. The sword will curse anyone else unforgivable pain for as long as they live. “She answered.

“Well then that answers the weapon part, what about the powers,” I questioned 

“Your powers should be growing right now because I opened the barrier when we started talking.” She answered 

“Okay so when are we going to this giant,” I asked ready.

“The priestesses of Hecate have felt blasts of shadow magic near the Washington Monument. Which is about 26 miles and we only have 8 hours before Hecate is consumed and the world will succumb into endless darkness.” She said.

How do we get there? None of us have a license and if we walk it would take way longer."

“Well duh we're going to use magic.” She said humorously. “Hold on,'' she said as she put her hand out. Now think of the Washington Monument hard, make it the only image in your brain.”

“As I did so I felt a green flash against my eyelids and when I opened my eyes we were right in front of the Washington Monument but we could barely see it due to tons of swirling shadows that were around it. How did I do that?” I asked Livvy.

“Does are your powers,” she said happily, and then she unexpectedly hugged me.  “Now before we go in thank you for being a great friend,” she said as I blushed 

“Likewise,” I answered. As we walked toward the Monument 

“Hahaha, they will never beat me.” We heard a voice boom as we sneaked into the main center room.

“My son will find me and he will help me escape.” Said a very feminine voice that sounded as old as time.

“That is your mother,” said Livvy proudly

“No, he won't. He was never as powerful as his sister.” the voice boomed again, shaking the earth. 

Then it finally sank in. I had a sister that I never knew about another family member that filled me with rage but before I could run and rip Clythuis into pieces for hiding my sister.

“He said,” And if that weakling father gave in the example I could easily kill him.”

After that set in my rage finally blew. 

I heard Livvy scream “no.” 

But that did not stop charged at Clytius swinging my sword with just pure adrenaline hoping to land a fatal blow. I could also hear Livvy fighting monsters. I only barely remembered Earthborn, Dracaena, and I think I also saw solid shadows figures but everything that attacked her was ripped apart by the fangs that had sprouted out of her gums as she ran toward my mother. But that did not stray me away from my true purpose to destroy Clothes for destroying my family. But even that was a problem it felt like every blow I delt healed the stupid monster and he still just kept on coming forcing me into turning defensive wasting my energy levels. Then I remembered that I was the son of magic and I had powers. I tried thinking of the chandelier right above Clythuis’s head and in a bright flash of light I was there and I looked down seeing Clythuis confused. I took my chance and I jumped. Bringing my blade down hoping for the best as I saw Clythuis finally understand.  My blade was burning with hellish fire as I brought it down cutting straight thru Clythuis’s armor and bringing him down. 

“It was not me who separated your sister and you. It was the Olympians.” His last words. As I stared at the body of my mother’s nemesis I saw Hecate and Livvy destroy the last of the monsters.

I walked towards and I cut straight to the chase asking Hecate If the Olympians actually kidnapped my sister.

And she answered with the words I did not want to hear “yes they kidnapped your sister due to the fact that if you were raised together there was a chance that you could grow powerful enough to expose the gods.” 

“Then we are going to find her without your help or not,” I said toward my mother still angry. Then I turned to Livvy “are you going to help.” I asked 

“Yeah duh, best friends forever,” she said happily 

“Then we are going to go to Olympus and question them next week but first, we are going to have to go before the cop catches us,” Hecate said.

And for the first time in 14 years, I finally felt like I had a family.