The Unknown Calls | Teen Ink

The Unknown Calls

January 5, 2023
By spoopyghostly SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin
More by this author
spoopyghostly SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I made this in middle school when I was an army (BTS fandom), I cringe at everything when I read this but hope you enjoy this cringe-worthy story. 

The author's comments:

The most cringe story I've written-

I was just sitting in my 7th-hour class,  finance class with Tae. He and I have been friends since 1st grade and we have been inseparable from each other ever since then. We had bracelets, sleepovers, and even our own logo for a shop we wanted to make together. In the middle of the year of 6th grade, Me and Tae both asked our parents to move to Tokyo. My parents have been thinking about moving ever since 5th grade. But on the other hand, Tae’s parents wanted to stay in Korea but agreed that I and Tae were inseparable. After school, we flew to Japan and drove to Tokyo to find places. We found a beautiful apartment for less than our place in Korea, perfectly by stores and in a nice neighborhood. After 5 months’ worth of my parents searching for jobs, they both found jobs near the apartment and enrolled me in the nearest school between me and Tae. And so now that my life so far in Tokyo. But anyways, our teacher Ms. Kither has always been awkward lately. An example of this weird phenomenon is when I forgot my worksheet at home, it randomly appeared right in front of me like it was already there. I don’t know if I’m going crazy or something, but something weird is happening in this classroom, and it always has been weird ever since. 

“How am I supposed to do this?” I asked, we were learning how to screenshot our homework, even though it seemed pretty easy. It’s extremely difficult if you haven’t been paying attention. Ms. Kither looked at me annoyed and told me to be quiet, but Tae told me how to and kept doing it for about 10 minutes with about 100 screenshots. Me and Tae were doing our homework and when we heard our names get called to the office, in a deep husky voice we heard our classroom speaker.

 “Park Starlite and Kim Taehyung come to the office right now” so we head off to the office, then we see our principal and he told us that we were going to have detention after school for 30 minutes for being a second late, A SECOND.  Even though that was for 6 hours, why did they just realize it now?

 “Why did you call us now rather than earlier?” 

“Well, I didn’t want to interrupt your learning.”

“YOU ALREADY ARE BY HAVING US HERE!” 

“I understand but It’s for th-” 

“NO, IT’S NOT”

While Tae was arguing with the principal, I saw a dark figure that had purple smoke and was whispering “Join us!”  it sounded like someone that was dying and smelt like rotten food and the spiciest thing ever, even though I knew who it was but I couldn’t say it, it was like someone was covering my mouth so I didn't say anything. Then, Tae was snapping at me to get my attention.

 “We had to have detention in a week then” when I looked back, nothing but the lockers were in the hallway. I knew if I told Tae what happened, he wouldn’t believe it and joke about it for hours and hours. After the school day ended, we walked home and some boys that were about 15 or 16 years old, were making fun of me. I knew that they were because they usually say the same old stuff.

 “Your parents left you because of your ugliness and your friends have nothing but their meaningless lives!” I knew that they overheard my conversation with the principal. By the way, Tae was overprotective of our friends and me so if something such as one of us had a breakup with our boyfriends, he would kill them (so he says) but he is still the sweetest person that I’ve ever met. But his parents died in a shipwreck 3 months ago, our group comforted him during that and we have always been close to each other since then. We don’t bring it up no matter what, but all of it seems skeptical. I just ignore it so nothing else happens.  When Tae’s family got the news, I told the principal the day after so if Tae either doesn’t come to school or sleeps in class, he could take a 30-minute break so he can get the news off his mind. Then when I was about to say something til Tae snapped back at them.

“Well, at least we don’t use someone’s personal information and use that to bully someone so we can feel better!” He grabbed my wrist and we ran as fast as we could til we got home. Thankfully, I have a photographic memory and know what the boys look like so I need to tell the principal if the bullying went too far. Me and Tae both live together with Jin because my parents lived “the best life” somewhere and left me with my grandma, who had died a year ago. We work at jobs so we can pay rent, Tae works at a Wendy's down the street from us and I work at the local grocery store a block from our house, and Jin works from home. We mostly spend the whole day doing work and having fun. I got some of my homework done for some of my classes and it was about 8:50 pm when I finished most of it. I got ready to hit the hay and lay down. I was about to fall asleep when I heard something running, I thought I was Jin just having his usual “fear of the darkness” but when I checked his room he was dead asleep. When I went down I saw the same figure with the same stench placing down something and disappearing. I checked to see what it was and it was just a note, the only thing I could make up from the note was: “your friends wanted to play and so we joined in” which meant that these dark things only came from one person, my ex-best friend Yoongi. He was a sweet person before his parents forced him to use dark magic and told him to destroy everything. He was unable to take control of what he wanted to do with his life since his parents made him do things that I know he would never do. I even told him that he could live with me, Tae, and Jin without hurting us and everyone else. He denied it and started using the magic against us and we had to protect the one thing that he wanted most, which was our friends who had powers that were unbelievable. If anyone gets a hold of their magic, they would have unlimited power and could possibly destroy everything they want.  Plus Yoongi hurt only one person because his powers were out of his control, so we told him that he could come with us to practice our powers and control them. Every time I asked he would say yes but not appear, so I stopped asking and stopped being friends with him altogether. 


I woke up Jin & Tae, we all try to find our emergency portal orbs and we were only left with 6 orbs, I knew that Yoongi’s “minions” took the rest so we can play the “game” fairly, and we set off to the first location, the clouds. We usually go up there so we can hang out without annoying the neighbors because we are REALLY loud and we have our own space, we can be as loud as we want. We checked in the most possible spots, the bathroom, living room, and even the basement.  No sign of anyone except us, so we checked out the recent traveling list. 

“WHERE ARE THEY?” Jin growled. I knew that he was starting to get frustrated, and if I told him to cool down he would snap at me. I saw the black laced boots that were the size of a wolf foot, “Size 9, cool” and right after I said that

BOOM!

We heard something hit the roof and so I and Tae checked, asteroids that usually come from space weren’t coming from the sky, they were coming from something above us. We looked up and saw, Yoongi, he was trying to make us lose track of his “game”, but Jin was still inside checking and I went down to find out that Jin found someone that wasn’t me or any of our friends. It stated that someone by the name of “shooky” traveled to new york so we followed them or whomever. I stopped and said “There was something in the hallways in school,” Tae and Jin stopped and looked at me.

 “What did you see?”  Tae asked. 

“This black figure that looked like some kind of half-wolf half-human”

“I SAW THE SAME THING,” they both said, I felt like something touched me like someone was tapping my shoulder to get my attention. I turned around to nothing, I shrugged it off and said “What can possibly go wrong on this que-” turned around with someone disappearing right in front of my eyes.

“NOOOO!” I screamed, Jin was being split into little light bugs, and by the time he got to him, he was almost gone right before he disappeared. I whispered “Just know I love you and will miss you” and hugged him as long as I could and DING he was gone. I cried so much and Tae told me something but I ignored him. I lost 2 friends already and my brother-like friend. Now I have my closest friend that is like a brother to me. “I will do whatever it takes to get Jin back,” I said and went through the portal, Tae followed. It landed us where Lana & Sim lived and I and Tae realized that Lana and Sim used dark magic for something that I didn’t know. So I tried to think back to find signs of them using dark magic, the only time that I can think of was when Tae, Jin, Lana, and Sim were watching some movie that included the bad and good guys fighting and we heard them say “yeah get them” and “yes!” After the movie was over, they asked,

“Why did they have to die?” They seemed very annoyed. I knew right then and there that something was up and then I heard Tae and Jin saying when we were outside, 

 “Um because they are the bad guys and the bad guys always lose” with an “ obviously” look. And they rolled their eyes at us and left. The guys were talking to each other about what just happened, on the other hand, I saw dark shadows coming from them. I was very concerned but then I saw black orbs moving around them, I ran to them and looked at them concerned. They told me “WHAT?’ I was shaken by the fact that they weren’t themself by their eyes, dark and soulless, the boys saw me and ran to me and then everything went black.


I asked Tae about the incident.

“So what happened after I fainted when that weird thing happened with Lana and Sim?” He told me that he and Jin took me to our house and put a warm towel on my head. Then I remembered why I fainted, their eyes showed their real selves, imprisoned in their own body by someone that I didn’t know at the time. And everything connected, Yoongi put them under a spell so he can erase my memory to join his little dumb army or even become the queen of the underworld. Tae looked at me worried, I had an urge to cry at the thought but tried to hide it. I searched Lana and Sim’s apartment and saw that Lana’s room was filled with dark energy. I screamed “TAEEEEEE” and heard him running to her room. He asked “what’s wrong” 

‘I-I saw the magic…..” and pointed at the left corner of the ceiling, he gasped in fear and I saw him take out a silver Tyrfing from his lanyard.  

SWOOSH!

The sword cut the shadow, causing the shadow to scream, then the shadow disappeared into the wall. I saw the Tyrfing turn into a little heart charm that he put on his lanyard. I asked “Where did you get that?” he replied saying “From my parents, they told me to use it and that stereo is also a magical item”  I took the stereo charm and it turned into a purple wand that was my height. “Impressive” I heard that voice before...


“SIM,” I said and Tae looked at her and whispered to me “She’s not herself” “I know” I silently growled. Sim looked at me with the same look that made me faint, but I felt my arms become numb and the wand dropped. Sim walked towards me and held me with a magical force that was way stronger than me, and I realized that Tae wasn’t dead but fainted the same way I did. I closed my eyes and hoped that he would get up and stop Sim from erasing my memories. I guess my wish came true because when I opened my eyes, I saw Tae cut Sim so the thing that was controlling Sim screamed, and then I heard Sim try to fight off the thing and couldn’t. The thing started to laugh at her for trying to get rid of it, and I decided to slap her like in the movies so that someone can get out of their conscience, and like in the movies it worked. She hugged me and cried, I could tell that Tae wanted to join, so I motioned him to join. We hugged for a few seconds and Sim told us that Lana and she saw Yoongi when they were going to Starbucks, then they ended up going to his house and he hypnotized them, then Sim also told me that Lana might be still under his spell. But then, I saw big luxurious gray wings come from Tae, he was so embarrassed and ran into the bathroom. We heard knocking at the door, “Is anyone home?” Sim immediately ran to the door and opened it, “LANA?”. I walked to the door and indeed saw Lana but she was...different, her clothes were damp like she was running through the rain. But it wasn't raining and I asked her “What happened to you?” then everything went black.


When I woke up, I saw myself in the hospital and there was a huge window next to my bed but the crazy thing is I didn’t see trees or the roof. But instead, I saw seaweed and coral-like buildings. At the moment, I thought it was because they gave me medicine but it wasn’t. I saw Tae, Lana, and Sim, and it looked like they were worried about something. “What happened?” I moaned, they looked at me with a concerned look and went out the door. Then the doctor came in and asked me questions that I didn’t have answers to, like “did your parents ever tell you that you have water-like powers?”  and I would always answer “No” and then I realized that I WAS UNDERWATER and how would I understand the doctor if I didn’t have the powers. So I decided to try to get up, but I swam around and asked the doctor when I could leave, he told me that I could leave but with caution. I was confused but forgot about it, I mean what will go wrong if I leave? And when I swam to my friends, they looked brave but for what? I knew that they were still scared of something.

 “Why are you guys so worried?” 

“You don’t need to know right now”, I was still confused after the doctor said “leave with caution” but this started to make me scared and a tear started to form. And of course, no one can see it because we’re in the water but what do I have to do in order to save Jin? I would do anything but I have no ability to save him. I asked my friends if we could leave but surprisingly they said yes. I thought they were going to say no because of whatever they’re scared of but it’s whatever. All of sudden, I heard someone saying my name in a way that sounded sincere but also sounded rude, “Starlite” but when I looked back nothing. But when I looked back, I felt something in my hand. When I opened my hand, I saw a little bell with a note saying “Ring when in danger (Can be used 5 times)” and then I placed the bell on my necklace and caught up with everyone else.


“BEWARE OF MIN YOONGI BRING DEAD OR ALIVE   REWARD: 1,500$” I saw that when we were leaving and still don’t remember what happened, I don’t know how I fainted this time and how we got here. All I know is that somehow, I have a water element from my parents that I didn’t know, I mean they said lots of things like “WE HAVE TO GO BACK!” but I always thought my parents were weird but very funny too. That’s all I remember of them but they left me with my necklace, told me to touch it when you are in danger or am hurt, and left me with my grandma. I heard Tae say that we have to go to the mall but we don’t have money, but saw that we didn’t need to because all we needed was ourselves and our elements or whatever makes us magical. We found things like shirts that turned into water wings that were almost transparent. But we basically brought the whole store because they didn’t have anything in there and we had to pay by a lanyard. And we left with everything and we swam to land, 

“Hey Lana, do you remember where Yoongi lives?”

“I can’t remember” then she asked Sim the same question but answered with the same thing. I tried to remember if I knew where he lived, but I remembered where he used to live. I think he might live there because he’s the type of person to do that, so I guess they took me to the sea so I can be “healed” because they heard from my parents that they used to be enemies and we went into Lana’s car and took us to his childhood home. When we got there within half an hour, we knocked just to see if he was home so I could confront him because I’m not scared of him. But the door opened by me knocking, the house still and silent with something shining in the living room. I walked to the living room and saw a pinkish portal but on the coffee table, there were notes that were from the movie. One said “It’s only impossible if you don’t believe” and about a million more covered the walls like paint. Then I saw a vision of Yoongi going through the portal but right before he went in he was holding a pinkish orb and left. He was hiding it like someone was going to take it, which made me confused, and told everyone what I saw.  And then we all went in together then I realized we weren’t in some magical forest, we were in a different time zone.


We landed in a drive-in theater, it was playing Treasure Island. We saw multiple cars and lots of couples. I asked Tae to check what day it was but when he tried to get his phone, it was gone. Then when we went to the entrance the sign said “OPEN 10 PM-3 AM OPENS ON OCT. 24TH, 1957” we all looked at each other and knew what Yoongi was going to do, change what happened in history. Even though we all are from the same place except Jin, he is from the 1950s and Yoongi is going to ruin Jin’s life. He would jump each year and end up hurting Jin when he was little so when Jin is older, he doesn’t meet us. But the problem with Yoongi doing that is he will end up in jail and mess up the timelines.


We walked to where Jin’s parents lived and asked about Jin but of course, knocked to not seem rude.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK

Jin’s parents answered the door and asked,

“Who are you?”

“Oh, we are friends with Jin!”

They really didn’t care if we were way older than him right now but we told them that we wanted to hang out with him. They called him and he came downstairs, he walked towards us and we walked around his block. We asked him if he wanted to go to the movie that is happening down the street and he agreed. Tae and I wanted to just find Yoongi and end all of this. But I walked to the movie and sat by the screen, waiting to see Cinderella while Tae and I told them that we would go get popcorn and drinks. We walked to the entrance and also checked if Yoongi was inside there. We walked to the park because I remember Jin saying that he would go to the park after an event or dinner. And looking up at the constellations and wishing on the shooting stars, he told us that he would always wish for a nice life. And that nothing else wouldn’t beat that wish. But we saw Yoongi take the orb and smash it on the ground and there goes Jin in my time tied up. All of a sudden, I hear the same voice calling my name, but calmer like it was Jin talking to me but couldn’t reveal where I was because if I talked back to him, I would show where I am because Yoongi can sense people speaking to each other through the mind. So, I decided to reveal myself but I grabbed the bell from earlier and told Tae to ring it when I looked like I was in trouble, and he nodded nervously. So, I walked and purposely showed Yoongi where I was, the tree behind him. And waited for him to notice.


Once he noticed, walked towards the tree behind him and no one was there. He was confused and went back to Jin where I untied him and when I showed him where I was again, I signaled Jin to escape and so he did. And I told Tae to ring the bell and touched my necklace, and all the water and fire came. It twisted and twirled, then

SPLASH!

WOOSH!

He was full of water and his clothes had holes, he had an orb, and right as he was about to throw it and send me to Antarctica. I simply said

“Send Yoongi to a deserted island” which made a portal below Yoongi’s feet and dropped into a tiny island with coconuts then the portal closed, so we left with Jin. We walked to Lana and Sim, and tiny Jin, they were waiting for us at the entrance. I guess we took that long, and we took tiny Jin to his parents and we said goodnight to them since it was like 1:30 am and left. I still had 2 left while Jin and Tae had 1, I told Sim that she and Lana can go together. Then I and Tae told the orb to take us to our home, while Sim and Lana told them to take them to their apartment. Then Jin told the orb to take him to our house, so all of us jumped at the count to three and we appeared in our time zone. Still, just to check I asked Tae what it was today, and his phone was in his pocket, I went to the basement and grabbed one of the orbs and threw it saying “to the junkyard” and threw all the orbs and everything that takes us back in time or even takes us anywhere. I came back upstairs and saw the boys do the same. “Promise that we won’t time travel again!”

“We promise!” the boys said and went to sleep after a crazy two weeks of saving someone who was really close to me and Tae.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.