Mystirous One | Teen Ink

Mystirous One

January 24, 2019
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I am 16 years old and this story was supposed to be a short story for a class I had. I ended up to keep writeing and it truned into a book. I will be writing a second one soon.

I find myself in an alleyway, not quite sure how I got here.  I turn my head and see shadows walking towards me I didn’t know what to expect.  I jump up and start asking “who are you? What do you want? Why are you here?” 

             “Its all right we are the Callister’s. We have been watching you for a while, may I know your name?” Said the elderly lady.

             “I. I’m David” I said

             “Well David would you like to come home with us?” Said The lady again.

             I nod my head and walk towards them and see a total of three people. We walk to their car and then when we reach their house I find a warm bath and clean clothes waiting for me. I take off my dirty, smelly clothes and get in the bath. Its been a while since I have had the feel of silk like liquid touch my body. I wash my self up and put my clothes on. I walk into the kitchen and over hear the older man “He can’t stay with us he has to go to an orphanage or somewhere”

             “He has no where else to go. We don’t have the money to give him to the orphanage.” Said the lady as she turns her head and finds me listening, she walks up to me and asks, “How old are you David?”

             “12 I think” I said

             “You think your 12? How do you not know how old you are son?” Said the man

             “I don’t remember my birthday. I don’t remember my family or anything.”  I say

             “Well dear you can stay with us, and we aren’t giving you to the orphanage you will have a new family here with us. Now you must seem tired let’s show you your room.”

             I nod my head “Thank you um...”

             “Call me Mrs. Callister” she says

             She shows me my room and lets me be. I lay in bed for quite a while enjoying the comfort of the mattress under my back and the pillow below my head. Then I fall asleep.

             I wake up the next morning and find a shirt and a pair of jeans on my bed, I put on the clothes and walk down to the kitchen that I first saw when we walked into the house.  There were eggs, pancakes, orange juice, and toast on the table waiting to be eaten.  

I sat down and the older woman who I assumed was the mother ask “Do the clothes fit well?”  I took a bite of my food and nod my head. 

After I swallowed, I said, “Thank you so much for taking me in, and for the clothes, I feel cleaner then I have ever felt.”   I finished my food and cleaned off my dish. 

             That afternoon I took a walk down to the store to buy some clothes and food.  When I walked into the store the store clerk looked at me with fiery in his eyes.  I went to go get my things and give them to the clerk.   He wouldn’t scan them, so I asked him “are you alright sir I am in a hurry and need to get home” he just stood there.   I wasn’t sure what to do or what else to say, then he just shook his head and scanned my things.  I pay him the cost and grab me things and leave.  I get home and tell Mrs. Callister about the man.

“He seemed offlay mad about something he wouldn’t stop staring at me with those flaming eyes.”

“Well maybe he was just having a bad day” said Mrs. Callister.  I nodded my head and went to my room.  I couldn’t stop but wonder what was bothering the man or how I could help.  Then I figured it out I grab my coat and head out the door, but before I could leave Mrs. Callister asked

“Where are you going at a time like this” I looked down at my watch and it was already 10:00 at night there was no way the store was still open, so I put my coat back and take a seat.  

I told Mrs. Callister “I plan on helping then store clerk, maybe he needs help with the store.  He might be working to much he is just angry all the time. 

She looked at me and put her hand on my shoulder and said “You can’t help him David he just doesn’t like people.  I’ve tried many times thinking the same thing.  He is just a stingy ol’man who likes to do things on his own. I just sat there. I thought for a moment then I got another idea, but I didn’t tell Mrs. Callister about it and just headed to bed.

             I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and get dressed. I get my shoes and coat and head out the door.  I mumbled to myself “this has got to work I’m sure no one has thought of this before.  Maybe if he sees how well the outside of his store looks, he will sure to cheer up.”  I walk into the farberwar store and buy 3 cans of white paint. I start heading to the store and hope the store clerk isn’t there.  I put the paint cans on the ground open one up and grab my paint brush.  I start to pain the front side of the store first, so it’s done before the store opens.  While I paint the store, people walk by looking at what I am doing no one stops to help.  I get done with the front at 8:00 a.m.  I finish painting the whole outside of the store by 11:00 a.m.  I head home with paint all over my clothes and skin.  As I walk into the house Mr. and Mrs. Callister just look at me with wonder. 

Mrs. Callister walks up to me and asks “what in the world happened to you, where were you, when did you leave.? What is that on you, paint?” 

I just stood there smiling “I painted the ol man’s store all the outside it looks fantastic.   I got done right before he got there.”  Mrs. And Mr. Callister just stared at me.  “I have to go clean up and Ill be down for breakfast” They let me through and just look at me as I leave.  I get done cleaning myself up and head down stairs.  

Mrs. Callister is on the phone when I get down there.

“Yes, I understand. No, I didn’t.  I know and I’m sorry but maybe you should be happy someone fixed it up for you Mr. Anders.” Then she hangs up the phone.  

“Is everything alright” I ask Mrs. Callister. 

She nods “it was just Mr. Anders he called asking all these questions like if I knew who painted his store and if I knew why it was done.” 

“I am sure in the end he will enjoy the fact that someone fixed up his store the paint was chipped and falling off I did him a favor” I said. I get my food and headed to my room.

I head downstairs and tell Mrs. Callister “I am heading to the store” She just nods. I grab my coat and head to the store. When I get there more people were there then when I first lived here. I walk to the counter and see Mr. Anders with a smile on his face. “Is that a smile I see Mr. Anders?”   I say. 

He smiles “It sure is David thank you so much for painting my store if you do my inside for me, I will sure pay you.” 

I smile at him and say, “Oh no, there is no need to pay me I will be just as happy just doing it.”  I grab my food and some cleaner for the house and hand them to Mr. Anders.  He scans the items gives me the reciete and tells me to have a good day.   I walk out of the store and head home. I walk in and tell Mr. and Mrs. Callister about Mr. Anders smiling. They both looked at each other then looked at me.

Mr. Callister asks “are you sure he was smiling, and it wasn’t a frown” 

I nod “I am sure he was smiling he thanked me for doing the outside offered to pay me if I did the inside of his store. I told him not to worry about the money and I’d just do it for him tomorrow morning.” 

Mrs. and Mr. Callister smile at me and say, “well that very kind of you and I am sure he was just as surprised as we are.”  I just stand there smiling.

“What can I say helping people for a good deed feels great, there is no need to have payment. Seeing people smile is payment enough” I say

             “Well I am glad that you are willing to help without payment. I have learned a good lesson here.” Mrs. Callister says

             “Mommy can David play with me” says Sally Callister the smallest of the 5 siblings

             “Sweetheart David is going to leave in a bit to help Mr. Anders” 

             “I am sure I can take some time to play with Sally” I say as I pick her up.

             “Now what do you want to play” I ask Sally

             “Hide N’ Seek” she says

             I put her down “Alright go hide while I count” as she scurried off, I start to count “1, 2, 3, 4…., Ready or not here I come” I start looking around for her and when I walk past the jacket closet, I hear little giggles. I turn around open then door and catch her.

             “Found you” I say as I tickle her

             “Hey, you cheated “she says as she laughs

             “Did not” I say

             “Yes, you did, your no fun” Sally says as she runs to play with her other siblings. 

             I laugh and get to Mr. Anders.

             “Mr. Anders are you here?” I say when I walk in the door.

             No response.

             I say a bit louder “Mr. Anders!?”

             “Over here David.” Mr. Anders says.

             “Where do you want me to start at?” I ask

             “In the back by the fridges then move forward to the counter” He says

             “Alright” I say I go get my paint and paint brush and start moving in up and down strokes on the wall. I smooth out the paint then move on to the next section. By the time I get done, I see I am messier then I was when I did the outside.

             “Alright Mr. Anders its done and looks better then ever.” I say

             “Thank you so much David. Are you sure I can’t pay you?” He asks

             “I’m sure” I say as I head out the door.

             I get home and start washing up. I get dinner ready and set it out on the table. Mrs. Callister comes in and looks at the table and dinner.

             “Wow David you out did yourself tonight” She says

             “Just thanks for taking me in that night you found me in the alley”

             She just smiles and walks away.

             I finish preparing dinner and setting the table and have everyone seated for dinner. I serve up the food.

“Yum is if good” says Sally

             “Thank you Sally.” I say

             “She’s right David you really did well, how’d you learn how to cook this?” Says Mrs. Callister

             “I think my mom taught me when I was younger.” I say

             “Well she must have been a great cook” Mr. Callister says.

             “I am not sure if she was or not, she died when I was young” I say

             “Oh, dear I’m sorry to hear that.” Says Mrs. Callister  

             “Its alright I lived with my aunt until I was 14 then she kicked me out because she thought I was just as bad as my dad.  She never really liked my dad, but I never met him.  He left my mom when I was 2 years old.  So, I was living on the streets for a long time until you guys found me.”  I say  

             “Well I am glad we had found you.  You are a great help and Sally enjoys your company” Mrs. Callister says

             “I do not” Says Sally

             We all laugh.

I sit in the kitchen thinking to myself while everyone else sits in the living room watching “The Adventurous Babysitter”.  Mrs. Callister walks in and sees me sitting in the kitchen with a blank face.

             “Is everything alright, David?” She asks

             “Everything is fine, I have just been wondering what my parents look like and if they found me would they be happy.”   

             “Well I’m not sure. Would you like to do some research on your parents and see if you can find them?”   

             “That would be great, but I don’t even know where to start.”   

             “I can help you with that. We can start by using your last name.” 

             I look at her with question. 

             “Did I say something wrong?” She asks. 

             “No, I just don’t know my last name other then Callister. I wasn’t ever called anything but David”   

             “Well then let’s go to the hospital here and see is they have a certificate of your name and parents.”  

             “I am not sure I was born here.” 

             “Well how did you end up in Mapleton if you weren’t born here?” 

             “We could have moved. I am not sure, but I guess we can try to look.” 

             “Alright then, we will start tomorrow morning.” 

             I just nod my head and sit there. 

             “Are you sure there is nothing else bothering you?” 

             “Well what if we do find them but they don’t want to see me or talk to me, I mean there’s a reason why they left me stranded.” 

             “I am sure they will be excited to see you just have hope.”   

             I get up from my chair and walk to my room.  I lay on my bed wondering if they will be just as excited as I am to see them.  I wonder what they will be like when I see them.  “Are they even alive anymore?  Are they even here in Mapleton?” I thought to myself as my eyes begin to way down and I fall asleep. 

             I wake up the next morning and look at the clock that reads 1:34P.M. “Oh no, I slept in!” I throw myself out of bed and get dressed. I rush down the stairs and grab a piece of toast.  Mrs. Callister comes out of the living room and asks, “Are you ready to go see what we find out about your parents?”

             “Yes, I am but I did some thinking last night what if they are dead or not in Mapleton?”

             “Oh, don’t worry so much, I am sure they are alive and maybe no in Mapleton, but I am sure we will find a way for you to meet them.”

             I nod my head and head out the door.

             We head to the hospital and start asking about birth certificates with the name David and the birth date of September 11th, 1995. The nurse goes through the certificates and finds it.

             She hands it to me and I look over it. It reads Mother: Allison White Father: Jason Anders. I look at my fathers last name. I hand it to Mrs. Callister and ask, “Do you possibly think that I am related to Mr. Anders?”

             “It could be a strong possibility, but there is only one way to find out.” She says.

             We ask the nurse if we can keep the certificate and she nods her head. We head out of the hospital and go to the market where Mr. Anders works. I walk in the store and ask Mr. Anders “I have a favor I need to ask you and I am really hoping you can help out.”

             He looks at me for a second and I hand him my certificate. He looks at it and see my fathers last name. He looks up at me and says, “Follow me David I believe its time to show you something.” I follow him to the back of store while he gets something of the highest shelf. He puts it down in front of me and opens it.

             “This used to be your fathers.” He says, “I was supposed to give it to you when you were 18 but I believe that you should have it now.”

             I look inside the box and see a bunch of letters and post cards from different states and countries. “My father used to travel?” I ask

             “Yes, he used to, but he stopped after he found out that your mother was pregnant with you.”

             “Where was he when he found out?”

             “He was in Alaska at the time, that where this one came from.” He says as he picks up the snowy post card.

             I flip it around and read what’s on it. “Alaska is cold but isn’t unlivable. Hope to bring you here one day.”

             “He loved to see the world from his point of view and others.” Mr. Anders says. “He would write to your mom everyday telling her how much fun it is and that one day he will take her.” A sad look reaches Mr. Anders face.

             “Are you alright, Mr. Anders?” I ask

             “Well when you were 2 your father died, he never got a chance to take you and your mother on his world tours.” He says

             I look and see a letter with my name on it and open it.

             “Dear David,

             If you are reading this then you are older now and I am dead. I have also wanted to take you on my big world adventures, but before I could I had a few missions I needed to finish. Because you are reading this I had died on my mission and never made it back home. I am sorry you didn’t get to meet me, but all is well. Take care of mom for me. I love you both dearly!

             Sincerely your father”

             I put the letter back in box and stand there. Mr. Anders puts his hand on my shoulder and tells me “You father was a great man.”

             “What mission did my father do, and did he ever finish it?”

             “He was part of the security patrols, he was a detective. He worked many dangerous missions, but he failed this one. It was never finished, and still hasn’t been.”

             I nod my head. “How do you know my father?” I ask

             “Well, he’s my brother, the reason I looked at you the way I did when you first walked into my store is, because you looked like him. When he was younger, he had the same hazel eyes, dark wavy hair like yours. But when you came up to the counter, I knew it couldn’t have been him. I have always wished to see my big brother again.”

             “You are the youngest?” I ask

             “Of the boys yes, but you have 3 aunts one lives here in Mapleton, the other two were more the city type so the moved to New York.”

             “Who are they and who is the oldest out of all?”

             “Your aunt Debris. Your father was just right behind her, then your aunt Mary, then me, and the youngest is your aunt Abby. Your aunt Debris, and Abby moved to New York.”

             “So, does Aunt Mary know I am here?”

             “No, I don’t believe so, but one day I will take you to go see her but today can’t be. I have a lot to do and need to restock my selves. I will let you be will you go through that” He says as he points at the box, then walks away.

             I close the box and head back to the front of the store. “Thank you for the box Mr. Anders” I say

             “Call me Mark.” He says smiling

             “Alright, thank you Uncle Mark.” I say as I leave the store

I walk in the door and Mrs. Callister looks at me with curiosity. “What is that?” She asks

             “It’s a box from my father, Mark had it for when I got older, but he decided to give it to me instead.”

             “Oh, who’s Mark?”  She asks

             “Mr. Anders, he is my uncle and I have 3 aunts one lives here in Mapleton. The other two live in New York.”

             “Is one of the aunts the one that you lived with?”

             “No, that aunt is on my mothers’ side.”

             “Ah, well when will you be going to visit her?”

             “I am not sure, Mark said he would take me.”

             She nods. “What is exactly in the box?”

             “Letters from my dad some were to my mom, and others were to me. I read a few of them, and one is read when one he wrote before he had past away.”

             “So, your father is dead? I am so sorry. When did he die?”

             “Yes, and its fine I didn’t really know him anyway. He died when I was 2 years old. I believe the plan was to tell me he left my mom then and never came back, that’s why I wasn’t supposed to have this box until I was 18.”

             “Still isn’t something you should keep from your child for more then a few years. It only causes trust issues and pulls the child farther away from the parents.”

             “I believe they had a good reason, they rather me hate my father for leaving then having me bring him up to ask questions. Even though I would still ask questions of why he left. Maybe my aunt didn’t hate him, and it was just because he was died and every time, she thought of him she would see him in his casket.” I say

             “That could be a possibility, but he must have done something to her that made her hate him. She shouldn’t have treated you like she did when you lived with her.”

             “That could be true. But I want to find more about my dad, so I am going to read these and go see my Aunt Mary.”

             I walk upstairs with my box and go to my room. When I get there, I set box on my bed and stare at it. “What could my dad have done to make my aunt hate him?” I thought to myself. I end up falling asleep and dream about meeting my parents, and what it would have been like to meet my dad. Was he like me, helpful, caring, and have a bit of humor?

             I hear my alarm go off and it reads 8:45A.M. I get up and head down stairs. No one is home or up, so I walk to the kitchen and go to get in the fridge. I see a note attached to it. “David, we all headed out of town for the day. Have fun visiting your Aunt with Mr. Anders.”     

             I grab a smoothie from the fridge and head out the door. I walk down to the market to meet Mark, so we can go see Mary. He waves at me, and I wave back. “You look like you didn’t sleep last night” Mark says

             “I didn’t, I was up all night wondering if my mom even wants to see me.”

             “Of course, she does.”

             “Then why did she get rid of me?”

             “I am not sure you would have to ask her that yourself.”

             “I guess I would.”

I get in the truck and we start heading down town. Her house is right on the edge of being out of town. I look at her house for a second. It is a small cabin with trees practically hiding it. We drive into her drive way and get out. I see someone in the window and then leave and open the door.

The woman stares at us for a second not knowing who I am or what to say.

“Who is this brother?” She says

“This is your nephew, David” Mark says

“This is David? He is so big and handsome. You look like your dad.”

“Thanks, I’ve been told.”  I say to her

‘How old are you?” she asks

“I am 16 years old now.” I say

“Wow, last time I saw you, you were in the hospital just barley born.” She says “The look in your dads’ eyes when he saw you was like nothing I have seen before and he had smiled so much when he held you. You were his miracle. I am sorry you didn’t get to know him.”

“It’s okay, I have learned some things from the letters he left me.” I say

“Oh yes the box.”

“You know about the box?” I ask her

“Yes, I helped your dad put stuff in it.” She answers

“How did he know he was going to die?” I ask

“He didn’t, but he knew it was a dangerous mission and that he could have a chance he wouldn’t make it. So, he wrote letters to you and his family.” Says Mark. 

“Oh, okay I see.”

“Come inside you two. I can make some breakfast” says my aunt Mary.

We walk inside, and when we walk in, I see the living room with a small chair and a couch with a two people seating. I sit on the couch and Mark sits next to me. Mary comes up to use with some coffee.

“Do you use milk and sugar, or creamer?” She asks me

“Creamer.” I say

“I like mine black.” Says Mark

“Yeah I know you do.” Says Mary “So, do you want eggs with pancakes or my famous biscuits and gravy. I make the biscuits and gravy from scratch.”

“Let’s do your biscuits and gravy.” I say

“Good choice, my boy. Her famous biscuits are the best.” Says Mark

“You were always a fan of my cooking.” Says Mary

She walks into the kitchen and starts her cooking. Mark and I sit and wait until she comes ack with the food and she ask “So, where have you been, David?”

“My mother’s sister had me until I was 10 then threw me out and I lived on the streets until the Callister’s took me in. Not long after that I met Mark here. But I called him Mr. Anders because at the time I didn’t know who he was.”

             “So, you haven’t met your mother yet either?” Asks Mary

             “No. I only know her name, but I haven’t met her yet.” I say

             “You don’t remember anything when you were born?” She asks

             “No. I guess not.” I say back

             I take a bite out of my food, and my eyes instantly widen. “Wow, this is amazing no wonder you ate so much of this Uncle Mark.”

             He laughs “I told you.”

             We eat our food and I have mine gone in just seconds.

             “Would you like some to take home, David?” Asks Mary

             “Yes please.” I say

             She gets a bowl full of the biscuits and gravy and hands it to me. I set it down next to me and ask, “If this a family recipe?”

             “Yes, it was our mothers. She passed it down to me. If you’d like I can pass it down to you. You seem like a great cook.”

             “I am, I cook for the Callister’s sometimes. There was a casserole I made from a recipe I found in my stuff after I lived with my mom’s sister.”

             “You mean the hamburger casserole?!” Mary almost shouts

             “Yes, that one. Why? Is it another family recipe?” I ask

             “No, but your mom used to make it when the whole family was over. It was the most delicious food I have ever had.”  She says “Your mom was a great cook. I could see where you got your cooking from” She smiles at me.

             “That could be one thing I am noticed for.” I say

             “We better get going, I have a market to open up and get ready for the big sales.” Says Mark.

             “Yes, I keep forgetting you are the owner of that store.” Says Mary. “Its was nice meeting you David. Hope to see you again.”

             “Same to you, I just hope my mom will be happy to see me.” I say

             “Why wouldn’t she? I am sure she misses you.” Says Mary

             “Well because she got rid of me when I was younger. There must have been a reason she couldn’t have me.”

             “She didn’t get rid of you; her sister took you from her. Your mom tried to stop her, but your aunt told your mom if she didn’t let her have you that she would tell everyone that she abused the child and your aunt would make bruises on you before anyone could investigate.”

             “Why would she do that, why did she want me so bad?” I ask

             “Because she saw it has a chance that she could have a servant to do her dirty work while she slept the day away.”  Says Mark

             “Well then why throw me out once I was 10 years old?”

             “She thought you would become snobby, and disrespectful. She believed that when boys turn a certain age, they become monsters. That’s why she hated your dad so much. She is one nasty woman, and no one likes her. I believe the reason she thinks men are monsters is because someone once treated her wrong.” Says Mary

             “The truth is she was in love with your father, but he didn’t love her back, he loved her sister and she loved him back, then they got married. So, after your aunt found out your mom was having you, she thought she could take you from her just like your mom took her love from her. That’s what she thinks anyway.” Says Mark

             “Its no like my mom knew she liked him, right?”

             “That’s the thing she did know but she knew he would never love your aunt as much as he loved your mom.” Says Mark “If it wasn’t for your aunt your mom and dad would have never knew each other.”

             “Oh, then why did she get with him knowing her sister loved him? Why not try to talk him into being with her?” I ask

             “Because your mom knew no one else would want her. At the time her sister would say awful things about her, but your dad saw right through the lies and knew how horrible your aunt was that’s why he never would have been with her.” Says Mary

             “My father saw through the lies of my aunt and saw who my mother really was. He fell in love with her and he pretty much helped her live a better life. But my aunt became cold and wanted everything for herself. That’s not right. I think I might go see her, I know she lives here.” I say

             “That’s not a good idea, my boy. If she sees you, she will have a tantrum.” Says Mark

             “Alright then Ill wait a while.” I say and head to the truck

             Mark gets in and shakes his head. We drive in silence until we reach my house the Callister’s still aren’t home. I walk in and start cleaning up the kitchen, so it is ready for dinner. I take out the roast beef and let it cook while I go to my room and get dressed into better clothes.

I hear a knock on the door. I head down the stairs to go answer it, but the closer I get to the door the more something doesn’t seem right so I stand off to the side unsure if I should answer or not. Then the person speaks.

             “Mr. and Mrs. Callister, its Martin from your children’s school I came to talk to you about Sally.”

             I open the door.

             “Are your parents’ home?”

             I look at him for second surprised to hear anyone call the Callister’s my parents then I say “No, they went out of town for the day, but you said it was about Sally I can help you with what you need.”

             “Okay thank you, uh?”

             “David” I say

             “Oh, that’s right your then boy that Sally always talks about. She seems so much happier since you came into her life.” He says

             “Yes, that’s me. Come in take a seat. Would you like some coffee or tea?”  I ask

             “Oh no that’s fine.” He sits down and says, “it smells great in here.”

             “Thanks, I am cooking dinner for my family when they return.”

             “You seem so nice, I can tell why Sally enjoys you.”

             “She never used to when I first got here, she was scared and unsure of me.” I say

             “Well its nice to know she has mellowed to you. Anyway, I am here to tell you about Sally’s progress in class.”  He says “She isn’t doing as great as she could be, I believe something is bothering her. Her grades are dropping, and she is always upset about something. It has just recently happened maybe with in the last week or so.”

             “Well have you tried asking her what could be bothering her?” I ask

             “I did but she wouldn’t tell me, so I asked her if she has a friend she would like to tell, and she told me about the little girl Amanda in our class. I had Amanda go talk to her, and Amanda told me that Sally overheard you and Mrs. Callister talking about you going to find your parents. I believe that she is worried you will leave and not return.”  Says Martin

             “Oh, I could see how that would upset her. I wouldn’t leave this family, especially when they have been there for me more than my own parents. Plus, my father is dead so I can only find my mom.” I say

             “Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.”

             “Its fine I never knew him anyway he died when I was 2 years old. I wasn’t close with him or anything so its fine.”

             “Well, when Mrs. Callister return you and her should have a talk with Susan, I am sure she would like to know everything.” He says

             “Of course. Is there anything else you needed to tell Mrs. Callister?” I ask

             “Oh yes, I have this folder for her, it has all of Sally progress and repots on it. If you could have Her go over it. There are also some worksheets for Sally to do, maybe you could help her with them.” He says as he gets up to head to the door.

             I stand up and nod my head “I will defiantly help her.” I say

             “Good. Have a nice day, David.” He says

             “You too.”

             We shake hands then he leaves. I go back into the kitchen and got over the Progress repots and see that Sally is failing almost all her classes. She is very smart and never fails. She must be very upset over the fact I want to meet my mom. I put the folder on the counter for Mrs. Callister to see and I check the food.

             I am laying in my bed when I hear the front door open. “David? We’re home.”  I head downstairs and hand Mrs. Callister the folder. She looks at it.

“What is this?” She asks

             “It’s Sally’s report and progress.” I say with disappointed look

             “She isn’t doing well?” She asks as she opens the folder and see’s what I saw.

             “She thinks I am going to leave the family, she over heard me tell you about meeting my parents. She is scared she will be left alone again. Martin said she has been upset for the last week or so.”

             “Oh no. I believe we should talk to her about it. She wouldn’t be alone even if you did leave. She has her 4 other siblings. Maybe not right now since they are gone with their real dad, but she still has them.” She says

             “Why isn’t she with them?” I ask

             “He isn’t her dad she came from me and Mr. Callister.”

             “Okay, that makes more since. Should we talk to her right now?” I ask

             “Yes, she should know.” She says “Sally! Sweetie! Come here mommy needs to talk to you!”

             Sally came out of the living room and says “Yes?”

             “Sit down for a second.’ Mrs. Callister says

             “Am I in trouble?” Sally asks

             “No, David and I just need to tell you something.”

             “David’s leaving isn’t he, he is going to leave us for his real parents.” Says Sally almost in tears

             “No, Sally I am not leaving. I am going to meet my mom, but I won’t leave you. You are my family. I am not going anywhere.” I say to her while I put my hand on her shoulder

             “Good! You are a great big brother and I don’t want you to go.” She says

             I smile at her calling me her big brother and I look at Mrs. Callister who is smiling as well with tears in her eyes.

             “Sally, we need to talk about your grades though.” Says Mrs. Callister

             “I know, I just haven’t been able to focus. I thought David was leaving.” Says Susan

             “Don’t worry David isn’t leaving.” She says

             “Sally, you have worksheets in the folder, and I am going to help you with them.” I say

             “Okay” She says

             Mrs. Callister take the work sheets out of the folder and hands them to me. I set them in front me and Susan. There is English, Math and Science worksheets for her to do. They aren’t due until next month I look at the date and it is September 9th, 2011. We have until October 10th, 2011.

             “We do 1 worksheet a week, so that you still have time to do what you want.” I tell her.

             “Okay thank you David. May I finish my show then do this please?” She asks

             I look at Mrs. Callister who is still going over the folder and she nods her head. Susan gets up and go back to the living room. I get up and check the food.

             “You really are like a big brother to Sally. She feels safe with you, and I can tell she enjoys you being in this family.” Says Mrs. Callister

             “I would do anything to protect her. She is a beautiful little girl and she can do anything if she puts her mind to it.” I say

             “She can, she is so smart, and brave. She is the strongest little girl I have ever seen.”  Says Mr. Callister which startles me, because I didn’t know he was listening to us. “David, you are the best thing that has happened to this family. We are all glad to have you here.”

             “Thank you, you guys have brightened my world and made things better for my life. Without you guys I would still be in that alley eating from the trash can.” I say

             “We are very lucky we found you I must say.” Says Mrs. Callister “You are a great help to this family.”

             I smile and get the table set for dinner. We have roast beef, with rolls and butter. I sit there slowly eating my food, apricating everything that has been given to me. Without these people I would be starving and in the cold. They have given me love and care. I couldn’t ask for more. Now I will be meeting my mom. I will get to see if she has really been looking for me or not.

I have lost my father, but when you lose something you end up gaining. So much has happened to me and so much will happen, but you must accept what life gives you and keep pushing forward. I have my parents. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

             Mrs. Callister walks up to me and asks “Are you sure you want to see her? What if isn’t who you think, and you get disappointed?”

             “I don’t think it matters. You are the one that have been here for me, so if she isn’t the woman, I think she is then Ill be fine.” I say

             “Well if things get out of hand you know what to do.”

             I nod “I know. But I don’t think it will get to that point, I mean after all she wasn’t really that close with me so she can’t say she has known me my whole life.” I say

             “I guess your right but still isn’t fair to you.” She says

             “I know it isn’t, but all will be fine. I can take care of myself. Plus, she’s my mother I don’t think she would try anything.”

             “Never know but okay. If you are sure about this, I will take you to her tomorrow, if you’d like”

             “Really? That would be great.”

             “Alright, just make sure you have everything you need. And you are only staying for the weekend?” Ask Mrs. Callister

             “Yes, I don’t think Sally would let me stay any longer.” I say while laughing

             Mrs. Callister laughs as well “Yes, well she has a big heart for being a little girl.” She says

             “That is very true.” I say

Mrs. Callister hugs me and walks out of the room. I stand there stunned at first, because I don’t get hugged very much. I start to pack some clothes and my dad’s box with the letters. I think of what else I need and finish up packing then put everything next to my bed for the morning.

             I lay on my bed until my eyes close and I start to dream. I wake up the next morning and look at the time, its already 8:30 A.M. I get up and put some clothes on, make my bed, then head downstairs. Sally is at the table eating some fruity dyno bites, and Mrs. Callister is preparing her lunch for school, and Mr. Callister is having a cup of coffee while reading the newest news paper that just came in today.  I walk over to the table and grab a piece of toast and a banana.

             “When will you be back?” Asks Mr. Callister

             “Sunday, not sure what time but it will be Sunday.” I say back

             “Where is big brother going?” asks Sally

             “I am going to spend the weekend with my mom. I will be back Sunday though and we will play when I get back.” I say

             “Why so long, why not for 1 second then come home?” She asks

             “Because I want to get to know my mom, but I promise I’ll be back.”

             She gets up and hugs me, I pick her up and hug her back. “I will miss you, big brother” she says

             “I will miss you too.” I say as my eyes get misty.

             “We should go, David.” Says Mrs. Callister

             I nod and put Sally down. I say bye to Mr. Callister then head out the door. For a while we drive in silence. Then I ask Mrs. Callister “Are you going to meet her for a little while?”

             “I don’t know. Maybe it would best if not.” She says

             “Well, shouldn’t she know who has been raising her son for 1 year?”

             “Possibly but I think it should wait until after you have been with her.” She says

             Her voice is crackly as if she is going to cry. I just sit there looking out the window watching the forest disappear as we drive by. We reach the house. It is just a small cot with a small red car in the driveway. We pull in and I get out. Mrs. Callister gets out, gives me a hug and says, “Be careful.”

             I nod. I head to the door as Mrs. Callister gets back in the car and backs out of the drive way and she waves good-bye before disappearing. Once she is gone, I knock on the door and no one comes. I knock again and this time a little girl about Sally’s age opens the door.

             I smile at her and ask, “Is Allison here?”

             The little girl stands there and says, “Mommy a boy is at the door.”

             I Look questioned when she walks up tot the door. “Hello?” She says

             “Hi, I am here looking for Allison White.” I say unsure if this is her or not.

             “That’s me, and you are?” she asks

             “I am your son.” I say

             She looks at me up and down and then says “Sorry I don’t have a son. The one I had died when he was 10 years old.”

             I look confused. “No, Ma’am I am David. I am your son and my dad is Jason Anders, he died when I was 2 years old.” I say to her

             As soon as I said my fathers name her eyes got big, and she held her hands to her mouth. Then says through the tears “David, is that really you?”

             “Yes.” I say

             “I can’t believe it. Where have you been? Your aunt said you died.” She says

             “You mean the one that took me from you, because she believed you stole her love. Yeah, she lied she kicked me out and I lived on the streets in an alleyway until a family found me and took me in. I have been with them ever since.” I say

             “You have gotten so big. You look good. Come in, take a seat.” She says

             I Grab my suitcase and walk in. The house has the smells of evergreen and mint. “Thank you” I say

             “Of course. How long do you plan on staying?” she asks

             “A weekend if that’s okay.” I say

             “That is great.” She says smiling

             “May I ask something?” I ask

             “Sure, what is it?”

             “Is that little girl my sister?”

             “Yes, that’s Olivia. But her dad isn’t Jason. I got remarried. He should be home soon. He will be so happy to see you.” She says

             I nod. “So, for 6 years you thought I was died because your sister told you that?”

             “Yes.” She says

             “Why did you believe her, I mean after all the things she did to you, to me.” I say

             “I don’t know, I guess she had a convincing tone in her voice at the time. You haven’t gone to see her at all right?” She asks almost in fear

             “No, I have only met dad’s sister Mary. She is so sweet and makes the best Biscuits and Gravy.” I say

             “Oh yes, her food is the best. I miss it. How is she doing? Who took you?” She asks

             “She is doing great. And my Uncle Mark. I found out he was my uncle after I found my birth certificate.” I say

             “Oh, does that old grump still own the store?” she asks

             “Yes, and he isn’t as grumpy anymore. His store was remodeled.”

             “Oh yes, I saw that I am surprised eh let anyone do it.”

             “Well he didn’t.”

             “What do you mean? Someone just did it? Who, no one hear would dare touch his store?”

             I smile “I did it. I got up early in the morning and bought some paint and started on the outside. Then later he asked me to do the inside and I did.”

             “He asked you to do it? Wow, he must like you. He isn’t a very friendly person.” She says 

             “Yes. I also believe after he found out I was my dads’ son, he had to warm up to me. He gave me a box that dad had put letters in for me.” I say

             “Your father left you a box with letters?’ She asks

             “Yes.” I say

             Olivia comes in and stares at me. “Mommy, why is he here?” she asks

             “Because he is your brother. You know the bot David I was telling you about?”

             “Yes, but you said he was died.” Olivia says.

             “That’s because my sister told me that, she lied.” Says Allison

             “Oh.” She says looking at me then she runs at me and hugs me. She reminds me of Sally.

             I hug her back and smile. I look at my mom and see tears in her eyes. I stand up and walk over to her and wrap my arms around her. “Everything will be alright. I am still your son.” I say

             “I know, I just don’t want to lose you again. Can’t you live with me?” She asks

             “No” I say “I have another sister at home who wants me back by Sunday. But I am sure the Callister’s wont mind letting you come and see me.”

             “Wait you live with the Callister’s?” She asks

             “Yes, do you know them?” I ask

             “Yes, they helped me threw a rough time when your dad dies, but I had you at the time. So, I would see how they didn’t notice you.” She says             

             “They are great people and sweet. I was on the streets for 2 years it would have been more if it wasn’t for them.” I say

             “Yes, they are at least you found a family that loves and cares about you. If I would have known you were alive, I would have tried to find you. I wouldn’t have given up until I did.” She says

             “I understand. I do, I wouldn’t be here with you if Mrs. Callister didn’t help me.” I say

             “She is simply the best.” She says as her new husband comes in

             “Who’s this?” He asks in a deep voice it sounds like he is almost mad

             “Sweetheart, this is David, my son.” Says Allison

             “I thought he was died, that’s what your sister said.” He says

             “She lied” I say as I stand up to go shake his hand. He takes mine and I say “David Callister, and you are?”

             “David Callister? Did you get adopted? And I am Adam Smith” He says

             “Yes, I did, and very nice to meet you.” I say

             “You know that family I was telling you about that helped me after Jason’s death?” Allison asks Adam

             “Yes, I do.” He says

             “They are the ones that took him in. He was living n the streets for 2 years, because my sister kicked him out at 10 that’s why she said he was dead.” She says

             “Oh. How old are you now?”

             “16” I say

             “You have lived with them for 4 years already?” He sounds surprised

             “Yes. They are my family and I have a little sister about the same age as Olivia, her name is Sally.”

             “Sally? She here?” Says Olivia

             “No, do you know her?” I ask her

             “Yeah, we go t school together. She helped me when someone pushed me on the playground, we have been friends since.” Says Olivia

             “Oh, that’s sweet of her.” Says my mom

              “Sally is a very sweet girl. She would be friends with everyone if she could.” I say

             “Well why can’t she?” Allison asks

             “Well there are girls that pick on her, and she isn’t the kind of person to hate, but I have heard her tell Mrs. Callister mean things about them.”

             “That’s not nice. I mean for the girls not for Sally. But everyone that has a kind side learns to hate at time to time.” Says Adam

             I nod my head, I know a thing or two about being rude and kind. I had to be kind to my aunt when I lived with her, but I don’t like her anymore. Not with the way she treated me. I think of the time my aunt yelled at me for leaving the house for school, before making her breakfast, then her hitting me. I push the thought away.

Then I remember the recipe I found. I ask my mom “Allison, do you remember the casserole that you used to make?”

             “Oh yes. One of your dads’ favorites. Every time he would come home from one of his world tours, I would make it for him.”  She tells me “He would never get sick of my cooking. He always loved coming home to warm dinner and seeing his new born and me. But he died when you were 2 years old. All the things he wanted to do with you shattered. I was so devastated that you couldn’t grow up and meet your dad.” Her voice is shaky now and tears are growing in her eyes. Adam holds her while she sobs.

Then she wipes the tears and says “He was a great man. He would always bring souvenirs home and show you them, tell you the trip behind them. Every time he told you about his trips your eyes would widen and glow with light. It was the most beautiful thing.” She looks at me and smiles.

“I don’t remember much of him. All I have of him are these letters, and the little post cards from all the places he has been to, or most of them. He sounded like and amazing guy. His brother Mark told me he was going to take you and I on many adventures when I got older, but He had died on his last mission. He says that the mission was never finished and still hasn’t to this day.”

“That is true. It still hasn’t, but no much we can do now. Plus, your father who was the best man they had has past away, and no one has his great investigation techniques. Your father was special, he had all kinds of tricks up his sleeve for terrorists and murders and all you can think of.” Allison says

“I never meet your father but from what your mom has told me, he was the best of the best. He treated her with respect and love.” Adam tells me

“That’s right, and we hardly fought. When we did it was over the fact that he couldn’t tell them that he has a baby to look for, and just take the time off. He would always tell me “The bad cant turn themselves in, so the expert has too.” He always had a way to turn things right again.”

I think about the saying and see the humor he was trying to put into it. He wasn’t saying experts as in his team he was only meaning he could be the only one to turn them in, or else they would still be wondering the streets causing issues. I have been thinking about finishing my fathers’ job, just to do something that would make him proud. Now I believe I will.

“Well” I say “I am going to finish his job. I will finish the mission he couldn’t, and I will come home to you and the Callisters. I will make my father proud.”

“David, it takes more then just shooting a gun. You must know their every move, where they are going to attack next. You must know the bad people more then they know themselves.  You have to know how to fight.” She says

“That’s the thing I do, being on the streets for 2 years can make you do things you never thought of doing. I want to finish my dads’ job. I want to walk in his shoes.” I say in a soft tone. “Even if I didn’t know him.”

“Well if that’s the case I have your dads’ old uniform. Come with me and we will see if it fits.”

I follow Allison to a room that is dark and has the smell of dust and musky air. She turns on the light. There are books, and little toys that look like souvenirs. She opens a chess at the end of a bed, that is well made. In the chest lays a black and white uniform. Allison hands me the uniform and shows me the bathroom. I go in and look at the uniform trying to imagine my father in it. I put it on and look at myself.

When I get out of the bathroom, Allison has a camera and a smile ready to take a picture. I stand there straight up, and smile at her. “It fits wonderfully” She says. “I am sure your father would be proud.” She takes a picture and hugs me. I hug her back and smile even more.

             We walk back to the living room and I am still in my dads’ uniform. Adam looks at me as if I am a different person. “It looks good on you” He says

“He looks just like his dad” Allison tells him

“Should I take it off?” I ask

“No, if anything you should go home in that and tell them the good news. I am sure the Callisters will be happy that you found what you want to do. When do you plan on starting?”

“Hopefully soon, possibly by next week.” Then I remember what about Sally she won’t be happy that ill be gone all the time. Maybe I should wait until I move out. No, I am sure she will be fine, if I return. I must have had a face because Allison and Adam were looking at me with wonder.

“Everything okay?” they both ask

“Yes, just thinking about Sally and how upset she’ll be that I’ll be leaving so soon. Maybe I should wait until I move out of the house.” I say

“I don’t think she will mind if you tell her you are going to explore the world and you will bring her back souvenirs.” Says Adam

“That little girl, has a big but sensitive heart, I don’t think it will work.” I say

I look at the clock and its already 5:45 P.M. I wonder what they usually make here. It doesn’t seem like they have much. “David, we have to go take care of a few things in town would you like to come with?” asks my mom

“No, I think Ill stay here.” I say

“Okay if you say so.” She says as she grabs her jacket, and leaves.

I start to look around in the kitchen to see what I can cook before they get back. I find lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and cranberries. Then I get an Idea, I’ll make a salad. Then I try to see if they have any meats, I find some porkchops, hamburger, and chicken. I grab the chicken and start to spice it up with lemon seasoning, and lemon juice. I put it in the oven for 45 minutes and let it cook. I set the table and prepare the salad.

By the time they get back dinner is waiting and 4 nice cups of Orange juice. “Wow David, did you do all of this?”  my mother asks

“Yes Ma’am. For all you have done for me within the last day I thought I would make you guys dinner.” I say

“Well what is it?” Asks Adam

“A salad I made with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, and cranberries, and then I made lemon chicken. Also, a cup of orange juice I made from fresh oranges.”

“Looks and sounds delicious. I am very proud of how you made all of this with just a few things we had.” My mother tells me

“Well take a seat dinner can’t serve itself “I say

They all sit down and wait patiently while I give them their food. I sit down and get mine last. They all take a bit of the cook I made, and I watch all their eyes get wide. “This is so amazing, I think it might be better then your moms cooking.” Adam jokes around, and then laughs after she hits him.

“He is right though this is amazing. It’s nice to know that you got something from me. How did you learn how to cook like this?” She asks

“I had to cook a lot for your sister when I lived with her. Then spending 2 years with the Callisters I caught on a few things.”

“Well, I think its fantastic. You would be an excellent chef if you really wanted.”

“No, I think I know what my new job will be, and I’ll be just as great at it as I am at cooking. Also, dad would be proud of me from all I have done already.”

“I am sure he is. Even if he isn’t I am.” Allison says

“Me too, my boy. I know I cannot replace your dad, but I can be one for you.” Adam tells me

“Thanks. Well I better call the Callisters. I’ll be right back.”

“He seems so close to them.” Adam says

“He is. I am just glad he found a family.” Allison says

I find my phone in my suitcase and look for Mrs. Callister’s number. I find it and click on it. It starts to ring. “Hello?”

“Hello.”

“How is it going with your mom? Has she tried to make you stay?” Mrs. Callister asks

“No, she just asked if I wanted to. I told her I have family at home who want me back. But I found out more about my dad.” I tell her

“Well that’s good.”

“Yeah it is, but something still doesn’t seem right. She has only cried once since I brought him up, and even then, it wasn’t a very long cry.”

“What so you mean. “Something doesn’t seem right?””

“Well, I am not sure. But I think my father is still alive.” I say

“What about the letters though?”

“That’s what I mean. How did he know he was going to die, just because it was dangerous? I am going to finish the mission that he couldn’t, and I am going to find out the truth.” I tell her

“Are you sure? What if he did die and your putting yourself in the same position he was in? What happens if it all was real? David you got to understand not everything in your life is wrong.” She says

“I know that. But I have a feeling about this. Plus, her new husband seems like a fake as well. There is no ring on her finger either. He seems to know a lot about my dad then 2 years full. I just need more time here; can you give me that?” I ask her

“I guess, but Sally won’t be happy.”

“Sally will be fine. Just tell her Ill be back when I can. I’ll try to figure it out before Sunday but if I can’t, I am going to stay a little longer.” I say

“Alright, just be careful. But I think were you need to start is with the goodbye letter. Check the handwriting, or the way its folded, try to find a hidden message or, read over it until you know.”

“I will. Well I better go. Have a nice night and tell Sally her big brother loves her. I’ll be home soon enough” I say as I hear a noise outside the door

“You to, and I will. Goodnight”

“Goodnight” Then I hang up the phone.

I open the door and see no one there. “That’s strange” I say under my breath. I walk back to the kitchen where everyone is still seated.  I sit down and finish my food.

“How is everyone back home?” Allison asks

“Good, Sally is doing better in school, and she misses her big brother.” I say

“Well you’ll be home Sunday.”

“Actually, I wanted to stay a little longer. I already asked Mrs. Callister and she said it would be fine.”

“What about Sally?” Oliva asks

“She will be fine, plus you two go to school together you can tell her how I am doing.” I say to her

“Okay.” She says and gets back to eating

“Well its very nice of them to let you stay here longer. We will have a ton of fun.” Allison says with excitement

I stare at her unsure if its an act or real. All I know is something can’t be right about her, or her new husband. I look down from her face to her left hand and still see no ring. I look at Adams and there isn’t one either. I will find out what is happening.

“Is everything okay?” Allison asks I look away from their hands and nod my head.

“Yes, everything is fine. I need to go to the store do you think I can barrow the car for a little bit?”

“Sure you can, but do you have your license?”

“Yes, I do.” I say, “Is there anything you need?”

“Yes, I forgot eggs and milk when we were there could you pick them up?” She asks

“Yes.” I say then I grab my jacket and head out the door.

I get in the car and start heading into town. Allison’s house is 5 minutes away from town, so it doesn’t take me to long. I am just hoping Mark has the store still open. I park in the parking lot of the market and barley any cars are there. I get out and head inside.

“Well hello David. How are things going with Allison?” Mark asks

“Not so well. I think something is up. I believe that your brother isn’t dead, and that Allison had written the letter and told everyone he is.” I tell him “She has a new husband, yet there is no ring on either of their fingers. She has a daughter about 10 years old, and her and Adam have only been together for 5 years at the most.”

He looks at me for a second then says, “Follow me.”

I follow him to the back of the store where he gave me the box.

“I have had the same feelings about your mom. Every time someone brought your father up in front of her, she rarely cried. And to think she had loved the man and had a son with him that she would cry. She never does. The tears she sheds are tears of guilt. I had found something out about her a little before you came into my store.”

“What is it?” I ask

“Well let me tell you how I found it, and how I got my suspicions about her.” He tells me, “About a week before you walked into my store I had went to her house. She had me come in and sit down. We had a cup of coffee before we started to talk. Then I knew it was time. I told her “Your son is in town and still alive. He has been taken in with a family, their names are the Callisters.”  When I told her this, she wouldn’t believe me? So, I showed her pictures of you. I had told her that her sister had gotten rid of you after you turned 10 years old.”

“How did you know that before I told you?” I ask

“I had talked to your mother’s sister many times before I ever talked to your mom. You aunt is the one that told me she no longer has you, she said you ran away, but I knew she just got rid of you. Well anyway even with all the proof I had your mother still denied that you were alive. She wouldn’t even try to look for you or talk to the Callisters about it. She wanted to keep believing that you were dead instead of being relieved that you were in fact alive. Which is where I get confused. Why wouldn’t she just accept your alive. Another thing I am confused about tis that she let you stay with her, and she is acting to be relieved you are alive. So, my question is for you, did she try to say she didn’t have a son?”

“Yes. She did, but when I told her who my father was that’s when she finally let me in the house.”  I tell him

“Strange. Well I told her I had a store to take care of and I would let her go. Then before I walked out the door, she had handed me the box I gave you she told me that your father told her to give it to me so I could give it to you. Which is what also got my suspicions about her. I told her I would, but I asked why she couldn’t herself. She never answered me. When I got back here after talking with her, I opened the box and read the letters and post cards. The cards were your mothers, and I looked at the ink on the letter. It was fresh and a different kind of ink than the ink that is used by detectives, and marines. That’s when I started to believe my brother was in fact alive. I think she is hiding him. I also never saw a man in her home when I saw her. This Adam guy sounds new, and you said that she has a girl about 10 years old?”

“Yes. Her name is Olivia” I say

“I also never saw a little girl there, but she could have been in school. Something is strange about this.”

“That’s why I plan on staying longer so find out everything, and with eh theory you told me I will add it up with what I can find. But if you knew your brother was alive, then why didn’t you ask her about it, or tell me he could be?”

“Because I wanted you to find out yourself, the second I saw you I knew you would find your father. I knew you had the skills he has. By the way where did you the suit?”

“From Allison. She had it in a room full of books, and dust. It also had souvenirs.” I say

“A room? Was it like a bedroom?” Mark asks

“I’m not sure, all I saw was books and dust and then a chest with this and other things in it.” I say

“When she gets out of the house go to the room and look in that chest there might be something in there that you can use as a clue or as evidence.”

“I will well I better get some milk, eggs, and then go to the Callisters to grab a few things then head back.” I say

“Probably best. You have my number so call me when she it out of the house and have me on the phone until you either find something or she comes back.” Mark says

“I will.” I grab the eggs and milk then head to the house. When I walk in, I get trampled by a 9 years old girl. “Hello Sally” I say

“Your home already? Mom said you wouldn’t be back for another couple of days.” She says

“No, I am only grabbing a few things then going back but I will be back in a few days. I just have a few things I need to do before I can come home though.”

Mrs. Callister comes in and looks at me from head to toe. “What are you wearing it looks like you are in the army.”

“It’s my dad’s, I think. Allison gave it to me. I am going to complete the mission my father couldn’t.” I say

“Well you look charming. I am just worried you might be right about her.” She says

“I know, but I will be careful, and I won’t get caught. I got the detective skills from my father.” I say

“Well as long as you don’t get caught if you do call me right away.”

“I will and Mark has the same suspicions about her. He told me a few things, but I will tell you later, I need to get back.”

“Alright, we’ll miss you” she says

“I will miss you too.” I say

She hugs me then I run upstairs and grab the things I needed then head out the door. I drive back to Allison’s and get the milk and eggs out. I walk inside and put them in the fridge.

“I’m home. I got the milk and eggs.” I say

“Okay, thanks you.” Says Allison when she comes out of the room, I got the suit in.

“Is everything okay?”  I ask when I see her face looks red and swollen from crying.

“Yes, I just had a talk with my sister. She isn’t the very nicest person. I am just glade you don’t live with her anymore.”

“Yeah same.” I say I force a smile on my face

She smiles back and hugs me.

“I think I need some rest.” I say

“Okay. Me, Adam, and Olivia are going out of town for tonight will you be okay here?”

“Yes. Just call me when you are on your way home, if I don’t answer I am still asleep.” I say then I think to myself, “This is perfect I can find out what I need.”

“Okay I will. Come on you slow pokes we got to go!” She shouts

“Be careful” I say

She nods then hugs me again and they head out the door. I see the headlights leave the drive way and I go straight to the room. I go to the chest and open it. Inside are some more post cards, souvenirs, and a box with a lock on it. I grab the box and try to open it, its locked. I try to find a key but there isn’t one near.

I leave the room and look in the drawers and cupboards, I go to Allison’s room, and look in there. Then there it is right under her jewelry box. I get the box and put the key in it, I unlock it then open it. Inside are letters. I open one of them and it says “Dear Allison, September 30th, 2011” this is just from yesterday. I continue reading it. “I know I am not supposed to be talking to you, because of your new husband, but I love you. I want to be here for you because David cannot. I know you are going through a rough time with him being dead and all, but I am here for you love. Sincerely Jason.”

“This is from my father. She hasn’t told him I am with her, or that I am alive, and she knows he’s alive. Why won’t she tell me?”  I say to myself. Then my phone starts to ring, at first, I thought it was her, but it was Mark.

             “Hello?”  I say

             “David have you found anything?”

             “Yes, I found a locked box. It has letters from my father. There is one in here from yesterday. She hasn’t told him I am alive and with her. She is hiding something from either both of us, or she is hiding me from him.”

             “Ill be there in a few minutes, where is your mom?”

             “Her, Olivia, and Adam left town for the night. They won’t be back till tomorrow.”

             “Alright be there soon.” Then he hangs up.

I look through the letters more. There must be 100 from all the years he was supposed to be dead. Where could he be? Why does he believe her? Why aren’t they together if he isn’t dead? I thought to myself about everything. Then a knock was at the door.

I open the door and there’s Mark. He walks in and sees the house for a second time. “Where is it?” He asks and I hand him the box.

“The top letter is the one from yesterday.” I say

“Okay, how many is there?”

“About 100 or more.”

“All this time he was supposed to be dead, but we find out he’s writing your mom.”

“She has lied to everyone including me, her own son.”

“I don’t understand it either. But if he isn’t dead, we need to find him.”

“I agree. When should we start?”

“Tonight.” He says with fiery in his eyes.

“Where would we even start, the addresses on the letters are different every time.”

“Then we will start with yesterdays. Have you checked to see if there is one in the mail box from today? He has been writing her every day.”

“No.” I check the mail box and of course there is one inside. I hand it to Mark.

“Grab your coat and everything you need, we are going for a little ride.”

“Should I call Allison saying I might not be home, and shouldn’t we write the address down and put the letters back, so she doesn’t know?”

“Your right. Get a pen and a piece of paper and write down this address. Where’s the key to the box?”

I Hand him the key he locks it up and puts it in the room I told him about.

“I am going to call her.” I say I dial her number and wait for an answer.

“Hello?”

“Hey mom, Mark and I are going on a little trip. I should be home by tomorrow night.”

“Where are you guys going?”

“Camping. He is taking me to one of his favorite camping places. Its out of town.” I say

“Oh well have fun. Since your father is dead. I think its great you and your uncle spend some time together.”

“Yeah I agree. Well I got to go. I will call you when we get there.”

“Alright Hun, have a nice night.”

“You too.” Then I hang up.

I grab all the things needed for this trip and head out the door. I get in the truck and Mark comes out a little after me. He gets in and starts up the truck.

“What did you tell her?” he asks

“That you were taking me camping.”

“Nice one.” He says then we leave the house.

We drive in silence for about 2 hours before he asks. “What happens if he notices me and tries to run?”

“If he finds out I’m his son, he will never believe Allison again. Then he will be able to live in peace without her lying to him. She is just as bad as my aunt.” I say

“Well they are sisters, but I never took your mom as the secret type. I believe she has turned cold since your aunt said what she said.”

“But wouldn’t her knowing I’m alive warm her up a bit?”

“Well she never wanted to believe you were alive. She wanted you to be dead, but what I don’t get is why?”

“She has to be hiding something. I will find it out. I got this far finding out my father is alive.”

I find my phone and call Mrs. Callister.

“Its late, what are you doing up?’ she asks

“I am going to look for my dad. Allison has lied. He has been writing her every day.”

“Well who are you with, are you alone?”

“No, Mark has me. He has had his assumptions she has been lying about something.”

“Well you two be careful. Where is he?”

“In Canada.”

“You are traveling that far? What about your mom?”

“Yes, and I told her Mark was taking me camping.”

“Alright. Well have a goodnight. Call me when you get there.”

“I will, and you too.”

Then she hangs up. I look at Mark who looks at me but keeps driving.

“So, she is okay with all of this?”

“Yes.”

There was short talk the whole time we were driving. I must have fallen asleep at some point, because Mark woke me up when we got to Canada. I look at the clock and its already 9:30 A.M.

“How long was I out?” I ask

“For about 4 hours. I was letting you sleep so you weren’t as exhausted when you got to see your father.”

I nod my head.

“Should we get something to eat?” I ask

“I think we should go to that address and take your father out with us.”

“Okay, sounds like a plan.”

“What is the first thing you will say to him?”

“I will say hi, then when he asks who you are, I will tell him.”

“And if he doesn’t believe you?”

“Then you get in and say something.”

“Alright”

It takes another 10 minutes to reach the address that is on the paper. Once we arrive, we both sit there unsure what to say or think. Other then the guy is supposed to dead. We both get out and head to the door. We look at each other once again and Mark knocks.

The door opens and a man stands there. “Mark? Is that you?”

“Yes, big brother it is. I thought you were dead?”

“That’s what everyone thought, why did you all think that?”

“Because that’s was your wife had said.”

“We are together and haven’t been for 14 years.”

About the same time, he was supposed to be dead I think to myself.

He looks at me and asks “Who’s this? Did you find a love and gave a boy?”

“No. Its your son.” Mark says

“My son is dead. Well that’s what Allison told me.”

“She lied. I have been with her for the last couple of days. I had felt something off on her so when she left, I did a little research of my own and found out my father is alive. She has been lying to you, us. I am David, I am 16 years old. And I was told you died when I was 2 years old.” I say to him

“Mark? Am I going insane or did he say his name is David?”

“No, he said it. And he is.”

He looks at me and so does Jason. He sees the suit I still had on. His eyes get big.

“Where did you get that?”

“From Allison”

“That was my old suit when I was...”

“Traveling the world. Yeah I know.” I say “Why didn’t you finish the mission and come home. Why did you leave and have Allison tell everyone you were dead?”

“I couldn’t finish the mission because when we went, everyone that had went to the mission died but me. That’s why Allison thought I was dead. Then she got a letter from me, but she didn’t write back until after her new husband.”

“That’s another thing. There isn’t a ring on either of their fingers. The guy is like a fake, like your death, and mine. Everything she has told you, me, and Mark. They are all lies.” I say

“But, how could he be fake?”

“She has a girl too who is about 10 years old. Her and Adam have been together for 5. So, tell me, have you and her seen each other after you had left when I was 2?”

“David, don’t assume your dad for things like that.” Says Mark

“No, Mark he’s right. The girl is mine. But how did you find out?” He asks

“I kind of put two and two together and found it out. I guess it’s a trait I had gotten from you.” I say

“Well done. I love your mother, but she doesn’t feel the same about me. Her new husband seems to be all she wants.”

“Something still isn’t right” I say

“What do you mean?” Asks both

“If she didn’t want anything to do with me why let me stay with her? Why give me this suit, and why would she hide me from you, and you from me?”

“Your right. She has something else going on. She probably gave you that suit so willingly because then she can have you get actually killed and then she can live with one less memory of your father, but then there’s Olivia.”

“Exactly, why get rid of me but not her? It makes no sense.” I say then something hits me. “We need to get back to Mapleton, Now!” I say

“Why, what’s wrong?”

“Allison is going to kill Olivia. If not her she is going to see her sister and have her sister do it. Then when she leaves Olivia with her sister, she calls the cops for a kidnap and then by the time they get there she’s already gone.”

Mark looks at me with surprise.

“How did you figure that all out?”

“Because he added two and two together.” Says Jason

“Actually, I just got a vision of it all happening.” I say

“I can’t believe this; how could that be possible? You aren’t some magician, are you?”

“No, I don’t know. I am just as surprised as you.”

“Well that makes no sense. But if your vision is right, we better go.”

“What about him” I ask pointing at my dad

“Ill go with she is my daughter after all.” He says

Mark and I look at each other and nod. We all get in the truck and get back to Mapleton. By the time we get back its already 8:49 P.M.

“Take me to the house and you guys go to Allison’s sisters. Ill call you if Olivia isn’t home. If she isn’t bust into the house and find her. At all cost don’t stop. I don’t care how close to death you are. A 10-year-old girl isn’t dying tonight.”

They both nod and drop me off.

I walk inside and see Allison, and Adam on the couch but no sign of Olivia. Allison looks up and says, “Thank god your still fine.”

I ask “What’s wrong? What’s happening?” so I don’t make anything suspicious.

“Olivia was kidnapped, and we can’t find her. We already called the cops.”

“Well let’s help them find her.”

“No. They won’t let us.”

“Well my not going to stand around and not help. This is my sister we are talking about here.” I say in anger and head out the door before Allison can stop me.

“David! You can’t go, if I lose you, I have nothing.” She says

Then it struck me. “You are just putting an act, you are the one who gave her to your sister so your sister could have her dead before the cops get there, but what you don’t know is I have two people already there all I have to do is hit this button and call them and tell them to break in.”

“How do you know that? How could you think that about your mother?”

“You aren’t my mother, you are a fake, just like Adam, and Olivia isn’t his, she’s Jason’s.”

“Jason is dead!” She is yelling now

“No, he isn’t I found the letters, I found him.” I say

“How dare you even try finding him.” She says

“He is my father I will find him if I want. Especially when he is alive!” I yell at her “You only used me, you want me just as dead as Olivia. So, now it’s time everyone knows what kind of mother you really are.”

“Adam help me here.” She says to him

“No. He is right killing Olivia isn’t right, and I am not playing your games anymore. I have noticed the letters too. You can’t hide things like that. When I am the one who checks the mail, I see letters, but I act like I missed them.”

“How dare you turn people against me David. I am your mother and you will listen to me.”

“You are not my mother, and you are the only one who turns people against you.” I say I call Mark, and he answers.

“It’s time?” he asks

“It’s time and do it fast.” I say

“Alright.” And then I hear smashing and screams. Then I hang up.

“The call has been made. Now, there is just one more call to make.” I say

I dial the Callister’s and tell them everything that is happening, not even a few minutes after they show up with a cop.

“Is everything alright here?” asks the cop

“Yes sir” says Allison with a fake smile

“No, actually.” I say

“Well which is it?”

“Everything is not fine. This woman right here had put a child in a death situation. The child is a 10-year-old girl. Her name is Olivia. I am her older brother David. This woman is supposed to be the mother to both of us. My father is saving the child right now with my uncle Mark the owner of the market. She had put the child in her sisters’ home and left and then called the cops to find her, she told the cops the places to look to by the sister more time to kill off the child.”

The cop looks at me with surprise, and so does Allison.

“How did you know that, you weren’t even here when all of that happened. You nasty demon how do you know that!!?” She yells in fear

The cop looks at me and asks, “If you weren’t here how do you know that?”

“It might sound crazy, but I had a vision of it. As if I saw the future. I was in Canada when I saw it and rushed here right after.” I say

The cop doesn’t look surprised. “I don’t think you crazy.”

“How can you not think him crazy?” Says Allison

“Because, my partner had the same talents before he died. He saw the bullet coming at me before it happened and jumped in the way.”  He says, “How old are you boy?”

“16” I say

“Well how would you like to join our forces? You have a nice suit already for it. Who is your father?”

“Really that would be great, and my father is Jason Anders”

“Did you just say Jason Anders?” the cop asks

“Yes. He was my partners old partner. But I thought he was dead.”

“Everyone thought that, because that woman said it.” I say pointing at Allison

“She has many secrets we don’t know about. She needs to be handcuffed and put away.” I say

He nods and puts her in had cuffs and puts her in his car. “What about this fellow here?” he asks pointing at Adam.

I look at him and say “He didn’t know anything all he knew is that Allison was letting her sister spend time with the girl. He is innocent.” I wink at him

“Alright” he says, “Your free to go then”

“I don’t have anywhere to go actually. I have lived with Allison for 4 years now and don’t have a place.”

I walk over t the cop and whisper something in his ear. The cop nods and tells Adam “This house is now yours. You will pay rent and keep it clean, everything inside in the spare room that has the chest is going to David and his father. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir.” Says Adam

I smile and then remember Olivia.

“Sir, we need to get to her sisters.” I say

“Right get in and we will get you there.”

I get in and he turns on his sirens and lights and we rush out of the drive way leaving the Callister’s and Adam behind. We reach her house within 3 minutes and I get out before the car is completely parked and stopped. I run to the door and open it. My aunt is on the ground with her head bleeding and Olivia is in tears on the floor next to my father.

I walk over and touch her shoulder. Then I say, “Your big brother is here for you.”

She stands up and hugs me. I hug her back. She looks at me then at our father.

“Is he really our dad?” she asks

“Yes, and Allison will no longer have rights to see you. He will have full custody and you and him can come visit me and Sally. I am sure the Callister’s will be fine with it.”

“Yay, thank you David.” She says

“Your welcome. Just remember I will always be here to protect you.” I say as I look at Jason and Mark.

“So, will I.” Jason says

Mark nods in agreement.

I stand up and walk over to my aunt. I pick her up and take her outside. I give her to the cop, but the cop waves his hand and hands me cuffs. I look at him in surprise.

“You can do it.” He says

I take the cuffs and put them on her. Then I set her on the ground and wait for the rest of the cops.

“Why set her there?” he asks

“We don’t want them planning anything else so we shouldn’t put them in the same vehicle.” I say

“Very nice thinking. I believe you have the brains of a detective and the speed of a cop. I am sure I can talk to the sheriff when he gets here and see if he is willing to accept a youngster like you.” He says

I smile and say, “Thank you.”

He nods.

Olivia, Mark, and Jason walk out.

Olivia is still scared and has tears on her cheeks. When she sees Allison in the back of the Police car, she smiles a little bit. Then the rest of the Police officers show up. They get out and pick up Allison’s sister and she tries to fight them, but they are stringer then her. Then she heads buds one of them and then kicks the other in the leg and tries to run but I chase after her and kick her in the knees, so she drops. She screams in pain, and then the police officers get her back up.

The ambulance shows up and the cops set her down so the EMT’s can take care of her. Then the Sheriff walks up to me in surprise and tells me “Mason just told me you are the one who figured out all of this. And seeing you take down that woman tells me you have talent. I am willing to accept a youngster like you for the team. So, my question for you boy is are you willing to take the job?”

“Yes, sir. I am.” I say

“Good. Training will start tomorrow at 8 in the morning be ready. I will have Mason pick you up.”

“Alright sir.” I say

He nods and walks away.

The author's comments:

This chapter ends here because the second book will pick up from here

After everything ended, I get home and tell the Callister’s about the job offer.

“You should do it David. I think it’s a fantastic job for you, and the way you saved Olivia, I am sure Susan feels even safer with you around.” Says Mrs. Callister.

“I agree. Well I better get some rest have training to do I the morning.”

“Alright, sleep well.”

I nod and head upstairs. I lay in my bed in while thinking then close my eyes.

I hear the alarm clock go off at 7:30 in the morning so I could get up and ready for my first day at training. I hear a knock at the door and head downstairs. I open the door and Mason is waiting outside.

We leave and head to the Police Department.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.