Orpheus, the Fallen Savior of Gaia | Teen Ink

Orpheus, the Fallen Savior of Gaia

May 19, 2022
By EdgarSolarspice, Coral Springs, Florida
More by this author
EdgarSolarspice, Coral Springs, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Hello!

So, I'd go through and point out the references, but I think it's appropriate to name the references. It takes inspiration from the Elder Scrolls series; especially Skyrim for the dragon concept. It takes minor inspirations from the Glitchtale series created by Camilla Cuevas, Deepwoken created by Archmage on Roblox, and Rogue Lineage; created by the same person on Roblox.

I hope that as a reader, you enjoy the read. I tried to make sense of a poor story that won 1st in school and 2nd in district in a literary fair, so I hope It worked out well; Because if it didn't, I wrote 15 pages for nothing. And I'm not willing to admit that.

So, What're you waiting for? Go ahead and read it!

Orpheus. A name once renowned around the world; a name that every person cheered for, yet also wished for his downfall. He is the current Admiral of the Dragon Slayers. Or; I should say was. He was more determined to exterminate dragons from the planes of Gaia, altering his very being to exterminate every single last one of them. Unfortunately, he failed in that endeavor. He had hated the dragons for what they had did to his mother and father. This story that I am about to tell you is one of strife. A story that tarnishes a name that was once renowned. One of sorrow, yet no regret. The noble Dragon Knights; finally shown in the light, reveal who they truly are. I will tell you the tale, of Orpheus, the fallen grace. Orpheus, unfortunately, didn’t have happy beginnings. I wish I could tell you everything, but over time the information from the past had eroded from generation to generation. As a historian, I must tell you this story from his position. Starting now, I will speak with his voice. Using the magic I know, I will replicate his very vocal cords to ensure the story is told in full. I will be telling the story from a narrator’s perspective. I hope you’re ready for the long ride, good sir. It’ll be quite a while…

 

Once a man was born. The man’s name was Orpheus. A man who loved his tiny town, despite it not being his, or really even his home town. He was originally born in a larger city. The Capital of Gaia, Poisjorn. He was swiftly carried away from the capital, however. He and his parents alongside many other people were carried to Fire’s Jeer. A town known for being near fire almost at all times. Even in the rain. The fire almost never ended its terrorism on the land. Burning the land’s oxygen, the town had to become efficient. Lumberjacks were non-existent, as the town had to build their town using magic bricks. Bricks that are sturdy, strong, and light; but have low tensile strength. It breaks easily under pressure, but if you try and push it or pull it, it won’t come apart. Orpheus helped build these buildings, and repaired them with his amazing magical aura. He was renowned in the village for being a kind fellow, possibly a fellow who you’d depend on if you needed a handyman. He and his best friend Merek were good men to the town. One day however, his original life of peace had come to the end at the age of eighteen.
This life of peace would soon become only a dream that he wish he could have. His town became shadowed as a fiery dragon encompassed the whole town. Orpheus, not awake, slept through the entirety of it. Everyone, including one of his best friends; Merek, was annihilated. Almost as if the town was ripped off of the face of the earth itself, nothing from the town existed besides a tiny portion of Orpheus’s house. Which, he only survived due to his massive potential in magic abilities.

Devastated, Orpheus looked into the town from the gates. Not knowing what to do, he slept there for three days, without food or water. Starving, alone, and thirsty, he was desperate for a miracle. He knew one wouldn’t happen, but he could hope. The muscle he once built up from lifting so many magic bricks had diminished, turning into fat as the body tried to grasp onto the bone of life. His body was on it’s last finger, before it was saved by a man. A person who encouraged Orpheus. This man, to Orpheus, is no one. Yet he changed Orpheus’ entire life with a few simple words.
“Get up boy.” The mysterious man said. “You seem to have potential.” A piece of paper flies at Orpheus, hitting the ground next to him as he sat. He looked over to it. “Become a Dragon Knight. You won’t regret it, kid.” And as quickly as the man came, he left once Orpheus blinked. With new-found faith, Orpheus began to work. And work he did. For three long years, he worked. He built his first home of wood, away from the flames of  Fire’s Jeer. He made lifts using the Oak trees around the forest, and was able to even carry one on his shoulder. He bided his time as his confidence grew, and then finally decided to see what the man had given him.

Looking at the paper the man had given him, it wrote “This piece of paper moves towards our recruitment camp. See you soon, rookie.” Feeling a sense of nostalgia for his own town, he immediately began preparations. Once he was ready, he set out. For weeks he traveled, into the mountains. All to become a Dragon Knight. He passed every test they gave him with flying scores. They accepted him. Orpheus, now a rookie, was adorned with armor with the crest of Dragon Knights, and a spear made of wood and tungsten. He was told that if they needed him, they’d be able to call him when ever.

Being in the mountain-tops now, he made his way down. Back to the cabin he made. On his way however, he was interrupted by the cry of a dragon. Not knowing it was, he kept his trek downward, but wielded his spear. Soon enough, a dragon landed in front of Orpheus. Shocked, he spoke to the dragon.
“What brings you to me, dragon?” He plummets the bottom of his spear into the ground, crossing his arms afterward.
“You should know well that I’m a Dragon Slayer, seeing my current outfit.” Orpheus takes a moment to dust off the snow on his armor.
“Do you wish for death?” Orpheus says to the dragon.
“I’ve come to make you a proper Dragon Slayer, young one.” The dragon lifts its wing, and points in a direction.  
“I’m going to take you to the castle in the sky. To practice and hone your skills until you’re worthy of the title Dragon slayer. You even have the possibility of surpassing me, the Admiral of the dragon slayers.”. Orpheus look at the dragon, puzzled.
“Ah, I had almost forgotten, young one. You were just recruited.” The dragon bows it’s head.
“I am the admiral of the dragon knights and slayers. I hone the skills of each dragon knight, so that one day they may have the potential to become a dragon slayer.” The dragon lifts it’s head. “I hope you are fine with this… Rookies usually are shocked when I tell them this.” Orpheus hangs his head. Snow collects on Orpheus’ armor, as he thinks.
“Do not worry boy.” The dragon lays down. “I will be patient.”

Orpheus looks back up at the dragon, taking his spear out of the ground and putting it back on his back. “It’s not like I ever had a choice.” Orpheus waves his hand around. “So, what am I supposed to do to get there exactly?”
“Simple.” The Dragon told him. “You will ride upon my back as I take you there.”
Orpheus followed The Dragon’s commands, and they soared off. The wind, powerful as it may be, never once staggered Orpheus on The Dragon’s back. They made it to the castle, where the dragon settled on a look out. Getting off of The Dragon, he decided to ask The Dragon something.
“So, what’s your name?” Orpheus said.
“Kjurdstad.” The dragon replied. “This is the headquarters of the dragon slayers. This will also be your home for the next few years.” Kjurdstad walked forward into a castle hold. “Come along.”

Kjurdstad showed Orpheus around the place. Where the barracks where, the different weapons, the elemental training rooms, and the tavern. After this tour of the castle in the sky, Kjurdstad took Orpheus to an empty training field.
“Now, we will do something that the recruiters never do.” Kjurdstad used his magic to lift several weapons out of a stand to give to Orpheus. “If you wish to take vengeance on those who have slain your town, you must first learn what you’re naturally gifted at.” Kjurdstad then points to the weapons on the ground. “Caestus, Spears, Swords, Lances,” Kjurdstad opens his wings. “Anything you want! Try it all!” Kjurdstad summoned a dummy.
Orpheus looked around. He first picked up the Caestus. He equipped them and punched the dummy. Despite being satisfying, Orpheus didn’t like how they felt. Dropping the Caestus, he went to the spear. The range he had was great, alongside the damage the spear could dish out. However, he didn’t like how the handling was. And so, many of the weapons he tried simply didn’t click. Until he tried the whip. Kjurdstad saw a glint in Orpheus’ eye, as if Orpheus had found what he loved most. One crack of the whip and he was sold. He took another whip on the ground, and dual wielded whips. Using the whips, Orpheus turned the test into a dance against the dummy. Breaking it as he went on, until the dummy was left in shambles.
“I’m sure nothing more is to be said.” Kjurdstad said. And so, Orpheus trained with the whips. Perfecting his style. Being trained by Kjurdstad, the whips became more than a weapon. They became a friend. The whips became deadlier over time. Eventually, becoming lethal to the point it could piece dragon scales. When it was able to, he was sent off into the world to train against real problems. He solved many cases as he could working with the local police, and had slain many of dragons. Possibly numbers in the thousands. He pushed himself to the very limit, surpassing what even the most powerful man in history could accomplish. Slaying dragon after dragon, he pushed his way up the rankings of the Dragon Knights. Sometimes even taking on bounties that required him to take on four dragons at once. His muscular body allowed him to shove his way up the rankings to make a place for him. Making a story for himself. He used the power bestowed upon him by the mysterious man to keep going. Until, he finally, was a vice admiral.
Not many men have achieved this rank. Those who have are legends among the knights. One of these legends being Ace, a legendary slayer. More of an honorary slayer. Someone who had slain well over five thousand dragons, and ended wars just through his existence. He worked himself to the bone, they said. Quite literally, as after his years of service, his body shutdown, not moving for 10 years straight. Orpheus, one night, overheard a couple discussing the legend. Word has it that Ace is facing an unfathomable ordeal. Something that you’ll go mad over just trying to comprehend what it even is. Much like the abyss walkers. Orpheus ran into a few on his journey to the top of the ranks, but they were fodder compared to the ancient dragons. Ace’s efforts before the event however, were not forgotten. Both sides of the dragon war have scars left by Ace. The humans no longer had their savior, and a power gap was formed from it. Political forces tried to calm the masses, but it was unfortunately in vain. On the dragon side, they were scared to intrude on the Humans. Afraid of what would happen if they were to run into the fabled Ace of Hearts. So, they hid the fact that they retreated. Deserted some of their kind in Gaia. Left them to rot. Orpheus strives to do what Ace had done. He’s very close too. There’s just a slight problem. To exterminate all dragons, he must deal with one that has helped him all the way.
Orpheus walks through the sky castle, waving to his comrades. Passing bread out to his kindred. Walking through the training grounds, praising each and every one of the new recruits. Orpheus tried his best to make them encouraged, much like how that mysterious man had. Passing my the barracks, he waves to some Knights who’re just chatting. They wave back. He treks onward, to the living quarters of Kjurdstad. He makes his way to the quarters, and knocks on the door.
“It’s Orpheus. May I come in, Kjurdstad?” He backed up.
“Come, come.” The door opened, the wind in the room displaced from how large it was. Orpheus, unfazed by the wind, makes his way to see Kjurdstad.
“What business do you hold here?” Kjurdstad asks.
“I seek a goal.” Orpheus begins.
“My home was destroyed by dragons. I felt no hatred towards them at that moment, but now;” Orpheus holds his hand to his chest. “I only wish I could see my town again. I am the only survivor.” Orpheus kneels.
“I was too weak to help them.” Orpheus begins to sob.
“I would ask for your help, to help me rebuild my beloved town.” Orpheus takes off his helmet, and rubs his eyes with his gauntlets.
“I couldn’t ask you to do such a favor for a pathetic sort such as me however.” Orpheus let his head hang, as his right hand falls to the floor.
“You’ve helped me find my love for a modified version of the stock whip. You’ve helped me hone and perfect my art. You’ve done so much for me. I am within your debt.” Orpheus puts his right arm on his knee, as he begins to stand up. “
However, I have reason to suspect that you aren’t who you say you are.” Orpheus takes both of his whips off of his belt.
“From several sources in the cities I have gone to; and from my own investigations, I believe that you aren’t Kjurdstad.” Orpheus puts his helmet on. Kjurdstad looks at Orpheus, in awe.
“It seems that after 50 years of service, several Dragon Knights and Slayers have found that you acted severely different. If I am to recall, that was around 2430.” Orpheus looks at Kjurdstad.
“To go further, I was born in 2400. 18 years later, my town burned to the ground. Not by the constant fire, but by a being of pure destruction.” Orpheus, now calmed a little, puts his whips back on his belt.
“And, lastly, a tiny fact. There are rare breeds of dragon that use magic, but they rarely use it... Their magic isn’t barbaric by any means, but it is not sophisticated by any means either.” Orpheus points at Kjurdstad.
“Remember when you opened these doors just a minute ago? That wasn’t a simple burst. It was intended to open like that. I have inspected this entire room, and nothing you can say can convince me that you didn’t purposefully trick me into being here with you right here and now. Because you did. This is a trap.” Kjurdstad smirks. He chuckles, as he smirks.
“I knew it. But why me?” Orpheus puts his hand to his head, trying to make sense of it all.
“Maybe I’ll tell you if you beat me, dearest warrior.” Kjurdstad beckons Orpheus.
“I may have no drive, but I have ambition. I do not know why I feel remorse, or sorrow towards my town, or why I want to see it alive again. All I know is that you exist in the same reality as me. And I simply cannot allow that to happen, with you being a dragon.” Orpheus equips both whips in both hands, and points at Kjurdstad once more.
“You better be prepared. I never showed you everything.” Orpheus then charges at Kjurdstad. An unspeakable act, that not even the legends of the past have done. Kjurdstad moves swiftly, jumping from wall to wall. Orpheus tries to keep up, eventually using both of his whips to slash at the toes of the beast, eventually making enough damage to ensure movement is difficult. Kjurdstad, slowed, tries to move as fast as he normally did, but fails miserably. Falling to the floor. Orpheus uses his American stock whips to wail on the beast’s head, while also binding it to the floor using the other whip and a magical bind. The beast wails as the cracks of the whip damage both it’s ears and it’s fragile eyes. The magical barbs on the whip created by Orpheus pierce the dragon’s hide, making a horrendous scene. The dragon breaks away using it’s own magic, and grabs Orpheus with a magical bone hand.
“I’ve trained you well. You play almost as dirty as he…” Kjurdstad stated. “You’ll never be comparable to him, the great one! THE ONE MADE OF PURE MAGICAL ABILITY!” The Dragon’s hide melts away.
“You’ll remember my face…” The voice, familiar yet unfamiliar, is revealed as a figure arises from the hide.
“DO YOU REMEMBER ME, OLD CHILDHOOD FRIEND?!” says the figure. Orpheus exerts himself, and breaks free of the hand, landing on the ground. Looking up, from the skeletal corpse of the Dragon, there was a familiar face. Merek. Merk looked upon Orpheus’ face.
“It seems you do remember me.” Merek chuckles, slowly turning into a laugh.
“The confusion and despair upon your face tells me everything, dearest informal brother.” Merek melts the skeletal corpse with his hands, and reforms the corpse into stairs.
“Not only does it tell me everything, it brings me joy to know that the last of that miserable town is finally here. I can now finish up my amateur work.” Merek stops at the end of the stairs. Face to face with Orpheus, he points to him.
“Now perish. Like the rest of the pathetic sort in that town.” Merek’s finger begins to glow a pale yellow, as the rest of his body does the same. Orpheus, not aware, begins to tense up. He’s ready to put up a magical barrier whenever, so that he can protect himself.
Yet he didn’t need it. Merek teleports behind Orpheus at the speed of light, kicking Orpheus. Orpheus is flung to the wall, unaware of what happened. Orpheus screamed, punching the ground casting his whips aside. He takes off his helmet, and chest piece. His gauntlets, cast aside, only his leggings remain. Orpheus uses his magic to increase his strength. Merek throws a fire ball through the smoke made by the collision with the wall. Orpheus swipes it aside using his powerful magic.
“It’s time I kept my promise to you.” Orpheus said. “We made a promise. If you even remember, evil being.” Orpheus began to walk towards Merek.

“We promised to never part. Never leave one another. Never escape the grasp of life without being with each other. I wish to let you know that we were once friends.” Orpheus stops walking. Merek can clearly see him. Orpheus hangs his head.
“It’s sad to see you like this.” Orpheus wipes the sweat from his forehead.
“It seems as if you’ve forgotten all the good times of our past, dearest antagonist.” Orpheus looks at Merek, dead in the eyes. Orpheus readies himself.
“I no longer fight as Orpheus the Dragon Slayer, vice admiral to the Dragon Knights.” Orpheus forms a fighting stance. Magical bubbles are created around his hand.
“I fight as Orpheus, Abandoned child of Fire’s Jeer!” Merek looks at Orpheus.
“HAHAHAHAHAHAH! FINALLY! YOU’VE AWOKEN MY DEAREST INFORMAL BROTHER!” Merek exclaims. “I’M PROUD OF YOU! AS AN OLDER BROTHER, ALLOW ME TO LET YOU GROW YOUR ABILITY!” Merek said, arms in the air.
“LET ME SHOW YOU HOW IT FEELS TO DESTROY A TOWN!” Merek then look at Orpheus. Orpheus is now shook. His arms lowered a tiny bit, his eyes filled with tears. Red from rage. Orpheus’ skin boiled with his own blood. Merek felt Orpheus’ heartbeat rise as he grew angier. The bubbles glowed a dark blue hue, slowly turning into a dark purple.
“Fine.” Is all Orpheus could say. Orpheus lept, landing where Merek once was. Merek, using magic, teleported. Now charging a fireball, Orpheus charges at Merek. Merek fires his fireball, but all is useless. Orpheus grabs the fireball, stops his momentum, turns around to then twist and throw the fireball with greater force back at Merek.
Merek teleported away, but now seemed to be uncertain of his fate. Merek pounded his chest three times, before charging at Orpheus. Orpheus preemptively charged a punch, looking at Merek. Merek, just before punching Orpheus, teleported behind him. Orpheus quickly turns around and punches Merek on the chin. The wind displaced by his fist broke the ceiling, practically making the ceiling fly. Merek’s chin had been bruised, but not hurt badly.
“Not bad. You barely broke through my barrier. A feat not even the other legends before you have been able to do. Yet, they made it farther against me. I wonder if you can go longer?” Merek smirks. Merek looks at Orpheus, his eyes and ears fixated on how heavily Orpheus is breathing.
“You truly are apart of the pathetic sort.” Merek steps back. Orpheus falls, weak from the attack.
“Your own body can’t even handle your true strength. You’re as weak as you were before, Orpheus. When I burned down that pathetic town.” Merek chuckles.
“Now perish, like the pathetic fool you are.” Merek snaps. “HOW COULD YOU BELIEVE YOU COULD DEFEAT SOMEONE WHO’S KILLED MILLIONS WITH THEIR OWN HANDS?" Merek summons a spear made of ice. Orpheus, exhausted, couldn’t dodge Merek’s swift attack, plunging his spear into Orpheus. Orpheus, severely wounded, coughs more blood.
Merek summons a skeletal hand to bash Orpheus into the ground even more, laughing as he does so.
“DID YOU TRULY THINK YOU COULD DEFEAT A BEING SUCH AS I? SOMEONE BRANDED BY THE DRAGONS THEMSELVES TO BE THEIR SAVIOR?” Merek uses the giant skeletal hand to slam Orpheus one last time.
“Just die. Like the pathetic beast you are.” Merek says.
Orpheus slams his fist into the ground, getting up and moving so fast he teleports behind Merek. Semi-unconscious, Orpheus grabs Merek, and plunges him into the ground. Orpheus repeatedly slams Merek into the ground, exactly 5 times before throwing him off into a nearby wall. Breaking the wall. Orpheus proceeds to break off the front half and the back half of the ice spear in his torso.
“I…” He keels over but manages to catch himself on his knee. “am no beast.” Orpheus coughs blood. “I, ORPHEUS, AM THE CHILD OF FIRE’S JEER!” Muscles bulging, he makes a magic whip using his experience with magic bricks. He attempts to get up, walks to where he threw Merek. The dust clears.
Merek stands up, with bruises all over his body. Merek snaps, and lights Orpheus aflame. But Orpheus doesn’t break his stride towards Merek.
Orpheus takes a good look at Merek, as his clothes are mostly destroyed. On his chest, a swirling dragon can be depicted with multiple sun symbols around it. It seems to be imbued with some kind of magic. The magic ‘seal’ of sorts begs for more magic, but it seems Merek’s Magic reserves have been burnt out.
“Orpheus, oh Orpheus…” Merek laughs. “It seems as if both of our journey’s are closing once again.” Merek coughed. Orpheus continued his stride.
“I was silly to think I was right in this… Journey.” Orpheus’ shadow covered the entirety of the room, as he made his way to Merek.
“I was defeated oh so easily…” Merek summons a bone hand. Orpheus breaks it as it approaches him. Simply using the crack of his whip, enhanced by the magic bricks. Orpheus, still ablaze, takes a step. Finally in front of Merek. Merek Chuckles.
“I assume you intend to free me from this curse of mine.” Merek says. “Why must you be so kind, even in your final moments?” Merek slumps over. Orpheus scoffs at Merek’s words.
Orpheus drops his whip. Swiftly, he kneels to Merek’s height. Orpheus hugs Merek.
“Goodbye. Merek. Genius of Fire’s Jeer.”  Despite setting himself ablaze, Merek hugs Orpheus back. Unaware to Orpheus, Merek cries. He cries tears of sorrow, and sadness.
“Ignorant to my own ignorance, I cursed myself to an age of despair.” Merek takes his hands off of Orpheus.
“Defiled millions of bodies, my curse festers on a thousand bodies as they reform in the primordial soup.” Merek looks at his hands.
“They will be loyal to the dragons, but at what cost to my own body and soul?” Merek says.
“I was a fool to think quick power was the answer to my problems…” Merek cries harder.
“Goodbye, Orpheus. I will at least give you the respect you deserve, you pathetic beast.”
Merek passes away, with angered eyebrows.
The knights from below finally got up to Kjurdstad’s reach, seeing the bloody battlefield, they find Merek and Orpheus. Merek, burnt to a crisp, and Orpheus having second degree burns all over his body. Miraculously still alive. Heart still beating, they imprisoned Orpheus. They needed someone to blame for the murder of Kjurdstad. The government knew who Merek was upon sight; but they told the public that Merek was the physical form of Kjurdstad. Orpheus, when he awoke, instantly understood what had happened. He slept until he was dragged out into the plaza of the capital city of Gaia. Poisjorn. Orpheus was set to be executed at his birthplace.
“For the horrendous crime of killing the admiral of the Dragon Knights, Kjurdstad, Orpheus has committed a sin.” The preacher announced to the public.
“For this sin, we have devised numerous methods of which you, the public, will be able to vote on. We know who Orpheus was in the past, and he requested us to do this. Out of respect for what he’s done for this country, we will allow him this.” The preacher spoke.
“We have a variety of torturous and lethal weapons that you the public can vote on which will be used for the executioner to use. Or, perhaps you are interested in lethal injections instead? Either way, this beast will be felled. Vote at the stands. For Orpheus the Dragon Knight will be forever known as the fallen savior of Gaia!” The audience cheered. Orpheus looked on. He didn’t feel horror, nor did he care for what the people wanted. He served his country to the very end and got revenge for his town. He found out who destroyed it, and through painful trials, he’s finally at the end. He figures this was for the better. For if there is no conflict, this world will grow lazy. Perhaps it were better if he never existed at all.
While he thought, the votes were casted. A quick death at the guillotine, they beckoned for. And that, they received. Orpheus kneeled to the wooden contraption, as it fell it’s hand on his neck. The guillotine dropped, yet didn’t go through Orpheus’ skin.
“Vote again!” The preacher said. The audience voted for a lethal injection. A peaceful death, out of respect for a once respectful man.
It took 18 tries for them to pierce his skin with the needle. When they did, they found his veins had moved, and had to try again. Orpheus sat down in the chair, as he got injected with a virus that silently kills it’s host in a manner of seconds. His magic fought it for days on end, making Orpheus suffer even more, but he didn’t care. It was in his best interest that his ambitions were put to rest.
And just like that,
In 3 days total,
Orpheus, the Dragon Knight,
Orpheus, Abandonded Child of Fire’s Jeer,
and Orpheus, the Fallen Savior of Gaia
Were all forgotten. Their names gone from the public’s mind, the Dragon Knights never recovered. The Dragons never approached Gaia again; despite having spies. Because when they next invade, they know some other powerful human would be there to stop them in their tracks. Just like Orpheus and Ace had. The flame of ambition was stronger than anyone had imagined. Strong enough to burn the most lethal virus to ever exist, strong enough to burn away the smudges of history.
It's truly sad Orpheus had to die this way.

 

And here’s where the story finally ends. With Orpheus dead, the current generation is scrambling to find power; struggling so hard for almost no reason. The war could be easily stopped with Orpheus’ actions, A sad tale indeed. I hope you learned something from this. If not, it’s a cool story to tell ye’ friends either way. Now, go along sport. This historian’s got some writing to do.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.