Made of Anger | Teen Ink

Made of Anger

By katprobst BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
katprobst BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona

Piglet: "How do you spell love?" Pooh: "you don't spell it, you feel it."

“No!” Athena screamed to her father Zeus, God of the Heavens and King of the Gods.

“Why not Athena?” Zeus questioned- obviously angry.

“You cannot force me to love!” Athena, the Goddess of wisdom and war, yelled.

“I know I cannot- but can’t you just talk to Hephaestus?” Zeus replied. Hephaestus- God of fire and forge- had fallen in love with Athena.

“No father, I told you I don not feel the same way!” Athena barked; she pointed her fingers to the stairs and Zeus followed her orders. He walked down the steps of his palace and made his way to the sitting room where Hephaestus was waiting.

“Sorry, she does not want love,” Zeus sighed.

“Maybe I should talk to her…” he began.

“Nah, do not pressure her. Athena takes things to extremes if you know what I mean,” Zeus exhaled. Hephaestus nodded and left Mount Olympus to head to Earth.

“Don’t pressure her? Don’t pressure her? What is that suppose to mean? Zeus promised… he promised!” Hephaestus screamed as loud as he could into the open air. He changed himself into a centaurs, a half horse creature, and traveled over to Boeotia where Actaeon, a injured but mighty hero, was hunting. Thankfully Hephaestus found him alone.

“Actaeon. I am Hephaestus, God of fire and farce. Listen to me. I have a task.” Actaeon, startled at first, nodded.

“Of course my God, what do you need help with?”

“The Goddess I love stopped talking to me. I need to get her attention. I want you to start a war with the mortals and she will come down . Then she will see me breaking up the fight and love me.” Hephaestus commanded.

“I will do it. But may I ask whom do you love?”

“Athena.” Hephaestus stated with a sparkle in his eye. “Now listen. The war must be believable, you see, she will know if it is real or not.” Actaeon, surprised by his answer, solemnly shakes his head.

“Hephaestus, what is a believable war? If there is nothing to fight about I simply cannot have it.”

“I do not know, Actaeon. Just make it up and start the war soon,” with that Hephaestus leaves- noticeably pleased.

What am I supposed to do? Actaeon through to himself as he headed back to his little cottage where his lover rested and waited for him.

“Hello darling. Where have you been?” Athena asked.

“The oddest thing happened.” Actaeon began, “Hephaestus. He came to me today. He told me he loved you, and to start a war to show you how powerful he can be at stopping it. Do you feel the same way?”

“How could you think like that? Of course I don’t love him! I’ve only met him twice!” Athena exclaimed; although Athena remembered her childhood. Hephaestus was familiar but she couldn’t put her finger on it.

“I don’t believe you.” He sighed.

“Believe me!” Athena cried. She got on her knees and started to sob.

“Okay, okay.” Actaeon whispered. He grabbed Athena’s hand and helped her up. “What should I do?” He asked while wrapping her into his arms.

“Just do what he says and have everyone play along. I will too. I will fly down like he expected me to and shame him in front of everyone,” Athena suggested.

“Good idea. I might do that. It might take a while though- getting everyone to agree to act for this…” he began as he took her dinky hand and held it in Actaeons’. She curled her fingers into his; it was the perfect fit.

“Okay. We mustn’t waste time. We should start immediately.” Athena smiled. They both looked into each other’s eyes and suddenly, everything seemed at peace. No one could ruin this moment.

However, you cannot say the same for Mount Olympus.

“You did what?” Zeus hissed.

“I did what you said not to do, Zeus. I know I broke the rules; but I did it for you. Soon I will be holding your daughter and my arms. No need to worry.” Hephaestus beamed.

“No need to worry. NO NEED TO WORRY? You’re starting a war! She will kill you in the end! It will not only destroy the peace just made- but also all of our lives!” Zeus exploded while franticly pacing around the room.

“Oh…” Hephaestus realized. Before he could respond, Zeus stormed out of the room. He was alone now. “Well what else was I suppose to do? Cry for her love? Huh? You tell me what I was supposed to do!” Hephaestus yelled to the walls. “Tell me! If you had a plan why didn’t you tell me? Huh? I didn’t think so. So take that!” He burst into flames his hands and threw a ball of fiery fury at the walls. Almost directly the walls became a bright red, then an orange, and finally black.

“What on earth are you doing?” Hestia, Goddess of home, panicked as she ran into the flaming room.

“I’m burning this hell down!” Hephaestus yelped over the decaying furniture.

“That is Hades’ job! Stop!” Hestia begged. Hephaestus moaned. He stops shooting fireballs and sucks up the flames with his own breath.

“Thank you,” Hestia alleged, relieved. She walks around the room feeling the air flowed through her hair- for the fire has burned to the outside. “I think that you should leave for now.” He grinded his teeth and marched down to earth. He found an abandoned cave and hid in there for a few days, then decided to visit Actaeon to see how his plan was going.

As he walked through his cottage doors he saw Athena laying against Actaeon.
“Actaeon! Athena!” He bellowed. Instantaneously they both stood up to face their worst fears…

“Oh, Hephaestus!” Athena jumbled.

“How could you do this to me?” Hephaestus silently sobbed. He fell down to his knees and hid his hand in his face for several minutes then he stood again, towering them. “HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME?” He questioned, this time with temper building up.

“I’m… I’m sorry Hephaestus… it’s just… I love Actaeon!” She started to cry.

“You what? After everything I did…. Everything I planned for you. For us…. You threw it away to a worthless mortal!” Hephaestus voice started to raise louder and louder every word.

“I think it is time for you to leave.” Actaeon glared at the door.

“No, I think it is time for you to go.”

“NO! Please don’t do this Hephaestus!” Athena begged as she stepped in front of Actaeon; but that did not stop him. He lifted Athena up and threw her against the chairs.

“Athena!” Actaeon gasped.

“As for you Actaeon…” Hephaestus yelled.

“Stop it all! Just stop! Please!” Zeus stormed in. “Hephaestus. I trusted you. You just lost it. Away with you!” he picked up Athena and cradled her in his arms. He snatched Hephaestus in his other and held him by his collar; subsequently left the bungalow with Actaeon inside and headed to Hades, God of the underworld.

“Brother. Look like you have come with a prize for me!” Hades laughed like a joyous little kid, “or two?”

“One. You were right Hades. I’m sorry.” Zeus dropped Hephaestus on the dirt floor. “He is all yours.”

“Ha. No, you see Zeus, I found whom I needed. My wife, Persephone. Therefore, I don’t need Hephaestus anymore. I have her. She can and WILL do whatever I ask, isn’t that right, honey?” Hades chucked. “Isn’t it Persephone? PERSEPHONE.”

“Yes, Hades.” Persephone responded gravely.

“See? Brother I am set! Ah but for the girl…”

“Never!” Zeus boomed.

“I know, I know, I am simply joking brother.” Hades hollered, “but I cannot take back Hephaestus. You said you could change him…”

“And I did for 10 years. He started to act like you again.” Zeus said.

“Ha well then I trained him well! But the thing is Zeus you cannot turn in what I released to you. You will have to dispose of him elsewhere.”

“No problem, but can you just watch him for a day?” Zeus pleaded.

“I don’t babysit.” Hades rambled.

“I know, Just put him work,” Zeus pleaded.

“Sure. One day or I will to take Athena ,” Hades assigned. Zeus dropped Hephaestus on the cold floor and hurried out if of the underworld.

“Why hello again Hephaestus! So what did you do this time?” Hades questioned.

“I fell in love but I cannot have her.” He mumbled.

“Well we just cannot let it be! She’s yours son! Who is it?” Hades asked.

“Athena.”

“Ah, aiming high; and why didn’t Zeus give you to her? He said he changed you into a better God then himself.”

“I know. He did. I just lost it when I saw her and Actaeon in each others arms.”
“Well don’t just sit there boy! Get up and fight for her!” Hades yelled. Hephaestus looked up, a grin on his face.

“I will be back before dawn.” With that Hephaestus ran out of his hellhole and to Actaeon’s house. There he saw Athena, Actaeon, and Zeus discussing what to do with him.

“Maybe we should expel him into an animal,” Actaeon suggested.

“Or a mortal,” Athena recommended.

“Or just kill him.” Zeus added.

“Kill me? Oh how? HOW WILL YOU KILL ME FATHER?” He screamed at Zeus as he emerged from his hiding spot. All of them stood up in surprise.

“Father?” Athena echoed.

“Yes, he is my father to Athena. A very disgraceful father now, huh. Why do you think I like you? Of course I love you! I grew up with you! I watched you grow! I fell in love with you!” Hephaestus cried. Before anyone could say anything more Hephaestus eyes lighted with the horror of a fiery death; he threw a fireball at Actaeon. Actaeon’s whole body lit into flames, you could smell burning flesh, and hear the last of his horror filled screams. Athena stood screaming in terror- her loved one lost forever. Zeus sat down at a nearby chair and shook his head.

“Ah! Actaeon, no baby, no. No!” Athena sobbed as she jumped closer to the burning corpse.

“I love you.” Actaeon slipped out before the pain of death swallowed him up. The flames stopped and his body became ice cold.

“NO!” Athena shrieked. She stepped forward and plopped herself next him, she took his hand in hers and began to cry even harder. “You filthy….”

“Hephaestus, you disowned me. You disowned us all.” Zeus looked down at the floor.

“Yeah? And what are you going to do? Banish me? Never let me walk the halls of your palace again?” Hephaestus cruelly joked. He treaded over to where Zeus was sitting and slapped his face. “Look me in the eye old man! What are you going to do?” Without notice Athena creeped behind him with a knife she held in her moccasin. She pulled the small weapon out and held it to his neck.

“Tell me your sorry.” She ordered.

“I’m not.” Hephaestus guffawed. Athena shook her head and slowly raised the dagger to his head. Just with the jerk of her hand she sliced his neck. Slowly Hephaestus slumped to the ground.

With the strength of Zeus and Athena they are able to lift Actaeon up and out of the house. They laid him on the grass and Zeus took out his lightning bolt. He zaps the cottage and it ignites- the house burns into ashes.

Athena never got over the loss of her only love, Actaeon. For the rest of eternity she never loved anyone else. She remained a virgin also, in hopes one day Actaeon will return.

Love never turns out perfect , but you should never give up on it either. Actaeon never gave up. To this day down in the underworld he is trying to send Athena messages. Hades never allows anyone to deliver it though because he basically killed the only person that was useful for him.

Over the years houses were built on the ashes but each time the house was burned down and rebuilt, a lump appeared in the ground. It became bigger and bigger until it appeared to be touching the sky. Hephaestus was not visible to the human eye but the anger inside of him became. The moment it touched the sky it exploded with fire and that was later called ‘lava’ because Hephaestus’s tendency to light things on fire; the lava destroyed everything in its way just like he did.

The lump that had been structured became known as ‘volcano’ because of the anger and regret inside of him.

Every few years this volcano explodes because his temper cannot be withstand. The crust breaks and the air fills with an unbearable heat. Hot lava pours down the sides and smolders everything on its path.

Hephaestus became known as Ulawun. He was the highest volcano known to man, and the most dangerous. The steam that is released when erupted reached over 3.7 km and about drifted 95 km showing how mad he was and will always be.

The End