Watermelon Crimes | Teen Ink

Watermelon Crimes

Author's note:

I wrote this based off of a book I read during the summer.

The summer of 2017 was a wild one for Oliva and her friends. They were just out of sophomore year and ready for something exciting to happen. Oliva lived in a giant cul de sac with the rest of her friends. The whole neighborhood knew each other so they were basically forced into these friendships since they were kids. They all basically got along but there sometimes were some fights especially between Taylor and Carly. Taylor and Carly both had very strong opinions so one day they were best friends the next bitter rivals. Oliva’s best friend in the group was Megan. Megan was very soft spoken and quick witted but she never stepped down from a fight. Oliva, Megan, Carly, and Taylor were the main group of friends on the block although they were “heavily encouraged” to hang out with another girl on their street name Clarence. Clare was a short redhead with high cheekbones and huge glasses. Oliva personally didn’t have anything against Clare but she got on Taylors nerves so they just ignored her. The other group in the cul de sac was a group that consisted of Jake, Marc,  and Mike. Oliva and her friends tried their best to avoid them because they were all annoying. Mike was Oliva’s older brother though so it was extremely hard to ignore him. The summer started out pretty normal from the beginning but a couple of coincidental would get the group into some trouble. June 3, 2017 was when the crimes began. It was an especially hot day. Oliva and her friend’s were hanging out in Taylor’s room when Mrs. Jen, Taylor’s mom, called them down. She told them that she saw Clare outside and she wanted them to go hang out with her. Taylor immediately objected but Mre. Jen gave her a look and they all ended up trudging outside to invite Clare to hang out. They didn’t necessarily expect her to say yes because she always kept to herself and never really talked. To their surprise, and Taylor’s dismay, she said yes. They all decided to sit in Megan’s backyard because she had a patio and ice cream. The first half an hour consisted of a very awkward conversation about school and summer packets. Soon Clare had to use the restroom so she left quickly leaving the group on their own. Taylor gave them a look and called them over to her. She told them she had an idea to get rid of Clare. Megan and Oliva looked uneasy and asked if it involved being mean which Taylor denied. They didn’t want to hurt Clare’s feelings but they couldn’t stand another minute of this conversation so they all agreed. Taylor said that she knew Clare was goody-two-shoes so all they would just have to tell her about something they do that she wouldn’t do and she might leave. When Taylor finished explaining they all looked confused. She sighed and said that she meant they just needed to tell Clare that something they do every summer is like rob a store and Clare would never want anything to do with us. Carly immediately agreed, she was the troublemaker, Oliva agreed second. Megan thought for a second rolled her eyes and agreed. When Taylor asked for ideas Carly volunteered that we steal from Mr. Kerr. Mr. Kerr is an old man who is weirdly obsessed with melons and cats. His wife died thirteen years ago and the whole neighborhood suspected he was behind the crime. He doesn’t really talk but he does run down the street chasing squirrels with his cane. All of the parents warn their kids to get out of the way because he is half blind.

She suggested that we fake we steal melons from him because he has so many melons no one will know the difference and Carly’s house is right next to his and there is a small gap which they can fit through. They all agreed on this and scurred back to their chairs to wait for Clare to get back. When the tiny girl returned Taylor suggested they go to Carly’s house and the girls agreed. When they reached Carly’s house it was around midday and the sun was scorching. Eventually Taylor and Oliva’s eyes met and Taylor nodded towards Clare. Taylor leaned forward and motioned for the rest to follow. They all complied. She whispered to Clare asking her if she wanted to be a part of their group. Megan gave a disapproving scowl. Clare was too excited to see and nodded her head ecstatically. Taylor smirked and told her about how every wednesday they sneak over Carly’s fence and steal a melon for Mr. Kerr. Clare’s eyes widened with every word Taylor said. Taylor ended with a dramatic pause and asked if she was in. There was silence for a moment and a hard look came over Clare’s face and she said yes. Taylor tried to hide her shock and Carly’s mouth fell a little. Megan let out a small laugh and Oliva gave a confident smile and told her that they’d see her at 11. Oliva and Megan walked home together and discussed the recent events. A smile spread over Megan’s face and she said that it served them right trying to trick Clare. Oliva reminded her that they would have to steal a watermelon for Mr. Kerr. Megan shrugged and said he wouldn’t even notice and turned into her driveway. Megan waved goodbye and headed into her house. Oliva stalked upstairs and fell into the folds of her covers. Mike came in and gave her a bemused smile. Oliva glared at Mike as he came over to her bed and sat on her bed. Oliva told Mike to get out but like all annoying siblings he refused and instead went through her stuff. She threw a pillow at Mike to get him out of her room. Jake called Mike to play video games so Oliva was spared for now. At around 9 Oliva put a pillow in her sheets to pretend she was sleeping. She knew it was unconvincing but her parents are so busy they wouldn’t give it a second though, she hoped. She snuck out the back door so her brother wouldn’t notice. She headed over to Megan’s house because she was bored. When she arrived Megan was nowhere to be seen so her brother, Marc , waved Oliva inside and told her just to go upstairs. On her way up she saw Marc heading over to her house and hoped he wouldn’t tell her brother she wasn’t home. When Oliva reached Megan’s room she was ushered in by her distraught friend. Pretty panicked she asked what was wrong and Megan asked if she should wear black clothes or dark green clothes. Oliva laughed, glad it was nothing serious and Megan frowned at Oliva’s outfit. Oliva looked down realizing wearing a bright green shirt and paint splattered shorts were not the best option. Unable to go home in fear of facing her brother or parents Oliva just borrowed some of Megan’s clothes. At ten they were both decked out in camo turtlenecks, courtesy of Megan’s older sister, black leggings, military boots, and flashlights. They headed downstairs into Megan’s basement to watch a movie to pass the time. When Megan’s mom saw them she laughed and asked for a photo which they willingly obliged. At ten forty-five they headed over to Carly’s. In an effort to avoid the boys they stayed away from the street and turned their lights off. When they finally got to Carly’s house they were greeted with a rushed hug from Carly and nervous smile from Taylor. It looked like their little group was here so they were just waiting on Clarence to show up. At 11 on the dot they heard the doorbell ring.

Oliva looked around and got up to let Clare in. Clarence was hesitant to come inside but followed with reluctance. At around 11 we were right next to the fence ready to sneak in and steal a watermelon. Oliva heard Megan stifle a laugh and when she looked at her puzzled she muttered that she thought it was so ridiculous they were doing this. Oliva smiled briefly and then went back to watching the watermelons. At exactly 11:23 Taylor headed inside his property. According to the plan they made Tayor would go in from the far right first and then Oliva and Megan were coming in from the far left next at her signal. Once they were in they’d get Clare and Carly. Taylor, Carly, and Megan were going to leave the premise to make sure no one would see them. That left Oliva and Clare to actually steal the watermelon. The beginning of the heist went pretty awful for Oliva. The way they were taking involved climbing on top of Carly’s shed and jumping the half rotten fence to land on an unsteady metal pole that ran through his garden. After they would land on the pole you’d crawl to a huge orange tree and climb down from there. Megan went over the fence first and Oliva was going after her. Oliva is not particularly agile but she did take dancing seven years ago so she hoped she would fall off. Megan was a gymnast so she elegantly landed on the pole and walked over to the tree and hoped down it like she’d done it her whole life. Oliva took a deep breath and jumped heaved herself over the fence. She fell onto the thick pole and held on for dear life's sake. After taking a shaky break she looked down and wished she hadn’t. The ground looked a lot farther down than it did from Carly’s side. This was the first time Carly had seen Mr. Kerr’s yard and she was impressed. It was a lot bigger than she thought it would be. There was a big cracked fountain in the middle that had algae in it. The edges were all bordered with scraggly trees. In one corner he had a perfect watermelon farm. Surprisingly there was a rose bush too. Other than that corner the whole yard was covered in overgrown grass and those plants which she didn’t know the name of but had very painful thorns. Connecting this whole mess of a garden were tiny brick paths. Most of the bicks were cracked or missing and she could see some green sprouts growing from the cracks. She made eye contact with Megan and knew she had to continue. Oliva was about half way there when she tripped and fell. Her heart leapt to her throat and she was frozen with fear. Oliva shut her eyes as tight as she can and clenched her teeth. Almost immediately she stopped falling. She reluctantly opened her eyes and saw that she landed in a wool hammock. In a split second Megan was there tugging on her arm and motioning her over. They met up with Taylor in the middle and Carly and Clare soon joined them. Taylor, Megan, and Carly all departed to leave just Clarence and Oliva to steal a literal watermelon. After some quiet debating they decided on a medium looking watermelon that was hidden behind a bush so Mr. Kerr hopefully wouldn’t notice. They maneuvered some huge thorny bushes and made their way to the melon. A couple of yards away from the garden; though, Oliva tripped, cutting her hand and scraping her knee. Clare let out a short gasp and Oliva shushed her pushing away tears. Eventually they made it to the water melon and picked it up. It was a lot heavier than they thought it would be. Clare heaved a sigh and made their way to deliver the watermelon. The biggest problem was that they were going to be rolling the water melon under the fence but Clare and Oliva wouldn’t be able to fit. Oliva pushed these thoughts out of her mind and cracked some dumb joke which Clare laughed at.

Regrettably it made Oliva feel better than it should have.  Once they reached the fence Oliva saw Carly and she rolled the watermelon through the tiny whole. Carly gave them both a thumbs up and told them to get out as soon as possible. Oliva and Clare split up to each leave different ways. Oliva was supposed to climb the fence and hop back onto the shed. Once she was half way up the wood under her feet broke and she was hanging from her hands. Oliva did some sports and was moderately athletic but there was no way she would be able to haul herself up so she dropped back down and looked around desperately for another way out. The way Clare was taken was a plank that they took the nails out of and they certainly hammered it back up by now. And it would take forever for them to open it back up again. Oliva didn’t have forever to wait. In a last minute decision she decided to head over to the leftmost corner of his yard. The other house bordering it was the Smith's. That was house Jake's family so she knew he wouldn’t mind. Earlier she caught sight of a weak looking plank that she might be able to move and weasel her way through. Set on that idea she sprinted over running though overgrown bushes and a patch of plants that looked suspiciously like poison ivy. When she was running she felt something hit her cheek but brushed it off. Oliva made it to the fence and ran her hand over the wood. Near the bottom it creaked so she pushed harder. All of a sudden the wood swung up and she went tumbling down. Oliva looked around dumbfounded. She had never seen this place before. She got up and dusted herself off. She looked to her right and saw the Smith’s fence towering above her. To Oliva’s left it was untamed woods. Her cul de sac was bordering the forest so she wasn’t that surprised to see the woods. Oliva was just glad she was alive. After examining herself she realized she ripped Megan’s legging and Megan’s long sleeve turtleneck now only had one long sleeve. One of the sleeves was hanging by on thread. She was taken back to reality when she heard a twig snap. Immediately she jumped and looked for a weapon, coyotes were always around this area. She saw a beer bottle that she assumed was from Harold, Jake’s older brother. She knew it was pathetic but she had nothing else. Suddenly Clare came running out and hugged her. In a burst of breath she said how worried she was and how bad she felt. Soon Clarence was crying and Oliva was hysterically laughing. After a couple of minutes they composed themselves and walked to Carly’s house. When they finally made it the other three girls were there. When Oliva walked in all of their eyes got as big as the moon. Slowly the questions came pouring out which Oliva answered willingly. Soon they were all laughing at their foolishness. At 2 Oliva decided to call it a night and left to go to her house. When she walked into her house it was dark so she locked the door and decided to go to the kitchen. She was stopped in her tracks when her brother spun around in his favorite chair. He seemed to examine her with his eyes and gave her a disapproving frown. Oliva bit her lip and decided to go to her room but her brother got up and blocked her way. He made it clear that she wasn’t going anywhere until she told the story. Oliva knew she couldn’t tell the truth so lied about how they played hide and seek in the wood and she fell. Mike scolded her for being so cautious but let her shower and go to bed. At 8 she was awoken by sudden movement and saw Megan on her bed smiling. Megan greeted Oliva and told her to get dressed. Once Oliva was dressed they went downstairs and Megan pulled Oliva to Taylor’s house and said they were all meeting up and they had texted about it.

Sure enough her phone was blown up with 256 texts from their group chat. She sighed and walked in and headed up to Taylor’s room. Oliva was shocked when she was Clare there. Clare smiled and waved to Megan and Oliva. Clare still had an awed look in her eyes but she could actually talk this time. They all went over what happened and how they would do it better next time. Immediately Oliva objected to having to do it again but then her friends gave her hints that they would keep the charade up. Oliva felt pressure so just agreed. When they gave out roles Taylor, in typical Taylor fashion, volunteered to retrieve the watermelon next Wednesday. Oliva knew Taylor cared for her but she knew she wanted to be in the center of attention and she could see the jealousy in Taylor’s eyes when she came back. For the next three weeks of summer that's what happened; every Tuesday they’d review what they’d do. Wednesday they’d actually do the deed and on Thursday have a meeting about the next time. All of the girls have taken a watermelon but the best duo was Carly and Oliva. They always were successful and the watermelon never broke. It was a hot thursday night in July when Oliva was walking home from their weekly meeting and had a huge goofy smile. This week she was going to be the person who gets the melon and she’d be with Megan so they were both excited. When Oliva came inside she immediately went to the kitchen but she stopped in her tracks at the doorway. Inside her dining room her parents and Mr. Kerr were talking quietly. She gave her parents a bewildered look and her mom gave a soft laugh and explained to Mr. Kerr that she hadn’t seen him in so long that she was just shocked. Her dad motioned for her to sit down. As if she was in a dream she headed over and sat with the group. Oliva’s dad explained that Mr. Kerr had come to tell them that four of his watermelons were missing and he was wondering if we knew anything about it. Her mom laughed again and told Mr. Kerr that they hadn’t taken any of his watermelons but they’d look out for a watermelon thief. After Mr. Kerr left, Oliva’s mom told her to wash the dishes and they talked. Oliva asked what they thought of Mr. Kerr and her mom answered that he was just a little confused. Oliva’s dad said he should have a helper and he’s a crazy old man torn by grief. Oliva’s mom scowled at her dad and told Oliva to go upstairs. Oliva knew her dad had very loud opinions and her mom was too polite for her own good. Oliva also knew the only reason her parents weren’t divorced was because of her brother and her. Oliva heard their shouts from upstairs so she put her headphones in and buried her head in the pillow and thought. After a little while she took out her earphones and realized it was raining. She took a hot shower and got in her bed. Oliva had a skylight right above her bed so she watched the water droplets splatter on her window. She fell asleep to the soft pitter-pattering of the rain. When she woke up it was still raining but there was a soft gray glow from outside. Oliva quickly pulled on some clothes and her old red rain jacket. She shoved her rain boots on and went over to Taylor’s house. It was 7 in the morning but Oliva knew Taylor would be up. After knocking on her door and calling Taylor Olivia gave up and decided to just walk in the rain for a little while. Oliva then just sat on the curb and looked at the rain. Someone must have seen her because she heard footsteps and Clare plopped down right next to her and propped her face on her hands. Oliva looked at her and Clare smiled. Clare also had a very bright rain jacket. They sat down for a little mutually enjoying each other’s company. After fifteen minutes it started pouring and Clare got up and got her phone out.

When Oliva asked what she was doing Clare just smiled and started playing some energetic music and jumping in puddles. Oliva laughed and got up to join her. Together in the pouring rain wearing neon rain jackets they splashed each other and laughed. When they were soaked to their bones and falling of laughter they decided to go into Clare’s house to get changed. Oliva borrowed some of Clare's clothes and headed downstairs with Clare after they changed. Clare got out some celery and peanut butter when Oliva gave her a puzzled look. Clare’s cheeks got red and she muttered something about breakfast. Oliva laughed and declared she’d get her a real breakfast and pulled her into her house by her arm. Once Oliva entered her house she ran into the kitchen and grabbed the lucky charms box and poured half of it into a huge bowl. Oliva filled the huge bowl with milk. She then grabbed a handful of massive marshmallows and some chips ahoy. She put the marshmallows in and crumbled the chips ahoy into the bowl. She topped it off with some whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Oliva then looked at Clare for approval and Clare just looked horrified. Oliva laughed and grabbed the bowl and Clare’s wrist. She threw herself on the sofa and pulled Clare on. She put the bowl down and put the tv on some random station. Oliva gave Clare a spoon and Clare was just frozen in shock. Oliva laughed and started eating the monstrosity. Clare muttered something about psychopaths and started eating along with Oliva. In two hours they finished the whole bowl and Clare got a call and found out her mom needed her. Oliva said goodbye and went back to the couch. On the tv she saw her parents and immediately frowned. Both her parents were successful lawyers but they only seemed to get along in the court. They were being interviewed about some big murder case and they had matching smiles. Oliva immediately clicked off. On camera they seemed to have the perfect lives: perfect smiles, perfect marriage, perfect house, and perfect jobs. Oliva for just a second wished that her parents would maybe treat her like their cases and then she expelled that though from her mind. She got bored of just watching some trash Mexican soap opera so Oliva decided to go and see if Megan was up. Once Oliva knocked Megan opened up looking distraught. Megan quickly ushered her into her room and words poured out of her mouth like oil. Eventually Oliva could gather tha Mr. Kerr had headed to Megan’s house too. With this information they can safely assume Mr. Kerr told the whole neighborhood. When Megan asked if they should just stop their little ritual Oliva said a strong no. These little nightly outings had been Oliva’s outing. It was something to look forward to every week and one little secret that was just Oliva’s. She wasn’t ready to give that up yet. When Megan questioned her motives Oliva snapped at her in a tone that was probably a little too harsh. Megan was a little taken aback so Oliva made up an excuse and left quickly. The days leading up to Wednesday Oliva hung out with friends, watched movies, went on bike rides, and played video games with her brothers. All of these activities were just time wasters for Oliva while she waited for Wednesday night. On Tuesday when they were going all over the plan the group of girls all seemed more reluctant than regular to do the deed. Carly brought up how it could be illegal but Oliva asked what the worst thing that could happen and they decided to continue with the plan as always. During the meeting Megan did decide that she didn’t want to be the one to steal the watermelon. Oliva was hurt but tried not to show it. Clarence, in the end, stepped up and it was decided that Oliva and Clare would be the ones to steal the melon like they did on the first night.

Once the meeting dispersed they were going to watch a movie but Oliva wasn’t in the mood so she just went home early. When Oliva woke up on Wednesday she was very nervous but pushed the thought away. Last night she made a discovery. She realized that in the end their weekly heist didn’t matter all that really mattered was her friends. Oliva immediately pulled on some old clothes and rushed over to Megan’s house to apologize. After a lot of knocking Megan’s brother came and opened the door looking half asleep. Oliva ran past him bounding up the stairs like a puppy. She kicked the door open and Megan jumped up and shrieked in surprise. Everything Oliva wanted to say came pouring out. Megan laughed and hugged her. Megan quickly got dressed and when Oliva asked if she still wanted to go Megan answered with a strong yes. Megan said that they already planned it so they might as well follow through. Oliva and Megan asked the rest of the group and they all agreed to continue with the plan. So, at 12 am a bunch of 15 year old girls were waiting behind a fence to steal some old man's watermelon. The normally tense mood was replaced with a very light one. Ever since Oliva was taking it less seriously everybody was in a better mood and just having a better time. They were cracking jokes, playing games, and in general having a much better time. At 12:30 Taylor motioned for Clare and Oliva to go inside and get the watermelon. Oliva and Megan used the way they did on the first night this time, however, Oliva was much better. She landed square on the metal rod and actually got to the tree this time. Both Megan and Oliva slid down the tree and met Clare in the middle. An improvement they made was just three to four people go because more people is more chaos. This time it was only Megan, Clare, and Oliva. Once Oliva and Clare saw each other Megan left the premise and it was only the two girls. They made their way to the watermelon patch when they were bathed in a bright white light. They heard a yell and Mr. Kerr came running at them with a cane in his hand. Clare froze in fear but Oliva quickly grabbed her wrist and pulled her in the darkness. As soon as they entered the sea of darkness they were in the circle of light once more. Clare got her wits about her and pushed Oliva away and told her to split up. Clare was smart and was wearing a dark hoodie and jeans. Oliva, on the other hand, was wearing her bright green hoodie with bright pink and jean shorts. Unluckily, but not surprisingly, The light followed Oliva. She raced into a corner and when she turned Oliva saw Mr. Kerr was making his way to her. Oliva also saw Clare near an exit so she mouthed to her to leave. Clare must have got the message because she gave her a guilty look but started climbing the fence. Oliva was relieved that her friend was out but now she needed to find a way out herself. Oliva dodged the light and headed towards the fountain at a fast sprint. Mr. Kerr wasn’t far behind her but she had confidence that if she could get to the border of the yard Oliva would be able to hide out in the trees and hopefully get away. Only a few yards away from the fountain Oliva tripped on one of the upturned bricks and went tumbling down. Mr. Kerr came right next to her towering above her holding his cane menacingly. Oliva looked around and rolled to the left and got up. Mr. Kerr seemed shocked for a second. Oliva took advantage of his temporary confusion and ran towards Smith's yard. Knowing from experience she ran towards the corner and hurled herself to the loose board. She went flying out of Mr. Kerr’s yard and towards freedom. Oliva ended up in a bush and quickly jumped up.She ran as fast as humanly possible to Carly’s house. She banged on the gate door and her friends let her in immediately, They started questioning her but Oliva just started laughing and suggested they watch a movie and discuss later. At three am Oliva headed home and went to sleep. She slept in and got up around 12. She went downstairs to her parents actually getting along. When she asked the bewildered they told her about how crazy Mr. Kerr came over and told them that somebody had broken into his backyard just to steal a watermelon. They both laughed and Oliva froze in fear. Then she relaxed, smiled and agreed. She went outside to meet with her friends Megan, Carly, Taylor, and Clare at Taylor’s house.