Happy with what I had | Teen Ink

Happy with what I had

May 12, 2019
By DJAlyss GOLD, El,paso, Texas
More by this author
DJAlyss GOLD, El,paso, Texas
12 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Practice doesn't make perfect,
Practice makes Permanent


I wake up to my two dogs – Princess and Gem- licking me. “Yuck” I mumble while pushing them off. As soon as they hop off my alarm rings. Yay, Wednesday, I think. I do my daily routine. Get up, shower, Make my bed and pack my backpack.

My parents have this psychotic delusion that if they drop me of early I might actually eat breakfast. However, I refuse to. I won’t, I am way to nauseous in the morning to even think about food. Instead I sit at a table and read “Refuge” By Alan Grate. About five minutes into my book I feel someone staring at me. I look up and smile.

“Hi”, I say, blushing a bit. “Hi”, Marcus replies, smiling. I toss my book into my backpack. I clasp my hands in front of me a bit anxious and smile. “So, how long have you been watching me read?” I ask him. “Oh well sadly only for about three minutes.” He replies, “I wish it was longer, you’re even more beautiful when you read.”

            I hold back a blush. “Thanks.” I say, “So are you ready for second period?” I ask him. “You know I hate English”, he says rolling his eyes. “Personally I prefer Science.” He continues. “Oh”, I say frowning a bit, “I despise Science I am absolute rubbish at it.” He laughs and I feel my stomach flutter a bit.

            This boy is absolutely amazing, I think to myself. He asks me where I used to live before I moved here. “Well,” I start, “I used to live in a small town near here, then I moved to Odessa, it’s about four hours from here. Now I’m here.
            “Damn,” He says, “It must’ve been hard moving so much.” I shrug. “Eh, it was. We are staying here for three years though” I tell him. “Really” He says in disbelief. “Yeah.” I tell him. “I am moving to Alaska for three years. After this year of course.”

            I feel my stomach knot. “Oh.” I say. I guess he recognizes my disappointment, so he says flustered, “Well, I- I uhm- well I am planning on staying in touch with my friend here of course.” He blushes a bit and recovers. He then smiles shyly.

            “Do you want my number?” I say it too abruptly, and hopeful. I panic and blush and put my hands underneath the table and pop my knuckles. I giggle nervously. He looks…Embarrassed dare I say? “No, I don’t have a phone.” He tells me. “Oh, so how do you plan to ‘stay in touch’ without one?” I ask him, genuinely curious. “Well,” he says, “I know you aren’t a fan of social media but, I have Instagram and if you ever want to chat text me on this.” He writes his account on a piece of paper. I take it and pocket it.

            “Oh” I tell him. I don’t have social media, like, any kind.” He looks at me kind of perplexed. “Well, you should get Instagram, it’s pretty cool.” He tells me. “Okay then I’ll think about it.” The bell rings.

            “We gotta get to class.” Marcus tells me picking up my backpack. I take it from him. “I know, tell the teacher I might be running late. I have to do something.” I tell him. “Yes ma’am. See you in first period.” He replies. I smile flirtatiously and wait for him to round the corner.

  As soon as he is out of sight, I take off running.

“Juli!, Oh my God guess what just happened??” I just ran from one side of the school to the other side to tell my best friend what just happened. She is always getting to school at the last minute so, I had to scrounge the school for her before running to first period.

“Hey Chris what happened? You look like you just won the lottery.” She says, raising an eyebrow. “Omg yes, do you have Instagram?” I ask. “I thought you hated social media.” She says eyeing me suspiciously. “Well people change.” I tell her. The late bell rings. “Talk to you at lunch!” I say. We hug and say bye as I run.

 

************************************************  “Thanks for covering for me.” I tell Marcus as I sit down beside him, out of breathe. “No problem Chris.” He replies. Todays ‘A’ day. So we have Theatre first period. We have a sub – thank God- and we do whatever we want. Everyone pulls out there phones and plugs in their headphones to be encased in the isolation known as music. I am just about to do the same when I see Marcus sitting awkwardly beside me. I mentally kick myself. He doesn’t have a phone. Idiot. I think to myself. I put away my phone and turn to Marcus.

            “So?” I say. “Sooo….What do you want to talk about beautiful?” He asks. I blush a bit. “Stuff.” I reply, smiling shyly. “Hm…” he says, pretending to think hard. “Do you want to watch videos or something on my phone?” I offer him. “Nah.” He reaches for my hand. “I want to get to know you.” He says. “And what exactly do you, Marcus, want to know about my open book self?” I ask him, welcoming his warm, soft hand into mine. “Okay,” he says, “Back and forth, ready?” I nod my head.

“Favorite color?”

“Blue.”

“Favorite animal?”

“Dog”

“Favorite hobby?”

“Violin”

“I didn’t know you played violin.” He says. The bell rings. He takes my backpack as well as his and still holds onto my hand. “Well now you do.” I tell him.

*****************************************************************************************

            Later at lunch. “And then, we walked to second period. Holding. Hands. Ahhh!!!” I tell Genesis and Juli with glee. “So true,” Juli says, “You let go of his hand when you walked into second period.”  “Ah!” squeals Genesis. “I know guys, I know, I almost died.” I tell them.

            I look over to where Marcus is sitting with his friends at another table. We make eye contact and he winks at me before returning to the conversation he was having with his friends. I sigh. “He’s just too perfect I don’t know how I am going to cope.” I think aloud. “Cope with what?” Juli asks.

            I explain to them how he is moving. They console me. The bell rings and we head off to class.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.