The Cliffhanger Problem Between Lovebirds | Teen Ink

The Cliffhanger Problem Between Lovebirds

This work is purely fictional and does not depict any real-life stories. Strictly not recommended for under-12s

[The scene continues one day after Mary explained her medical condition. Mary and Phil are pretty happy and comfortable with their relationship. Nathan and Willfully support them and have fun with them as always. Things are finally going right.]

[Scene: The teens are in school besides their lockers, talking happily, figuring out what they should do next after they go home.]

Nathan: We’re the most popular gang in school!! Everybody loves our story! 😁

Phil: But don’t forget, Mary is the main character in the story. She is even more popular than us guys.

Mary: I don’t much care. As long I have all you guys, Phil in particular, I can survive any landscape.

Nathan and Will: Oooooooooooh! Open testimony to the progressing relationship. Keep up with it, guys!😋

Mary: Ok ok, don’t fret about it. We still have 2 classes to go to. So, get on with your Geography notes, or else Miss Minster will be cross with you if you’re late.

Nathan: All right. Come on guys, let’s go!

[ The bell rings, and they all go into class, with a tall and spooky figure, who is Miss Minster, heading them into the class.]

[ The scene now shifts to an unnamed road with all the four friends walking down to their respective homes]

Nathan: School was unbelievably boring today. I swear my watch stopped while listening to class because that’s how slow it went. 🤔

Will: Yep, that’s absolutely true. I have the same feeling.

Mary: There’s absolutely no use talking about the past. Let’s talk about what we’re going to do now.

Nathan: Maybe, let’s play video games at my house and talk about our homework afterwards.

Will: That’s a good idea, perhaps. Let’s scatter.

Phil: You guys go. I’ll be behind. [only to Mary] Mary, I want to ask you something.

Mary: [looking disgusted] Is it about a first date with you? You want me to go with you on a date?😒

Phil: How…… how did you…..?😮

Mary: [a little apprehensive] The look on your face?🙄

Phil: [surprised] Um, yeah. I actually wanted to ask about that, yeah. So, do you want to go?😯

Mary: [happily] Absolutely! I’m happy too! 😍

Phil: [elated] So, tomorrow? Is it okay? [now looking concerned] Wait, are you sure that your adrenaline levels aren’t going up?😕

Mary: Positive. And excellent!😁

Phil: [stutters] Ye… yeah, excellent! So, see you tomorrow night!😊

[ Mary goes to her home, while Phil hurries to Nathan’s house, where Mrs. Parker greets him]

[Scene: Inside Nathan’s study]

Nathan: What took you so long? We were starting to worry.

Phil: Nothing, I was just talking with Mary.

Will: You’re both going out tomorrow, aren’t you?

Phil: How………. how did you……?

Nathan: Just your expression.

Phil: I really need to control my emotions. But yeah, that’s what happened. I asked her out on a date.

[Both Nathan and Phil held their breath in suspense]

Nathan: What happened? What did she say?

Phil: Well……………[ with a paused breath] She said yes.

Nathan and Will: Whohoo!!! Yay!!🥳

Phil: She was actually happy that I asked her out. But not so happy that her adrenaline level went up.

Nathan: That’s good, Phil. I’m happy for you both!

Will: Yeah, I’m happy for you too, and Mary too.

Phil: Well, now that you know this, we aren’t going to be so interested in homework, right?

Nathan: Yep, that’s true. We’re not at all interested in homework now. So, let’s talk about where you’re going to take her tomorrow. Do you have something in mind?

Phil: I don’t have the foggiest clue about it. I was hoping that you would suggest some great places.

Nathan: Well, we usually don’t go to restaurants, purely because Mom doesn’t have the time to get out, being in government.

Will: Well, you could always take her to Little Frankie’s or Garfunkel’s. I heard it’s famous in these suburbs. Or if you want more elegant and more expensive, you can go to IES London’s. It’s a first-class restaurant. If you’re thinking tea, then Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop is always simple and perfect for a first date.

Phil: That’s a lot of options for a first date.

Nathan: Well, you always want the first impression to be the best impression. Same here with the first date.

Phil: I think I will go to the tea shop.

Nathan: Good selection. Next, fashion. I think a tux will be fine. What do you say, Will?

Will: Yep. That will be perfect for the occasion.

Phil: I think I just have the right black tuxedo for the occasion. I’m so lucky to have you guys.

Nathan: One more thing. Better tell your parents that you have plans for tomorrow so that they’ll understand that you’re occupied tomorrow night.

Phil: Will do, Nathan. Thanks for everything, you guys.

Will: Happy to help.

[ The scene shifts to Mary’s house, where she is excited, but horrified about the date. We also see Mrs. Jane, who is Mary’s mother.]

Mary: Oh…. My…. God! Phil just asked me out on a date!

Mrs. Jane: Just calm down. We don’t want your adrenaline levels to be up. So, you want me to give advice on fashion?

Mary: You will do that? Thank you, Mum!

Mrs. Jane: Of course. After all, I’m your mom. It would only be appropriate that I should help you on these matters. So, fashion. Boys expect beauty from girls, at least your father did. So, it’s either a simple, elegant long frock or a modern pink top, with jeans. Which one do you want to select?

Mary: Uh, there’s not many options, but I think I’ll go with the long frock.

Mrs. Jane: A good choice, Mary. It’s simple, yet beautiful. I know you will look beautiful in this.

Mary: Thanks again, Mom!

Mrs. Jane: Anytime.

[Both Phil and Mary are happy with their choices. The scene continues the next day at school besides their lockers.]

Nathan: So, everything ready, Phil? Is reservation done yet? Tuxedo ironed? All ready?

Phil: Honestly, I think you are under more stress than me in this matter. Just calm down.

Will: She’s coming. Get ready to speak.

[Mary enters the scene with lots of books inside her bag]

Mary: So, you got something special planned for me? Do you want to say what it is?

Phil: I don’t think so. It’s a surprise.

Mary: [chuckling] Hope it’s just good enough.

Nathan: Better go. We don’t want to be caught late outside of class.

[ So saying, all of them went inside class]

[ The scene now shifts to Phil’s house at 5 in the evening. He’s seen clutching a cordless phone.]

Phil: [speaking to himself while dialling on his cordless phone] Mary, please pick up, pick up, pick up……….. [the beep sounds] Ok, don’t pick up. Listen, this is Phil. [now concerned] I can’t come to the date. I’ve been grounded, for a week, by my Mom of course, for breaking my friend’s rear derailleur. Plus, the expenses I’ve been hoping to cover from my pocket money are also gone, as I used to repay him for his trouble. Please forgive me, as I knew you have been so looking forward to this. If you wondered where I was taking you, it was Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop. Once again, sorry!

[ So saying, he keeps the phone, feeling despaired, sad and disgusted that he had let her down.]

[The scene now shifts to Mary’s house, where despite agreeing with Phil to date, she didn’t even get ready.]

[ Mary listens to the message left by Phil]

Cordless Phone: [in Phil’s voice] ……………………. Please forgive me, as I knew you have been so looking forward to this. If you wondered where I was taking you, it was Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop. Once again, sorry!

Mary: [disgusted and speaking to herself] Expected it already. My friend Miranda already told me about it.

[ Suddenly, Mrs. Jane came inside her room, obviously surprised by Mary’s clothes]

Mrs. Jane: What…. What are you…….. didn’t you get ready for your date?

Mary: [disgusted] Phil cancelled the date. He was grounded for some reason.

Mrs. Jane: Oh. So, that’s disappointing. Well, talk to him tomorrow, figure out what had happened.

Mary: I am not going to. I’m not even continuing the relationship with him anymore.

Mrs. Jane: But, he seemed a nice boy. Also, he’s very kind and lovely.

Mary: That’s just a cover. I need to go.

[ So saying, Mary gets out of her house, with Miranda, her friend waiting outside. Miranda is a tall girl with black and red hair, somewhat like a pop girl]

Mary: Let’s go.

[ So saying, she rushes out of the house]

[The scene shifts to the school next day, where Phil is seen lamenting]

Phil: I feel so bad.

Nathan: I’m sure Mary will understand.

Will: Look. There she is, coming now!

[Indeed, Mary was coming towards Phil]

Phil: Look, Mary. I didn’t mean to get grounded. I hope you understand.

Mary: I perfectly understand. And that’s why I’m breaking up.

Phil: [horrified] Whaaaaaat?! For only one mistake?

Mary: Not for one mistake. I know your true nature.

[So saying, she just went rudely, joining with Miranda]

Nathan: Why did Mary just go with Miranda?

Phil: Who’s Miranda?

Will: She’s in our year and she has a reputation to poison everyone mentally.

Phil: Then why the heck is no one noticing?

Will: I may have exaggerated. That reputation is purely and exclusively created by me and is believed upon by nobody except me.

Phil: [smacking his forehead] Oy……… Now’s not the time for jokes, Will.

Nathan: Since I still have her trust and friendship, I might ask her what happened.

Will: I’ll accompany you too.

Nathan: No, Will. Stay here and give some company to Phil. Maybe just make him laugh with some of your jokes.

[ Nathan starts running behind Mary, but suddenly Mary turns behind and sees Nathan. The consequence of this is that Nathan just had a face plant on the ground.]

Nathan: Don’t do that anymore! I got………uh……………….. surprised !

Mary: Miranda told me all about you too. So, get out of my life!

Nathan: [angrily] This isn’t like you at all, Mary, to turn on friends and behaving as if we were your sworn enemies!

Mary: Well, I’ve changed. You do so, too. Now get out!

[Nathan looked pretty surprised, and was unable to get out of the feeling until Phil shook him off]

Phil: What happened? Did you change her mind? I NEED ANSWERS !!!!

Nathan: [now back to the present] I’m sorry. Where was I?

Will: You were about to tell me what happened?

Nathan: Yeah. She kicked us all out. Or should I say she quit on us?

Phil: WHAT?!! What did she say?

Nathan: She said that she knew all …………………….

Will: [continuing Nathan’s sentence] about our true nature.

Nathan: How did you know?

Will: It happens in every movie. Everything goes well, and something worse happens in the middle.

Nathan: Well, it’s sort of true in this case.

Phil: [sadly, and sobbing] Oh… My… God !

Nathan: As long as we’re there, we won’t let your relationship die due to this unknown poison.

Will: Uh, if we don’t know what poison it is, then how do we know how to cure it?

Nathan: [angrily whispering] Don’t add any insult to his injury! He’s bad enough as it is.

Will: [pissed off] All right! Phil, we’re even willing to suck the poison as long as it takes to save your relationship!

Nathan: [whispering] Now, that’s a little exaggerated. [to Phil] What he meant to say was, he’ll try to help in any way he can.

Phil: Thanks guys, but I don’t think it will do much help. Mary’s mindset has already changed.

Nathan: Mary is becoming Miranda-lized. Look there.

[Mary’s braids match Miranda’s, which is a sure indication. Also, they start to spend more and more time together.]

Phil: Oh…. My…… God. Now that’s alarming!

Nathan: All right, guys! Here’s what we should do! Phil, you just stay out of Mary’s way, because she’s in a bad mood. Maybe make a scrapbook out of all the photos you took in these six months.

Phil: She never takes any. She’s always seclusive, except to me.

Nathan: Oh, ok. Then, just let us do the job. We’ll give you regular updates. [to Will] Will, you and me, we both spy on Mary, to figure out what’s happening to her. 

Will: Uh, ok?? [now composing himself] OK! Let’s do it!

[Nathan and Will both rush to the playground, where Mary is seen playing cricket with Miranda]

Nathan: Huh, that’s weird. Mary never plays cricket. She always plays softball with us.

Will: It’s as you said, she’s becoming Miranda-lized.

Nathan: True. Let’s see what happens next, and get some more info.

[ So, they follow Mary whenever they can. In the playground, in the class, wherever she goes, they go.]

[ 2 days later]

Nathan: We’ve got substantial evidence that Miranda has changed Mary’s mindset by saying something false.

Will: You’re talking like a detective, you know that right??

Nathan: That’s because we’ve been detectives for the past 2 days.

Phil: [now steaming from the ears] Oh, come on! Damn it! I’m dying over here and you’re not helping!
Will: Oh. Sorry, Will. But Nathan is a little bit………uh, the detective job went to his head.

Phil: Oh, ok. Then at least, tell us what evidence you’ve got.

Nathan: Let me tell. She eats with Miranda, she always talks with Miranda, she studies with Miranda………..

Phil: We already know that. Anything out of the ordinary??

Will: Well, once I heard her talking to Miranda. She said to her that she is grateful to her for being her friend and that she’s being a true friend. They were discussing their friendship that day, and Mary was pretty happy, happier than the face I saw for my entire lifetime.

Nathan: Well, I think we need to talk to Miranda privately.

Will: [to Phil] Now, I can surely say that he’s mad.

[ He goes to the library, where Miranda sits separately. The three boys stare at Miranda for almost 2 minutes, after which Miranda starts a conversation]

Miranda: What do you want?! You’ve been staring for almost 3 minutes!!

Phil: [angrily] Well, I want to know why Mary is spending so much time with you

Miranda: Is it that big of a deal? Well, I won’t tell you.

Nathan: Pardon me, but we’re detectives and we urge you to tell the truth. Why did Mary push us away?

[Suddenly, Phil rushes and almost stampedes Miranda, but can’t, because Nathan and Will caught him by his shoulders]

Phil: [shouting] TELL ME THE TRUTH, YOU LIAR!!

Miranda: [surprised] All right, all right. Mary asked me to befriend her because she realized that she needs a friend who is a girl.

Phil: Because you changed her mindset like that!

Miranda: No, because of your date. She needed someone to give her advice, but there was no one else except her mom.

Phil: How did you know about our date?

Miranda: She told me the next day.

Phil: She could have asked us for the advice!

Miranda: To give you advice on how to dress for a date? No, she needed a girl who can give it. But there was no one else for her except you three and her mom. So, the next day, she found me worthy of being friends with her, so she made an offer of friendship and I accepted. She also told that only a girl can understand another girl’s true feelings.

Nathan: But that still doesn’t explain why she pushed us away.

Miranda: That… was partially due to me. I……may have spread some bad thoughts about you in her mind.

Will: What? But why?

Miranda: Because I was jealous of you four. You were so sticky like glue, that I knew that I couldn’t possibly separate you. But then, the opportunity presented itself, so I created a story about my imaginary boyfriend and how he left me.

That’s how I planted the poison in her mind, and that led her to believe that boys are not worthy of girls, and she left all three of you.

[All three boys were in utter shock]

Miranda: Uh, hello? Hello??

[ Now, the boys snap out of it]

Nathan: Well, that explains it.

Phil: [angrily] Dang it! So, you’re responsible for all of the commotion between us four.

Miranda: [guilty] Well, yeah.

Nathan: So, it’s up to you to repair his and Mary’s relationship. And maybe, write some stories and publish them in the school newspaper. At least that will give you some popularity.

Miranda: [now disgusted with her own behaviour] All right, all right. I’ll talk to her. So, can we be friends?

Will: [now a little bit concerned for Miranda] We’ll see.

[The scene ends with all the three boys smiling, while Miranda runs out of the library to see Mary]

[The next day, Mary approaches Phil in a cautious manner]

Phil: Well, well, look here. It’s Mary.

Mary: Miranda told me everything about her imaginary story. So, I’m sorry? Please?

[Mary stares in pity, while all the other three boys remain silent. After that, Nathan starts speaking]

Nathan: Welcome back, Mary.

Will: You bet. Welcome back.

Phil: So, can we restart our relationship?

Mary: You bet.

Phil: So, you want a first date again?

Mary: Just make sure not to get grounded. Otherwise, I might change my mind.

Phil: Ok.

[ Phil slowly turns to Will, Nathan, and Miranda. But he is shocked.]

Phil: Just what the heck is going on?

[ Now everybody sees Will and Miranda]

Will: Um….. uh…………. Well, you see…………………

Miranda: He just wants to say that he and I are starting a relationship too.

Nathan: When did this happen?!

Will: Well, yesterday evening. After you two went off, I stayed with Miranda. She confessed that she had a crush on me.

Miranda: [now blushing] Yeah, I did.

Will: I was surprised at first, but when she asked whether we can be friends with her, her eyes were pointing to me. So, I know that she wasn’t lying.

Phil: Oh, now I understand. You created that rumour of her poisoning everybody’s minds because you had a crush on her too and you wanted to make sure that nobody else had the chance.

Nathan: Is it true?

Miranda: [raising an eyebrow] Is it?

Will: Um, yeah.

Miranda: Well, I’m surprised!

Nathan: So, how did you agree?

Will: I have no idea. I just agreed. It was like some part of my brain was just overtaken by Miranda.

Phil Says the guy, who ridiculed me for my name. That’s how I experienced when Mary asked me.

Nathan: So, we have 2 couples in our quartet? Or should I say a group of 5 members?

Will: I think you can safely say that. For a start, what do we call a group of 5 members?

Mary: A quintet. That’s what we call it.

Nathan: Ok, we have now a quintet. And 2 couples.

Will: This is good actually. Expanding our group will help us make more friendships.

Nathan: True.

Phil: 100% right.

[Soon, the bell rings and Miss Minster stands outside the class, brandishing her books. The quintet stops celebrating and gets on with the flow.]

Mary: And here’s Geography class, waiting for burying us under the study of Earth.

Nathan: And we don’t want to be late.

Miranda: Let’s go.

[ So saying, all the five teens get into class.]

[The group now consists of 5 members as I told, and are happily going on about their business. They co-operate with each other in all matters. But something is stumped. Why did Mary choose Miranda? Why did Miranda have a crush on Will? I’ll leave that to your imagination😁]