Butterfly | Teen Ink

Butterfly

November 17, 2021
By minh2008, Newton, Massachusetts
More by this author
minh2008, Newton, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I'm a students. A great movie inspired me to write this short story.

“ click, click”

“ crunch, crunch”

“ click”


Daisy used both of her hands to pull the two suitcases along with her as she tried to catch up with Calvin. It’s heavy. However,, it wasn’t the thing she was concerned about right now. 

“ Did you put money in my Gym’s account?” Calvin asked, looking up from his phone.

“ Yeah,” she slowly said, ”Why didn’t you put your money in?”

Daisy shut her mouth as she saw Calvin’ glare through the sun glasses. She

lowered her head. Silent. Her heart hurts, but she didn’t say anything, she simply sighed and looked away.

“ Woah!” Daisy said as she took off her sunglasses to admire the beauty of the cruise, “ Calvin! Look!”

Calvin spun around only to say, “ Is this the expensive one to the Bahamas that I told you to book?”

“ Yeah, I worked so late this whole month to collect enough money. But I think we will have a fun time being together here, so it’s worth it.” Daisy said without taking her eyes off the view.

“ Wait! Let's take a picture!” Daisy reached into her brand new soft black backpack and pulled out her phone. She pulled her boyfriend in, as she snapped tons of pictures of them and the cruise, “ There!”


Calvin started to walk toward the entrance when someone bumped into him.  

“ Ouch! Watch where you’re going!”

“ Sorry!” came the reply.

As Calvin adjusted his shirt and glanced up, he saw that the person who just bumped into him was a young and beautiful lady, dressed in a silky red one-shoulder dress. She is smiling at him. He couldn’t help but stare back.


The glitter on the wall shines in Daisy’s eyes as she walks inside. Waiters, waitresses in suits came rushing in and out carrying orders. She coughed as the smell of perfume filled her nose. The reflection of the chandeliers on the ceiling danced around her as it filled her heart with joy. She glanced back at Calvin, expecting him to look at her and smile, but for some reason,  he didn’t. Why did she expect Calvin to see her looking at him? He could have been focused on the fancy stuff around here. He loves her, right? Why does she worry about it? She pushed her thought away, and walked toward the front desk. Meanwhile, Calvin was desperately trying to find the beautiful lady who smiled at him. He saw her, standing in front of the gold clear stairs with a man in a sober navy-blue suit, about 50 years of age. “What a waste for the pretty, young woman,” he thought. Just then, the young lady spun around, catching Calvin looking at her. She smiled and nodded as she started to follow the man in a blue suit, leaving Calvin there, stunned. Calvin's mind was racing, until a soft arm pulled his arm. He turns around, sees his girlfriend looking at him.

“ Are you okay?” she asked, concerned.

He forced a smile, said “ Why do you think I’m not?”

“ I dunno,” her voice was low and soft as it brought him back to reality, “ You looked like you forgot your brain somewhere.”

“ I’m fine!” He snapped, “ Stop asking those stupid question.”

“ Ok.” She spun around then turned back to him, “ Let’s go!”

“ Yeah,” he smiled back, “Yeah.” 

Daisy pulled her suitcases with her toward the front desk, with Calvin lagging behind. They went through a lot of processes and finally got their keys. She felt a hand pull her back, it was Calvin.

“Huh?” 

Calvin gazed at her, “ Umm… Daisy, how about you go to our room first?”

 “ Why?”

Calvin looked like he was under the gun, “ Uh… This cruise is big, you know. So I thought I should go around to see which places are best so we could go there later.”

Daisy thought for a second, “ Ok. That is very nice of you.”

“ Yeah, thanks.” Calvin looked relaxed for a little bit, “ It’s gonna be fun tonight, right?”

“ Yes.” Daisy’s eyes were glowing as she thought about how much Calvin loves her.

“ Bye.” He turned and walked away.

She tilted her head, and waved back, “ Bye!”

Daisy couldn’t stop smiling as she turned on her heels and walked into the elevator.


-1 hour later-

Daisy filled the bed with rose petals that she bought at the customer service. With the help of 15 balloons on the floor and the wine bottle at the night stand, the rose petals seem to glow, making the room even more romantic. She took a step back, examining her works.

“Hmm,” Daisy said to herself as she tapped her chin, “Not bad.”

She glanced down, realizing she hadn't changed her clothes yet. She opened the narrow white closet and took out a simple sleeveless green dress and put it on. Perfect. But. She couldn’t pull the zipper all the way up. Her hair stuck and so did her head. 

Her phone buzzed, “Calvin, can you wait a minute? I have to change my clothes.”

“ That is okay. Anyway, I booked a table for our date. My stomach hurts, you can just come and tell them the room number. Eat first if you want. I’ll come after I deal with my stomach.” Calvin said on the other side.

“Ok.” Daisy hung up.

---

Calvin smiled at the lady in his arm, and said, “Let’s go, my butterfly.”

“Oh, yeah,” said the lady as she leaned against him and by the second, they strolled away.

---

Daisy knocked on the next room’s door, silent. She kept knocking and knocking but received no response. She lost her hope, thinking of the consequences at the date, when she heard the clicking sound on the last door. The door slid open, leaving a handsome young man in a suit standing there. His face changed as he saw her, from happy to disappointed as if he expected someone else to show up instead of her. Of Course, she is a stranger to him.

“ Umm, hi.” The man said, “ how can I help you?”

Daisy felt embarrassed to ask a stranger, a man to help her with this. “ My hair is stuck in this dress zipper. Can you help?”

Then it’s the man’s turn to look embarrassed. 

“ Why don’t you ask someone else?” He started scratching his head, “ someone who is a female.”

“ I tried. Please, I have a date later and my boyfriend is waiting for me. Plus I don’t mind.”

“ But I do.” He leaned against the door to let her pass.

She walked toward the large mirror as the young man directed. She put her key card on the table. The room smells fresh. Then something catched her eyes. An oval diamond ring in a black small box. It’s so shining and beautiful. Just by a first look, she knew that she had fallen in love with it. 

She glanced back, “Are you going to engage someone?”

The man looked away then looked back, “ Yes. Why are you concerned?”

“ I just want to say that she is going to say yes.” She muttered to herself, 

“ Why does he have to be so protective?”

“ I’m not deaf.” The man said loud enough for the words to sink.

“ Sorry.” 

“ zipppp” The zipper went on the way up, setting Daisy. The man looked relieved for a second. 

“ Thanks,” she said to the man, who nodded. 

She grabbed her key card and walked toward the door. She thanks the man again as she exits. 

-15 minutes later-

The young man


I closed the door. Footsteps echoed through the hallway. A young man in grey clothes with a woman in a one-shoulder red dress walks toward me. I turned my back toward them. They are a young couple, what I am thinking, I thought. I turned around again, and saw the couple stop right in front of room “ 614”.  Isn’t that the young woman who asked me to help her with her dress room? Why are they here?

I opened my door and ducked in, listening.

“ Butterfly, this is my room. How about we come in and spend our time together here?” The man in grey clothes said.

Through the peephole, I saw the woman chuckle and caress the man's arm. She then said, “ Why shouldn’t we?” They entered.

I stumbled back, leaning against the wall. The youngman led a young woman in his room and they’ll spend their time there. His room? Isn’t that the room the young woman who got her hair stuck lives in? Or is the man in grey clothes cheating? Why am I drowning myself in this kind of situation? It’s other people's business! But what if that happens to me? 

Without thinking, I  opened the door and walked out, but stopped in front of the room where the young couple had just entered. I heard them laugh inside, anger filled my heart completely, and yet I had no idea why. I pulled out my phone and turned on the recording. Then I bent down and slid my phone through the open space beneath the door into the room. I raced down the hallway.

Daisy sits in a comfortable chair in one of the classy restaurants waiting for Calvin. The waiter brought out the food and set it on the table. She tapped her phone, calling“ Calvin, where are you?”

“ My stomach still hurts. I’m sorry, babe, but I’ll come later.” He blew a kiss through the phone.

“ Ok. Bye.” Daisy hung up and put her phone down when someone rushed toward her and sat down on the chair at her table. It was the man who helped her with her dress.

“ What are you doing here?” She looked at him.

The young man pulled out a door card, put it in front of her. She held it up and saw her name. She pulled out a card from her pocket and looked at it. It said, “Noah”. She gave him the card in her hand, “Sorry!”. How come Noah had her card and she had him? 

She glanced up, surprised to see the man still sitting there. “ Is there anything I could help you with?”

He stared at her saying nothing. He reached his hand out and took one of the bread and began chewing. 

“ hey hey! Why are you eating my food? These are for the date.

He glanced up, “ Date? Listen, I’m gonna ask you some questions and I want you to answer them, ok?” 

Daisy’s stomach turned as Noah took another bite. “ Ok.” For the first time in her life, she wishes for someone to go away.

“ What does your boyfriend look like?”

“ Tall, nearly your height. Black hair.” She lazyly responded.

“ What is he wearing today?” Noah asked. He took another piece of bread and began eating.

“ Why are you concerned?” 

Noah just stared at her, she swallowed. “ Grey jacket, white t-shirt, and grey pants.”

Noah clapped his hand suddenly. He recovered when he saw Daisy staring at him. “ I need you to come with me after I finish eating.“ He began to dig in the food.

“ Stop eating. These are for me and my boyfriend.” 

“Boyfriend?” He smirked, “ Anyway, I just need you to come with me.”

“ No! Why?” Daisy began to feel confused.

Noah realized that persuading Daisy to do something is not an easy job. He has to play higher. “ I lost my ring.” 

“ Oh my god. I’m so sorry.” 

“ And I think you stole it,” Noah taped his finger on the edge of the table.

“ What?” Daisy was clearly confused. How could a man eat her food and then accuse her of stealing his ring?

Noah glanced up, wearing an innocent face, “ Since you the one who seems to like it. It might be in your room. Let’s see.” He stood up and nodded at her then walked out without looking back.

Daisy had no other choice than to follow Noah to her room.

She opened the door to her room and stepped in.

“ Look for yourself. I didn’t do anything.” She stood facing the wall, angry that Noah had accused her of something she didn't do. 

“Um hm.” Noah bent down and took his phone.

Daisy heard a laughing sound. She turned around and saw a scene that immediately ripped her heart. Calvin was lying there on the bed with a woman. They laugh and laugh as they caress each other. They don’t know that, I’m here. Like I didn’t know that, this is happening. She glanced back at Noah, seeing he looked at her. Noah slowly nodded in sympathy like he knew about this before she did.

“Why?” her voice was breaking up, “ Why?”

Calvin spun around, shocked to see Daisy there. He quickly stood up from where he was lying. He said, “ I told you to stay in the restaurant and wait for me. Why are you here?” 

“ So I couldn’t see this happening?” Daisy glanced up, her eyes full of tears.

“ Look Daisy,” Calvin grabbed her hands, “ this is not what you think this is. I was trying to find some medicine for my stomach and I asked this lady, who lives next door, for her medicine.”

“ But why is she in here?” 

“ She lives near the balcony and her clothes were wet during the cruise so she came here and asked to borrow some clothes.”

“ Borrow clothes or borrow the bed?” Noah joined in the conservation.

Calvin stared at Noah, shouting, “ And who are you? This is not your business!” Calvin went back to patting Daisy’s hand.

“ Or so it says.” Noah put on the recording on his phone.

“Oh my god! This room is so pretty! - I know, right? My stupid girlfriend did all the work, for us. - Are you sure that she is not gonna find out? - Don’t worry, my butterfly. She is not gonna find out, but if she does then just a few explanations and everything will go back to normal. I found a girlfriend who is working hard, earn money for me, and who when I say North she’ll go north, or when I said south she will go south - *chuckle* Oh right. - Are you sure about your boss? - He is in a game with clients so don’t worry.”

The recording stopped, Daisy sank to her knees. A hand found her, pulling her up. It was Noah. 

The young woman gathered her clothes and belongings and sneaked out of the room.

“ Get out of here, jerk!” Calvin charged toward Noah, who quickly moved himself just in time. “ Get out of my room.”

“ No! This is not your room!” Daisy wiped her tears away. “ This is my room because I was the one who paid. You are the one who should get out.” 

Calvin went back to Daisy, took her arm, “ Daisy, I can explain. It’s not…”

Calvin didn’t have a chance to finish his sentence when Daisy slapped him, hard. 

Daisy looked down at her hand, unbelieve of what she had done. Calvin desired it, and yet she still felt guilty. “ Get out!” She said with all the energy she had left. 

Calvin nodded and nodded and he took his clothes and stode out through the door leaving Daisy there crying. 

An arm patted her back, “ It’s over. Daisy, go start a new life. And remember, to live for yourself.”

He patted her one more time and walked toward the door. Noah turned around, waved, and exited.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Feb. 17 2022 at 3:46 pm
Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

This is really good!