The Occult | Teen Ink

The Occult

July 23, 2018
By Nid.Lilly SILVER, Olympia, Washington
More by this author
Nid.Lilly SILVER, Olympia, Washington
9 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are who you are, not who others say or think you are."


Author's note:

Chapters 1 and 2! (More to come)

Kaiti held the vial of liquid Kari blood up to the light, admiring it’s garnet shade, the way it reflected light like a ruby. She turned it from side to side, inspecting it for any flaws or misharvestion. If that idiot of a Collector did a single thing wrong, everything would be ruined. The entire batch of the inconceivably rare sap would have to be dumped, because of one, single, stupid mistake. She really hoped she didn’t have to go back for more. It was a tricky business, and you could be exiled or jailed for it. Not that anyone would dare jail her, of course, but there was no reason to risk it. Besides, she’d have to do the messy job herself. No way she’d trust the Collector after that.

         

“What are you doing?”

   

Kaiti whipped around, her long black braid flying to come back and hit her face, nearly knocking down the figure behind her. Her mind wandering, Kaiti hadn’t sensed the figure approaching her. She sighed in relief, realizing it was only her best friend - one of the few people that could still startle her these days. It was still a fairly rare occurrence though, even for the person that knew Kaiti best. It’d been so long since Kaiti had seen anyone, not just Laila, she must not have been very attuned to her presence. Or anyone’s, for that matter.


“What are you doing here, Laila?” she whispered. “You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

   

Laila smiled smugly, then allowed her face to relax from the tension of holding a human countenance. Her previously hidden fangs slid into place, and her eyes slanted upwards and became slitted. She sighed in release. Laila’s preferred term for her vampirish self was her “natural” self, though there was nothing natural about it. It was just easier for her to be in that form.

         

“Watching out for you. You’re always up to something,” Laila responded.


Kaiti shook her head and turned back to the light. “As if you aren’t,” she muttered, all of the mischievous adventures they’d had since they were children coming to mind.

         

She swirled the sap in the vial. “I’m trying to remember how use Kari tree blood as a substitute to pure Draekon blood to form the Remedy, since Draekons are virtually the rarest thing in all of the Arcayne Realms. You already know why. He’s allergic to Draekon blood.”

   

The Healer’s Remedy was a thick, viscous solution that could cure virtually anything. The ingredients are impossibly scarce, and the way you harvested them, the exact second you do it, could mean life or death for the person ingesting the Remedy. There was maybe three usable Kari trees for blood, and two Collectors in the entirety of the Arcayne Realms.

   

They were interrupted by a new voice from the shadows.


“What do we have here? A few ladies, hiding in the walls?”

         

Startled, Kaiti swung around again, fumbling with the vial of precious sap, then holding it tightly to her chest. Laila’s fangs slid back in, her eyes shifting back downwards to appear humanlike.

          

“Who are you?” Kaiti asked. Only a select few individuals knew the location of her makeshift lab - she could count them on one hand, and this stranger was definitely not one of them. She would know. “How did you get here? You shouldn’t know of this place.”


The newcomer’s lips curved upwards. He had a beautifully sculpted face, one he clearly flaunted with pride. She curled her lip. Those kinds of people were usually only trouble. She’d had personal experience.


Laila’s fangs suddenly slid out again. Kaiti looked at her in shock. Laila never morphed around people she didn’t know. Something must be seriously off, or she would never do that.


“Kaenayn!” She hissed.


Kaiti suddenly understood Laila’s change in mood. Fangers, as Kaiti liked to call them, - to annoy Laila, of course - despised all Occult not of their nature. Kaiti and Laila’s friendship was an exception, of course, but that was formed out of need. Neither of them asked for the other. It was either get along, or die. The events of that year forged an irreversible bond, and the two had stuck together ever since.


The newcomer chuckled. “Could tell that, could you? Vampire, no?”


Kaiti frowned. While she may be a Myndr, she was also a Kaet. The Kaet did not get along with the Kaenayn. Things usually spiraled downwards when two were in the same room. Unless, of course, they were Fyrecaene and Heartstock. Kaiti sincerely hoped that this halfwit was not a Heartstock.


The man immediately looked towards her after the small move. Right. A Kaenayn’s incredible eyesight, whether they’ve morphed or not. How the hell was she supposed to ferret him out of her lab?


“A vampire, and a Kaet. How wonderful.” He glanced at writing on his hand, the mumbled to himself. “Wait, who am I supposed to report things like this to again, oh yeah, my Dragonaie mentor.” He looked up, then spoke in a louder tone. “More trouble for the Dragonaie to take care of.”


Kaiti smiled internally. “If he says one more thing, I’m gonna start cracking up,” She whispered to Laila. Then, speaking to the newcomer, “That’s funny. I’m one of the Dragonaie. You, on the other hand, are clearly a new recruit. Must be from the Nocsae branch. Only they would be stupid enough to send a newbie on a mission.”


For some reason, the greatest insult to one of the Dragonaie was to claim they are from a branch other than their own, whether they were fresh recruits or worn veterans. They are incredibly competitive, after all. Kaiti liked to tell herself that she was not part of the group of those that took immense offense, not that it was true. Of course, the newcomer obviously wasn’t from the Nocsae branch. Very few could get across the Rift. Unbeknownst to many, Kaiti was one of those few.


She also mused at who he was. The Dragonaie didn’t often take on new recruits. Most members were from long families in the Dragonaie, though, you obviously had to be able to bond. New recruits were virtually unheard of. As soon as you showed signs of being eligible, which was around 5 or 6 (but 3 for Kaiti), you were trained. One of the earliest memories Kaiti had was with her own mentor, on the Dragonaie training grounds, with her sword in one hand and a knife in another, with a bow and quiver slung over her shoulder, and her weapons belt wrapped around her waist.


There are 4 main branches of the Dragonaie: The Kaezon, and the Krypters on one side of the Rift, the Nocsae and the Niffervast on the other.


The newcomer flushed. “I’m not on a mission. I was to find my mentor. Besides, the Nocsae branch is on the other side of the Rift, isn’t it? Virtually no one can get across it. I’m part of the Kaezon.”


At the last sentence, Kaiti scowled. Beautiful. He was her charge. It doesn’t help that he was older - probably not by much more than a couple of years, mind you - than her, not to mention the fact that he was male, and he was just gorgeous. If her luck held out, he’d be a Heartstock. Gah. Beautiful men.


“So you’re the new recruit. I guess we have to bring you along.”


“Bring me along? No way. I have to find my mentor first. Besides, where would you ta—forgive my manners, I’m Jason.”


Neither Kaiti or Laila made a move to take his outstretched hand..


Jason sheepishly withdrew it. “Rude. Refusing to—”


Laila cut him off. “If you’re going to say something egotistical, then quit talking.”


Jason hastily closed his mouth. Kaiti cracked a smile, relaxing slightly. Maybe he wouldn’t be so bad.


“I just might like you,” she said, voicing her feelings. She turned back around, pouring the Kari sap into a small, clear, transportable glass jar. Incredibly aware of Jason looking over her shoulder, she added a few other ingredients; a small spoon of Avaein extract, a drop of Siryn tear, a dash of powdered Acataea.


Jason frowned, brows furrowed. “Aren’t Aactaea and Avaein poisonous?”


That was a fact that very few people know. Another was actually being able to recognize Aactaea, the bark of the Jemmin tree, and Avaein, a foliage plant that grew in the Black Forest. Kaiti was actually moderately impressed. And since she didn’t like being impressed, she ignored him.


Jason’s eyes narrowed. What happened next was not what Kaiti expected.


‘I don’t appreciate being ignored.’


Kaiti did a double take. “You’re a Myndr?” Myndrs weren’t rather rare, but Kaiti had yet to meet one that could project into her mind. Other than her father, who was useless as a father, of course. No one, but - again - her father, could comm to her without her permission. Probably connected to the fact that she was the Heir and her father was an all-important/powerful imbecile that she didn’t care even a smidge about, refused to talk about, and still made her cry on the few days where she was feeling slightly more weak.


Considering Jason was her Apprentice, she supposed she should give him her permission. So she did.


Jason nodded in response to her earlier question. “I wasn’t sure that would work. You’re the first person who I couldn’t directly comm to. But seriously, aren’t they poisonous?”


Laila slipped back into the conversation. “Poison kills poison. Actaea and Avaein make a powerful neutralizer.” One virtually no one in all of the Arcayne Realms knows. Including herself, Kaiti knew four - well, now five.


Jason frowned. “My father was on the Council of Healers, but he’s never done anything like that…”


Kaiti bit her lip, suddenly worried she’d said too much. “Not too many know of it. Who’s your father?” If he was anyone important, Jason and his father could be powerful allies, but if he was one of the council members Kaiti liked to call Degraders, then there was a fairly large chance that she had just messed up a lot of things. Kaiti would just hope it wasn’t one of them. Or Sallem. Now that would be annoying.


Jason looked around as if there might be someone nearby to overhear, then decided not to risk it.


‘He was Sallem Heartstock.’


Kaiti’s first thought was, Called it! Her second thought was, What do the heavens have against me? Her third thought is not appropriate for the ears of many people.


As that was going through her mind, her eyes widened in shock. “You’re Jason Heartstock? From one of the most prestigious lines of DraegonTaemirs?”


Jason looked away. She backed up, knowing what was about to happen. No, no, no, no, NO!


All of a sudden, a bright flash and a sound like thunder fragmenting into multitudinous pieces rocked the building they were in. Kaiti and Jason both blinked. For a moment, they had slitted eyes—one dark sapphire and one emerald each, like their respective dragons.


“Shoot. I was really hoping that wouldn’t happen here. Just my luck.”


Jason just stared at Kaiti. “Kaitilynn Fyrecaene. Hero of the Callaein War, Heir to the lineage of the DraegonTaemirs, best mentor and fighter of the Kaezon branch of the Dragonaie. Wait, you’re my mentor!”


Laila looked from one to the other. “What in the name of the great Krystael just happened?” she said.


Jason and Kaiti glanced at each other.


“There’s a connection between those of the Fyrecaene line and those of the Heartstock line. No one knows where it came from. No one knows what those bonded can do, exactly. The pairs have always kept it secret, and it seems different for each generation.” Kaiti and Jason looked at each other in annoyance.


“If we’re going to talk at the same time and say the same thing for eternity, I just might kill myself,” Kaiti grumbled. Jason smirked.


Suddenly, the trio could hear human footsteps just outside the concealed room, most likely brought by the commotion. Any doubts that Jason could have had about Kaiti being a DraegonTaemir was would’ve been dispelled with the choice words that streamed out of her mouth. She whipped around, gathering all her supplies into a slingsack. Kaiti did her best to silently screw the jar shut, then carefully wrapped it in cloth padding before nestling it within the sack as well. Pulling the slingsack’s straps over her shoulders, she motioned for them to follow her, and crept through a small hole in the wall that, by the look on his face, Jason clearly hadn’t noticed.


“Why the hell did they tell you to come here?” She whispered.


Laila melted into the shadows. Jason shook his head, amazed. Somebody clearly had few experiences with vampires, no matter how good his sense of smell was.


Kaiti looked back. “Perks of being a vampire,” she remarked. “But I have tricks, too.”


As she was speaking, the shadows of the tunnel shrouded the pair, encircling and concealing them from view. Jason gaped in shock.


Kaiti let out a bell-like laugh, something that didn’t match her hard nature. She didn’t laugh often, but when she did, people have said it transformed her, made her actually seem her age of seventeen. “I have powerful friends,” she said. And also powerful enemies, she thought.


After all, there were people that hated her due to her role in the Callaein War, the fact that she was female, and the fact that she was a DraegonTaemir. The trio scrambled through the tunnels, taking turn after turn, though they took their time. Kaiti was confident that she’d thrown off their tail.


Laila noticed the fact that the stone walls were getting easier to see, and voiced her observation.


“We’re nearing the end of the tunnel.”

The small group emerged from the tunnel, Laila finally coming into view. Squinting from the sunlight, they looked towards a nearby forest that Jason immediately recognized as Whitewood.


Whitewood is, like its name implies, a white forest. The trees’ bark is a shade of pure white, and covered in an irremovable fuzz, which made it high in demand until decline of trees caused the Queen to decide to stop trade of it. Within a day, the trees grew back to the size of the original forest, much to the shock of everyone. Soon,  

Jason looked at it in shock. “Tha—That’s Whitewood! How—How did we get here? It’s practically on the other side of Kortail from the Cavern House!”


“These tunnels go a long way,” Kaiti said. “Time passes quite a bit faster in them. Literally.”

Jason shook his head. That’s black magic, he thought.

Kaiti and Laila took off at a run. Jason, still half blind from the sun’s brightness, followed behind, sprinting to catch up.


When they reached the forest, the ladies immediately disappeared into the foliage. Jason stopped in his tracks and looked around, trying to find them. He thought it funny, how Whitewood was really quite dark.


A bat flitted out of a tree. Jason stared at it. He’d never seen a bat with horns and leaf patterned wings.


“Morph!” It hissed.


Recognition dawned over Jason’s face.


“Laila? Is that you?”


“Yes! Now morph!”


Jason morphed, becoming more wolflike. He grew bulkier, blue-black fur sprouting all over his body. His claws slid out, his ears pointed, and his eyes shifted, slitted. He hadn’t morphed in so long. He’d forgotten how great it felt. How much more powerful he was.


He stretched, then followed Laila, until he saw a black, blue, and white TygerKaet. His eyes widened in shock.


“You’re really a TygerKaet? Most people don’t even see one in their life, because they are so rare.”


“Well, then I guess you’re lucky. You get to see one every day for the next few hundred years.”


She then turned and walked off into the forest, Laila following close behind.


Jason dashed after the pair. It seemed like he was always rushing to keep up. When he finally joined them, Kaiti was sitting on a rock, her legs dangling over the edge, with Laila perched on her shoulder, and they were both glaring at him.


“Why are Kaenayns so slow?” Laila muttered to herself.


They set off through the woods, Kaiti following a path that was apparent to none else.


“Where are we going? How do you know where to go?” Jason inquired.


“I know these woods well enough,” was her short answer.


Before long, they reached the center of Whitewood. Jason confirmed his doubt that there was a large clearing at the heart of all the Painted Woods. Kaiti stopped abruptly, morphed back into human form, and looked around. Her eyes started to glow. The trio heard a rumble, and then a roar. Soon enough, a huge, royal blue draegon swooped into the clearing, her scales shimmering like individual sapphires. Kaiti stroked the draegon’s nose. Jason looked at the two.


He carefully approached the two. Draegons were volatile creatures. You never knew what was going to happen. He had personal experience. Very violent experience.


Kaiti frowned. “I don’t think she can carry more than one person. She’s still young.”


Jason smiled. “That’s a problem that can be fixed, isn’t it?”


He called Revan, his own draegon. He knew Revan was most likely annoying his wild siblings that lived on Mount Krystael, which happened to be fairly nearby, for a dragon. It took a minute, but Revan glided down into the clearing, emerald scales glittering, clearly tired from flying at supersonic speeds, and settled beside them.


“Hello Revan,” Jason whispered.


“Revan is your draegon?” Kaiti asked incredulously.


Revan and Kaiti’s draegon greeted each other like old friends.


Jason nodded. “And that’s Sarina. Isn’t she like, the most famous dragon ever? After the Callaein War?”


Kaiti smiled, and gracefully pulled herself onto Sarina’s back. Jason watched with a bit of envy. He’d always had a bit of trouble mounting Revan, but then again, he also suspected Revan did everything he could to make it hard for him. He clambered up, just as Laila settled into a hollow between Sarina’s spikes.


They took off into the air, the draegons’ wings flapping powerfully. Sarina, excited to be in the air again, did a loop. Laila, startled, fell off, doing a comical sequence to regain her seat, while Kaiti expertly held on with her legs.

_ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _


    The five of them soared through the air. Kaiti loved the feel of the wind on her face, Sarina’s muscles working powerfully under her. Once upon a time, Sarina’s scales would have scratched the skin off the inside of her legs, but now, whenever she was near, the scales where she was sitting melded together into a rubbery, smooth layer, acting like a saddle.


    She looked over at Jason, hearing him bellow over the wind.


“What?” She shouted.


This time, she heard him. “Where are we going?”


“Revan knows. Don’t worry about it.” was her short reply. The look on Jason’s face was priceless as he huffed and turned back in his seat to face forward.


She heard him mutter in the wind,. “I have no idea how someone can shut me up so easily. That’s a new feeling.” That made her smile.


A few minutes later, when she looked back, he was asleep.


Just as they were landing, Jason cursed in protest, clearly jarred awake.


“Why,” He groaned, “Just why?”


They slid of the draegons’ backs, Jason still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Well, really, Kaiti and Jason slid of the draegons while Laila flew off, shifted in midair, did a flip, and landed on her feet.


“Why did we stop? Are we here?” Jason asked groggily.


Laila strode ahead while Kaiti fell back. “We’re making a quick pit stop. Wake up, be careful, and stay close. This place isn’t very trustworthy. Laila and I won’t come to harm. We have a reputation for worse trouble here. But we don’t know about you.” Her eyes flitted around suspiciously.


Jason made a clearly frightened sound of agreement, that made Kaiti smile.


“Man up,” She said. “Nothing should happen.”


“Like that makes me feel any better,” Jason muttered under his breath as they caught up to Laila, who had paused, uncertain of where to go.


Kaiti glanced around, confirming where they were, before darting into a small side alley. It wound around buildings, as well as the city square. It emerged in front of an old stone building that looked fairly recent, though it was really built centuries ago. Kaiti gazed at it wistfully, remembering it from when she lived here with her parents, before the chain of catastrophic events that had led to her parents throwing her out of the house, and then them having to be relocated during the war. She hadn’t seen them since.


It towered over them, four stories high. Kaiti climbed up the stairs and rapped on the door, seven times, hoping it still considered her as one of its masters.


Sure enough, the door swung open to reveal the enormous bejeweled hall, that she heard Jason swear was at least two stories high.


“Your right,” She said in response. “It is two stories high.”


Kaiti and Laila crossed the hall, with Jason lagging behind, staring up in awe at the riches.


“What is this place?” He asked.


Kaiti smiled sadly. “My childhood home.”

_ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _


They entered the weapons room. Father had always liked keeping this room pretty, Kaiti thought.


She headed straight across the room, where there was and array of swords, knives, and daggers. Kaiti picked up a belt, already waylaid with a sword, twin throwing knives, a sax knife, and a dagger, all the same color as Sarina’s scales.


“A rider’s weapons. Elf-made. Are they yours?” Jason queried.


Kaiti sent him a look that said, think, idiot. “Those are yours,” she said, gesturing at an almost identical belt, but emerald green. “The Dragonaie gave me your build and your draegon’s color. I was going to give it to you when we met at the KFac.”


Jason was confused. “KFac?”


Laila looked at him incredulously. “The Kaezon Facility? The KFac?”


“Oh. Are the weapons really mine?” Jason picked up the belt reverently, staring at it in wonder.


“Yours,” Kaiti confirmed from across the room. She smiled at how much he seemed like a child receiving a present.


Jason strapped the belt around his waist, mimicking her, before walking over.


Kaiti surveyed her father’s collection of bows. She knew her’s would be here somewhere. He wouldn’t dare touch it.


She finally saw it. It was by far one of the most powerful bows in the lot. A longbow, with mahogany limbs and an ivory plated grip, and a draw weight of at least 120 pounds. She didn’t know exactly, it’d been so long.


Kaiti slipped it into an oiled leather case, swinging over her shoulder along with one of her self-replenishing quivers. She looked over at Jason, who had clearly decided he was better off without a bow.


“You’d better pick one,” Kaiti said to him. “Bows are one of our strongest assets.”


He grudgingly grabbed her father’s bow.


“Good choice,” She said. “That was my father’s. 120 pound draw weight, Ash limbs, Jade plated grip. You two have about the same frame.”


Jason brushed off the compliment. “Where to next?”


She smiled devilishly. “Now? The Rift.” She watched his face carefully for a reaction.


Jason blanched. “The Rift? But isn’t the Rift,... dangerous? Why would you risk going there? That isn’t the best of ideas.”


Kaiti’s smile only became more wicked. “The Rift is my home turf. If you know your way around, there isn’t any danger.… Usually.”

_ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _


    The three of them left the mansion and started the walk back to the dragons, Kaiti in the lead. As they walked, Jason could see eyes shining in the shadows of alleyways branching off of theirs. He shuddered and turned back to the road. Kaiti glanced around, then hurried forward.


    Eventually, they reached a small, dark doorway.


    “Ok, I’m pretty sure there is pure blackness swirling in there.”


    “There is.”


    Kaiti and Laila walked towards the door. Jason hung back.


    “I refuse to go in there.”


“Yo, are you a Dragonaie or not? Get over here. It won’t kill you.”


“But-”


“Now.”


“But-”


“I’m your mentor. You gotta listen to me. No chickening out allowed. Now get over here.”


“But-”


“Jason!”


Jason sighed and creeped over to stand by the ladies. Each of them took a deep breath and walked into the awaiting darkness.

_ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _

Kaiti reached out a hand and yanked the door open. The three of them were instantly sucked into the passageway.


Jason swished his arms around. “Woah! This stuff feels like, I dunno, cotton!”


Kaiti glanced at him. Or, more accurately, glanced in the direction his voice was coming from. “Wait until you mess up a incantation and it suffocates you.”


If anyone could have seen Jason at that moment, they would have seen him go from pale to white.


“So let me get this straight. You’re the only one keeping us from dying?”


“Basically.”


Jason’s voice was rising higher.


“You are the only thing keeping us alive?”


“Jason relax. I’ve done this so many times, with at least ten people, I could do it in my sleep.”


Laila nudged her. “You have done this in your sleep. Remember that time you were knocked out and your mother needed to get through to see-”


“Yes I remember. Now shh.”


The fact that they were walking through a hallway full of darkness suddenly seemed to only just register with Jason.


“Wait a minute. This isn’t the Rift!”


“Nope. Pit stop. I want you to meet someone.


All of a sudden, bright light hit them all.


“I didn’t see this on our way here.” Jason said, gazing around at the sunlit clearing.


“Of course you didn’t,” Kaiti replied. “You were asleep.”


“It’s not like he’d be able to see it anyway,” Laila remarked. “Not until he’d actually met Stilver.”


The walked across the grass towards a hut right in the middle of the clearing. Kaiti took in the landscape for what seemed like the hundredth time. The almost-too-green grass, the near-perfect rose bushes that seemed to bloom year-round, the beautiful, sweeping chestnut trees that should be extinct, and more recent, the petrified stone of the last Queen’s Draegon. Farsiella’s curled tail, long neck, and narrow head was admired by all draegons and humans alike. Until the War killed her. Most draegons petrify when they die, and stay there, but Farsiella’s last wish was to stay in this clearing, and so here she was.


At the door of the hut, Kaiti knocked five times - rap rap pause, rap rap rap. The three of them heard footsteps rushing towards the door, which then opened to reveal a middle-aged woman in a fluffy sweater.


“Kaiti!” She cried out in a shrill voice, enveloping the younger woman in a hug.


“Hi Friya,” Kaiti said with much affection.


Friya backed up, then spotted Kaiti’s companions.


“Laila! It’s so nice to see you again, dear. And who is this, Kaiti? Your boyfriend?”


At the same time, Kaiti and Jason very loudly vocalized their objection to that.


“This is Jason Heartstock. He’s my apprentice Dragonaie, and the Taemir of Revan.”


“Well met, Jason. Sallem’s son, are you?”


“Yeah.”


Friya suddenly realized that Kaiti, Laila, and Jason were still outside.


“Oh! Forgive my manners. Come in, all of you come in!”


They followed Friya into the house. She led them to a not too large, homely sitting room. On the couch was a young man, perhaps a few years older than Jason. He looked very much like Kaiti, with the same caramel brown skin and black, almond shaped eyes, but with silver hair instead of black.


He looked up when they came in, and his eyes lit up with joy. Kaiti dashed across the room into his waiting arms, and they hugged like close siblings who had been separated for a long time. Which they were.


“Why are you here, Kaiti?” The man asked.


“Kaiti looked up at him. “I came to see you. And to introduce you to a friend. Laila you obviously already know, but I don’t think you’ve met Jason.”


Jason raised a hand and waved hello.


“A Heartstock, I see. Are you two Connected?”


Kaiti wrinkled her nose in disgust. “Unfortunately. Jason, meet my older brother, Stilver. And before you ask about the name, look at his hair, assume, and know that you’re right.”


Stilver chuckled. “You have an interesting way of explaining my name.”


“Deal with it.”


Jason tentatively raised a question. “Stilver, why are you here? Why don’t you live in the outside world?” Because clearly, this was his home, and he didn’t leave.


Kaiti flinched.


Stilver sighed and stared up into a corner. “I’m an Owling.”


Jason’s eyes widened. Owlings were rarer than TygerKaets. They knew the truth. Some just knew, others heard it, others saw it. They weren’t like Eaglings, who could see the webs of the future, how one choice could lead to another, and another, and so on. If you asked them a question, of something that wasn’t in the future, they would have an answer. Because of this, they were incredibly sought after, so many of them hid. Some of the really powerful ones could, in fact, see the future in glimpses.


Now that he knew, Jason could see the telltale glint of the Owling insignia in Stilver’s eyes. Insignias were very hard to notice, unless you knew to look for one.


Stilver clapped his hands in an effort to dispel the serious mood. “Anyway. Why are you really here, Kaiti? You’ve never come to just introduce someone before.”


Kaiti sucked in a breath. “Sometimes I wish you didn’t know me so well. Then I could just ignore the problem.”


“Side effect of siblings.”


“Yeah, well.” She sighed. “It’s the Queen. What happened to her?”


“The Queen? Isn’t she in Capital City?”


“Nope.”


Stilver spoke, and his words got faster and faster.


“I… I don’t know. Why don’t I know? I should know. I know how the King died. I know what happened to you that night in the tower. I know what they did that day on the roof. But I don’t know where the Queen is. I don’t know what happened to her. Ohmygod I think I’m going to choke. Idon’tknowIdon’tknowIdon’tknowIdon’tknowIdo-”


“STILVER! Calm down! You’ll be fine. Now we know were up against someone who can somehow shield the truth from an Owling. We just have to work around it.”


Stilver’s fast rapid breaths gradually slowed down with Kaiti’s words and her reassuring arm around his shoulder. He took a deep breath, calm again.


“Ok, ok, I’m good. I’ve just never come across something that I don’t know before. Not like that. I don’t know what Kaiti’s thinking, but I never have, so that’s ok. I don’t know what will happen to you during lunch tomorrow, but that’s the future. I know the people that were about to discover you in the Cavern House. This is so weird.”


Jason suddenly realized something. “Wait, the Queen? Isn’t she your mother?”


“Yes. So?”


“Why do you call her the Queen?”


“‘Cause she’s a terrible mum.”


“Oh.”


“A good queen, but a terrible mum.”


“One more thing - Stilver, you’re older than Kaiti. Why aren’t you the Heir?”


“She’s Dragonaie. I’m not.”


“Oh.”


“Good job missing the obvious, Genius.”


Kaiti smiled and shook her head. She then stood up. “All right then. We’ll be off.”


Friya stood up as well. “Already? But you just got here!”

“Friya, we must go. Stilver, is there any chance you might tag along?”


“Finally something I know. Sorry, I can’t. I would just mess things up. What I can do is give you one half of the Mirror.”


He reached over to the bookshelf on the wall and pulled out a book-sized slab of obsidian, handing it over to Kaiti. She drew her finger, now glowing, across a fissure mark in the side of the stone, which promptly split in half. Stilver took back one of the halves, and Kaiti tucked the other into a pouch in her belt. She then glanced at Laila and Jason, who also stood up. The three of them walked to the door, Stilver and Friya following behind.


Jason reached out and tugged on the doorknob, but to no avail. Friya reached out, intending to help, but Kaiti raised an hand.


“Let him do it by himself.”


Jason tugged and twisted, pushed and pulled, but the door didn’t budge. He glanced up, his impossibly green eyes asking for help.


“You know what do do,” Kaiti says. “You just need to think.”


Jason looked at the doorknob, and took a step back, staring at it. His mouth formed an o of understanding, and then he asked the door politely if it would open. The door swung open, smacking Jason in the face as it did so. He stumbled back, glaring at the two siblings who were laughing hysterically at the accident.


“The door didn’t know you yet. It would have warned you to step back, but it clearly didn’t like being yanked on.” Kaiti said through peals of laughter.


Jason sighed and rubbed his face where the door had hit him. “I don’t think anything’s broken.”


Laila shook her head and walked out the door.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.