Helix | Teen Ink

Helix

November 28, 2018
By Petedawg BRONZE, Howard Lake, Minnesota
More by this author
Petedawg BRONZE, Howard Lake, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I would rather die on my feet than live kneeling.


Author's note:

I like it because its different from the other pieces since I usually write in the past not the future. 

Helio IV

Volxia Helix System

Year 2347

Walking into the pub I inhaled and smelled a mixed aroma of alcohol and puke, it wasn't very busy but packed enough where no one would notice me without staring at me. I weaved between the tables up to the counter and asked for a bottle of Vostok, one of the more expensive kinds of drinks in the Nebula. I poured glass after glass, each one burning my throat on the way down it and it felt good, after my seventh shot I noticed a man talking to a large group of people. I set down the glass and moved closer to hear what he was talking about.

“- as we were making our way through the Nebula we watched every which direction we could but without our sensor, we were blind as Daubenton and all we could do was hope we make it through without seeing him.” Everyone began to murmur some just questioned if he was drunk.

“Are you talking about Helix?” I asked heads turned to me some with their jaws.

“Y….yes I am, why do you ask?” he asked still shocked I said his name.

“Convoy 247 protected by 3 destroyers and the battlecruiser Constellation?” I continued to ask.

“Yes that's the one, were you there? What ship were you stationed on?” he asked in amazement.

“I was on a transport when we were attacked,” I told him, he looked excited now.

“You can back up my story then can't you?” He pleaded with me, everyone still listening begged me to tell it.

“Well alright, I guess it's story time.” I grabbed a chair and sat down as someone went to get me a drink.

“Now you see everyone, Helix is one of the pirates you do want to meet out in the Nebula, he’s kind, fair, and some might even say charming.” everyone gave off a slight chuckle and some of the women blushed knowing it was true. “Another pirate you meet will probably jetson you into space for fun.” I could see nods of agreement.

“But this last attack of his now makes him the most wanted man in the United Federal Worlds.” Some gasps could be heard but most were not surprised by this. “Captain James Helix and his ship the Levithan are now wanted for a total one hundred thousand credits dead and one hundred and fifty thousand credits alive, now just think with that many tokens you could get off this rock they call a planet and go live somewhere nice.” Many cheered at the thought of getting off Helio IV and out of the nebula.

“Pardon me I'm getting distracted with my er- his fame.” chuckling a bit some look confused but I started telling my story before the could ask questions. “ We were about to enter the system, just only 2 parsecs away in the nebula and umm….who are you again?” I asked the man who was originally telling the story.

“Cesar” he replied

“Yes thank you, as I was saying Cesar was right our sensors aren't working because of the radiation waves inside it so were literally as blind as a Daubenton, nasty things tear apart ships from the inside out, sorry sidetracked again.” I could tell some were annoyed with me.

“The battlecruiser Constellation and 3 other destroyers from her armada were to escort our transports that were delivering supplies to this system when we came under attack by the Levithan.” Many eyes were wide as children's eyes would be if you would be telling them this story. “ I was just staring out one of the viewing decks when I saw a bright beam of a slice through one of the destroyer's engines from above leaving her drifting through space and unable to defend us.” Cesar in the background continued to nod as I told it, his eyes closed as he was reliving the moment. Immediately the alarms were going off and the crew was running to their posts, I made my to the command deck.

“Wait for a Gunners rear end minute! Why were you going to the command deck you don't look like a high ranking officer to me.” Cesar questioned me, some told him to shut up but others were curious too.

“I was part of the security team my post was to defend the bridge from boarders.” I replied moving my glass back and forth not making eye contact  “But anyway the transports started to make a run for it while the Constellation engaged the Leviathan, I could see it happening from where I was on the bridge.” The Leviathan was being outflanked by the remaining destroyers as it was facing the Constellation. But when she fired her main gun the Leviathan disappeared and the beam hit both of the destroyers. We didn't know where it went until 3 bright beams sliced through Constellation hitting her fuel reserves causing it to go up flames in space.” I paused to down another shot of Vostok, everyone was getting anxious for me to keep going. “Well, we knew that Helix would catch up to our slower transports so we prepared for boarding,” I explained to them. My transport shuddered as we took a hit to the engine room, the captain brought up a video feed of the room after failing to get a response from the chief engineer, there was a reason why there isn't one, there was no engine room left.

“Prepare for boarders!” the captain screamed into the intercom.

The Levithan pulled next to our ship and several tubs extended to our hull, on the video feed we could see that they were cutting through the ship, the crew there had a mix of weapons but nothing that compared to the pirates. They were swatted aside like Tachinids, all over we were losing, very few were spared as Helix’s men rushed to the bridge. They were outside the doors now but they waited, the captain and bridge crew were all aiming at the door. All of a sudden they were all shot in the back the bodies crumpling to the ground, there was a knock on the door.

“Captain? You still alive in there?” A somewhat muffled voice asked.

“Woah Woah Woah wait for a second!” Cesar yelled out. “If everyone on the bridge was killed how are you still alive?” He questioned already knew the answer to.

I smiled and said, “I am Captain James Helix of the Levithan, and beware of the Helix Nebula.” I sprinted towards a nearby window as guns were drawn and people shouted, the glass shattered as I jumped through the window and landed on the ramp of a shuttle.

“How was your drink Captain?” Bellamy asked

“The burn felt good Bellamy.” I said as I put my coat on and buckled my holster, “Come, let us return to the Levithan.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.