Ordinary | Teen Ink

Ordinary

By DonutGirl229, Johnson City, Tennessee
DonutGirl229, Johnson City, Tennessee

Sometimes, I wonder what it’s like to be normal. To have someone who loves and cares about you. For someone to let your small, meek voice to be heard in a noisy, busy world. I've always thought that my abilities made me an outcast to everyone around me. At least, that's what my Aunt Shera says. To her, my powers are disgraceful, and she does an astonishing job of showing it.

“Stupid girl! No wonder your father didn’t want you in his house! You’re an ugly child!” she’d say.

School isn’t much better. People say all sorts of things to me.

“Freak!”

“Ugly!”

Of course, these aren’t all the things people call me. But there is one in particular that upsets me:

“I bet she doesn’t have a family!”

People who say that aren’t half wrong. My family doesn’t treat me like I’m a member, so it feels like I don’t have one. Why? I don’t know. All I know is that I’m a servant, nothing more, but certainly less.

I walked down the gravel street as the bus pulled away, engine exhaust trailing behind. I knocked on the pale, blue door. My eyes wandered around until they rested on the driveway.

Wait, why are there two cars?

The door opened, and I turned my head. Aunt Shera was there, with an extremely cross expression on her face. “Why are you here right now?” she asked.

“I was supposed to come home early. Didn’t you see the text I sent you earlier?”

Aunt Shera slapped me. Hard. I could still feel the stinging even as she was yelling at me. “DON’T YOU EVER SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT, UNDERSTAND?” she shrieked. “ I OUGHTA-”

“Mrs. Lanewood?”

Both me and Aunt Shera turned our attention to the voice. It was a girl with blond hair and multiple freckles on her milky white face. She was wearing a glittery, pink ribbon, which kept her hair in a neat ponytail. Her dress was a dark purple, with shimmery, silver dots on it. She had a confused expression glued on her face. Her hazelnut eyes turned to face me. She smiled at me. “Who is she?”

Aunt Shera cleared her throat and turned so that she faced the girl completely. “This is Lauren,” she responded as pleasantly as possible. “Lauren, this is Macy. She’s going to be living with us.”

I looked at the girl, and then back at my aunt. Aunt Shera shot me a dirty look, and I looked away. “Macy, will you give us a minute? You can wait for us in the loft.”

“Yes ma’am.” The girl walked up the stairs. Once she was out of earshot, I knew I was in trouble. Aunt Shera looked at me, her eyes glittering, and it was creeping me out.

“Get. Inside. Now.”

“But-”

“NOW.”

I went inside, and Aunt Shera slapped me 8 times, then yelled at me. It was the fiercest I’d ever seen her. “Go upstairs and take Macy to your room. She’s going to be your room mate.”

This book has 1 comment.

bowtoherroyalfrankyness, State College, Pennsylvania
Good story, i wish it was longer.