Prison of Darkness | Teen Ink

Prison of Darkness

May 24, 2019
By Abigale, Lexington, Kentucky
More by this author
Abigale, Lexington, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece was originally 2,500 words, but it quickly grew into something much bigger. It has sparked my creativity and allowed my love of learning to grow. 

Hundreds of footsteps cascaded onto the Temple stairs. Children of age thirteen, all with blank hair and eerily white eyes, started uneasily up the stairs, parents and loved ones following close behind. Clothing of each Element shrouded the children, showing all who were near exactly what they were.

One child in particular walked unsteadily on the stairs, clinging to her father’s large hand. Her dress was a dark ruby color that she held up with one shaky hand so she would not fall, and her hair was the same blank slate as all of the other children’s around her. But, unlike the others, her eyes were dark silver splotched with an unusually dark cerulean color.

“Sarina,” her father spoke, his voice gruff and slightly muffled by the other children’s voices. Sarina looked up at her father and met his steely eyes. His red hair fell close to his eyes, and signified his Element, Fire. Thinking about her father’s Element caused caterpillars to burst into butterflies inside Sarinas stomach. Today, she would find out her Element. Her purpose.

“Yes father?” she asked softly. Her father’s large hand released Sarina’s to ruffle her hair. A soft fondness bloomed in her chest like the buds of a cherry tree turning to pink blossoms in the springtime.

“Whatever happens, remember that I will always be with you,” he tapped her chest gently, right where her heart was. “In your heart,” then he tapped her forehead and smiled, “and in your mind.”

Sarina smiled back at her father. She felt her heart expand with warmth from her father’s kindness. She knew the words meant a lot for, after finding her Element, she may be forced to move away from her father and to one of the other contingents. Thinking of the other Elements forced her mind to wander with thoughts of being placed in another contingent. If she was of Fire, like her father, she could stay with him until she found a steady source of income or met someone to care for her. She could find a job as a healer for the wounded soldiers, or help poorer regions obtain warmth. She might also be drafted into the navy, forging a dangerous career that could end in her untimely demise.

If she was of Wind, Sarina knew that she would struggle more. Wind was known for being poor and jobless. Sarina shook her head and took another step, refusing to think about being stranded and hungry.

If she was of Water or Earth, Sarina would be immediately enlisted into the army. There would be struggles around every corner. She would learn to fight the most wicked foes and control her powers to a tee.

If she was born of Light, she would be worshipped. She would govern all Elements and could even become a Temple Priest. She could travel everywhere, or nowhere at all. People would bow down to her and praise her like she raised the suns in the sky. And maybe Children of Light did raise the suns into the sky; not much was known about them.

The entrance to the Temple was lavished with marble pillars taller than anything Sarina had ever seen. The pathways were laden with gold and diamond, glittering in the sun’s ethereal light. As Sarina began to walk inside, she suddenly felt very insignificant. She walked through large brass doors held open by Soldiers of Fire. Thousands of pews filled the open space, each assigned an Elemental color. Sarina’s father led her under a latticework of multicolored lights cascading through the tall stained glass windows lining the walls.

“Follow the others,” Sarina’s father instructed softly, nudging his daughter slightly. “Find your purpose,” he pulled his hand away from Sarina’s with reluctance, and then headed toward the sapphire pews meant for Fire.

Sarina followed the immeasurable line of other blank children, falling into place behind a boy about her height. They were taken to the pews closest to the front of the room. Footsteps echoed almost as loudly as the beating of Sarina’s heart. The pews forced Sarina to be jammed between a boy on her right side and a girl on her left. The only clues to their Element were the clothes they were wearing. Sarina believed the boy was of Wind and the girl of Fire.

“Ouch,” the girl said evenly. She turned to glare at Sarina, her eyes squinting slightly from the harsh sunlight beginning to filter into the room. Sarina murmured a soft apology and scooted closer to the boy of Wind on her right. The boy looked at them quizzically before scooting further down himself.

The girl of Fire scoffed and flicked her long, colorless hair over her shoulder with a single swipe of her hand. “I’m Anoris,” she said flatly. Sarina nodded slightly and held out her hand, the prospect of having a friend creating excitement.

“Sarina,” they shook hands and Anoris smiled softly, showing her brilliantly white teeth. The Wind boy next to Sarina shifted uncomfortably.

Sarina turned to face the boy when another child was squished into the pew. “Hello,” Sarina said to the boy. He looked at her strangely before murmuring a quiet “hello” in return. A few moments of uncomfortable silence passed by, before Sarina spoke again.

“Are you of Wind?” The boy tilted his head to the side, as if not understanding what she was asking.

“I suppose so,” he mumbled. “But that could change today, right?” He grinned goofily at her, and Sarina smiled softly.

“I suppose so,” she said, mimicking his earlier phrase. Sarina twiddled with a small piece of string she found on the ground as silence seeped into the air again.

“You must be of Fire, then,” he said confidently after a few moments. Sarina nodded again, and the boy beamed at her, murmuring a soft ‘I knew it’ under his breath.

Sarina turned to fully look him in the eyes, and her strange cerulean-grey eyes met his warm amber brown ones. So he was like her then. He was different, too.

Her entire life, Sarina had searched the eyes of others to try and find someone, anyone, like her. She had been alone for so long that she almost forgot what it felt like to have a friend.

Sarina opened her mouth to introduce herself, but the words died on her lips as the High Priest and Priestess waltzed onto the dais in the center of the Temple. The High Priest wore opulent white ropes interlaced with threads of gold and emerald. The High Priestess wore a similarly fashioned robe, only hers was coated in voluminous gemstones. Their eyes shown golden in the multicolored sunlight wafting through the stained glass windows. Their hair remained colorless though they had their Element, signifying their religious prosperity. When the High Priest spoke, his voice echoed through the room.

“Good Newlife to all,” the High Priest boomed. His voice was even and clam, and floated through the room with practiced ease.

“As you all know,” the High Priest continued, “Today these young children will receive their Element.” Applause rang through the room from proud parents and close friends. Sarina could almost see her father’s smile in the crowd, though the Water contingent was large.

“As most know, the process will be easy to commence. A child’s name will be randomly called and he or she will step toward the sacrificial fire.” The High Priestess stepped forward and lit a match. She strode with confidence toward the golden container holding the votive white wood. The match was tossed inside almost carelessly and the flame immediately roared to life. The crowd applauded again and Sarina watched the fire with bewilderment and awe.

“Amazing,” she heard Anoris say over the drowning applause. The girl was smiling brightly and clapping with enthusiasm. Sarina watched the fire flicker warily, suddenly uneased. The Wind boy next to Sarina watched the fire with similar perplexity, the fire making his eyes seem orange.

“The children will sacrifice their own blood to receive their Element. It will bind them to their new way of life, and condemn them to death if they disobey the Grand Law.” The applause immediately died down when the High Priest spoke. Light began to bend and displace itself around him, and the air crackled in an uncanny manner.

“And,” the High Priestess began to add. “The limit this year of children for each Element is two hundred forty-seven, the amount needed for the army and the navy. Do not be disappointed if you are to be sacrificed, for your death will appease the suns.” Her voice died down and the crowd began to chant the sacrificial mantra of the Suns.

Sarina whispered the mantra, fear clawing through her gut. The boy of Wind beside her remained silent and still, fear covering his features. At least the number wasn't like last year’s fifty-eight.

“You must understand, children,” he turned to address the pews where all of the children were, and it felt like his eyes bore into Sarina’s. “Your Element defines who you are. You must use it not for your own advantage, but for the advantage of others.” The High Priestess nodded in agreement, and the entire Temple fell silent.

“But, that’s nothing to be unhappy about,” the High Priestess chided. A sinister smile snaked across her lips, the sunlight floating through the room highlighted her face eerily. Her teeth glinted in the light, and her eyes narrowed sharply.

“Let the sacrifices begin.”


When it came to the discoveries of one’s Element, Sarina quickly learned to tell what each sign meant. The world around each child seemed to shift when the blood was dropped, each Element bringing a new surprise.

The children of Earth made the ground shake, almost like a miniature earthquake. The children of Water made it rain inside the Temple, much to the displeasure of all those inside. The children of Wind caused great winds to blow open the bronze doors and fill the room with sweet breezes. The children of Fire caused the flame to roar, and the room to heat up to an almost unbearable temperature.

Hours had passed by and all of the other Elements came in great amounts of children, but there had yet to be a child of Light.

Sarina sat on her pew, nerves eating holes into her stomach. Fire, Wind, and Water were already completely full of children, anyone else who received the Element would be sacrificed. Anoris and the boy of Wind remained with Sarina, both looking equally fearful.

Anoris was fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, a pained expression on her face. The boy of Wind next to Sarina watched the other children receive Elements with disgust and horror on his face.

“Atlas Candor,” the High Priest called out. The Priests had slowly begun to lose interest in the sacrifices, but they seemed to be faking joy.

The Wind boy who had sat beside Sarina looked up fearfully and started up the stairs. He shoved his hands into his pockets and walked uneasily over to the Priests.

The High Priestess took the boy’s hand and held it over the burning flame. Atlas’s hands shook slightly as a drop of ruby blood fell into the flaming cauldron. Long, ghastly silence fell over the room. Then, there was light.

Light flooded the halls at breakneck speed. Blinding light illuminated every crack and crevice. It shone brighter than anything Sarina had ever seen.

Then, as quickly as it came, the light was gone.

Anoris drew in a sharp breath. Sarina’s hands shook at her sides, her breathing was suddenly quick and labored. Atlas stared at his hands with a fear stricken face.

The High Priest smiled with devilish glee at Atlas. “You, young man, are a Child of Light,” Atlas looked up at the High Priest and held his hands close to his sides. He was led to the pews as the crowd applauded him, but something still seemed off. He was scared. Petrified.

An eternity of time passed, several more names were called. More unsuspecting children received Elements that brought them to their death. Sarina thought she would never be called, the nerves continued to eat away at her insides.

Then, “Sarina Hanover,” the High Priest called. The world around Sarina seemed to dim when she heard her name. She could hear her heartbeat, loud like her footsteps, echoing across the room.

She reached the dias of the Temple on unsteady legs. Her hands shook like mad, and it felt as though someone woke her from a good dream by dousing her in freezing water.

The High Priestess took Sarina’s right hand and quickly sliced the blade across Sarina’s palm. The blade hissed softly as it cut through skin, and Sarina’s entire hand stung with pain. Sarina winced as her hand was put above the roaring flame, and a single drop of vermilion blood floated into the fire.

The world was completely silent for three agonizingly long seconds. Then, the world went black.

Candles blew out with a gust of wind that had not been there before. Windows shattered completely and shards of precious glass attacked innocent, blinded bystanders. The world was only dark for five seconds, but it seemed like it lasted forever.

“Where’d Mama go?” Sarina was young, perhaps five or six. Her father looked up from his book to meet her eyes. He seemed surprised to see her, Sarina was supposed to be in bed. He welcomed her onto his lap anyway.

“Your mother?” Her father asked warily. Sarina nodded, and her father looked at her with sad, forlorn eyes.

“She had to leave,” her father tried to explain. He had given her this excuse before, but never told her why she left.

“Why?” Sarina asked for the hundredth time. Her father sighed and brushed a strand of Sarina’s hair from her eyes.

“Because she was different. They were going to kill her, so she had to leave,” Sarina frowned. This was farther than she had ever gotten when talking about her mother.

“How was she different?” Sarina asked. She played with the hem of her nightgown and stared into her father’s eyes.

Her father shook his head and picked her up. “Time for bed,” he said sternly as he carried her to her room.

Sarina could vaguely remember the sound of her mother’s voice. Her mother’s hair almost looked like woven gold, and her face was sweet with freckles. She loved to bake cakes, and, like Sarina, her mother loved to eat cakes, too. Sarina was three when her mother suddenly left, leaving her with her forlorn father.

Memories of her parents dancing in the afternoon sunshine filled Sarina’s senses. Memories of getting tucked into bed, being read stories, and going on adventures. Memories of baking, cleaning and reading.

Memories of the day her mother left. Memories of how sad her father became, and of how lonely the house seemed. Memories of missing cake, afternoon dances, and bedtime stories.

Light flooded the room again, and Sarina could finally see. The High Priestess was clutching the dagger like a lifeline. The High Priest was watching Sarina with horror, and maybe even a little bit of interest.

Sarina looked over to the crowd and found her father’s eyes. He looked terrified and sad at the same time.

Was this why her mother had left? Sarina stared at her palms, suddenly feeling lost and alone. Had her mother given her this Element? This abnormality? Sarina felt sick.

“Delilah,” the High Priest growled lowly, daring to use the High Priestesses real name. “What was that?”

The High Priestess scoffed and shook her head. She seemed amazed, and that only made Sarina feel worse. “Eric,” the High Priestess started, using the High Priest’s real name. “I’m a daughter of Light, not a child of Night.”

The High Priest sighed heavily and leveled Sarina with a hard look. Sarina shrunk away from his menacing glare. “What should we do with her?” The High Priest asked through gritted teeth, turning to face the High Priestess.

The High Priestess sighed heavily and spun the blade around in her hand. The High Priestess looked up and met Sarina’s unique eyes. The High Priestess shrugged and tapped the flat dagger blade on her pointer finger. Her facade of bravery slowly fell as she realized how unprepared they truly were for any abnormalities. This one girl could cause the collapse of their entire system, and they would have no way to stop her.

“Throw her into the dungeon,” the High Priestess told the guards. Sarina felt her stomach fall as she was dragged away. White hair slowly turning black fell into Sarina’s face, and Sarina realized that she had never felt more alone.


The dungeons were damp, dark, and dreary. Sarina sat in her cell alone, pulling her ripped ruby colored dress closer. She sat on the floor of her cell, pulling her knees up to her chest. She shivered against the cold, and listened intently to the sounds of celebration for the sacrifices to the suns that had begun further inside the Temple.

There were more prisoners in the other cages. Sarina knew they were probably common thieves or foolish men who tried to overthrow the monarch. The other prisoners shouted curses and profanity at the guards who stood diligently at their posts.

Time steadily ticked away, and Sarina waited for the worst. She would most likely be killed, she knew, but there was a small part of her that hoped for salvation. She still had so many questions, about both her newfound power and her runaway mother.

The suns began to set, and golden beams of light floated through the small window at the top of Sarina’s cage.

The prison was surprisingly quiet, the prisoners seemingly lost all hope.

The guards started to walk away, changing their shift.  

The golden beams of light seemed to become more apparent in Sarina’s cell. The light danced tranquilly, euphorically through the cell in swirls and other organic shapes.

Soft, light footsteps echoed through the room, and the light stopped.

Sarina squinted at the figures before her. She gasped as recognition hit her quickly.

“Dad! Atlas!” She cried out, leaping to her feet. Her father hushed her urgently, and created a small flame in the palm of his hand. He used the fire to break the lock as Atlas watched silently.

The door to the cell squealed loudly as it opened, and several of the other prisoners seemed to notice. The other prisoners screamed and yelled, pounded on walls and even their own cells, begging for freedom. Atlas watched them sadly as Sarina exited the cell.

“Father I’m so glad you’ve come,” Sarina spoke quietly and enveloped her father in a hug. His skin was warm like the fire inside of him, and Sarina vaguely wondered if she was as cold as the darkness inside of her own body. Her father hugged her back, but had to quickly pull away.

“Do you remember Atlas?” He whispered urgently. His hands remained on her shoulders, and Sarina looked deep into his eyes, searching for hidden answers.

Sarina nodded. “Yes, of course I remember him,” Sarina stated, answering her father’s question.

Her father nodded stiffly, and smiled softly at his only daughter. His only family left.

“Good,” her father nodded again. “Go with him. You both will journey into the woods, and find somewhere safe to stay.”

Atlas nodded and urged Sarina to move, but Sarina wouldn’t budge. “But- well, you are coming aren’t you father?” Sarina stumbled over her words, desperation dripping in her voice.

“Sarina, it’s my job to protect you,” her father began. Sarina’s eyes filled with tears, and footsteps began to echo down the halls. “Trust that I know best.”

Sarina nodded and turned to Atlas and they both ran toward the stairs. They took the stairs two at a time, Sarina almost slipping on the damp stone. They rushed down back hallways and tumbled out of the servant’s exit.

Relief flooded Sarina in a waterfall of emotion as they started down the Temple stairs, but the small feeling of safety disappeared as more footsteps followed after them. Atlas grabbed her arm and pulled her faster down the stairs, causing Sarina to almost fall again.

The air grew warmer around them, and the earth grumbled and shook. Sarina turned to look behind her, and saw the angry faces of guards following her down the polished marble steps. Sarina pushed herself faster, and breathed heavily as cold, jagged air filled her lungs.

Atlas jumped the last few steps and Sarina followed after him, miraculously landing on her feet. They pushed their way through the town square, shoving people aside left and right. Burning embers flew through the air like bullets. A woman screamed and a baby cried.

Sarina’s breath came out ragged and harsh, her heart hammered loudly in her chest, her feet screamed and her hands shook; she persisted nevertheless.

Trees grew closer and closer to them, towering like leafy giants over everything and everyone else. Dust swirled around in the air and flaming embers latched onto trees, causing them to erupt into burning flames.

Sarina’s dress caught fire, and she screamed. Atlas turned to her, startled, and paused only for a moment before pulling her along. Sarina frantically tried to put out the flame on her dress as she continued to run. She tripped over her own shoes and lost one on the run. Her dress was singed and her leg was burned slightly underneath. Atlas dragged them both through the trees and into the safety of the canopy, but didn’t stop running.

They finally paused for a moment after they had travelled well into the wood.

Sarina plopped down onto the soft underbrush on the ground, and Atlas followed quickly after. Sarina looked over at her friend- perhaps “friend” wasn’t the right word, they’d only really met today- and noticed something strange about his physique.

“Your hair,” Sarina mumbled, still gaining Atlas’ attention. “Why, your hair’s turned red, not golden.”

Atlas nodded slowly and buried his hands into the soft leaves on the ground. “Yes, it has,” he sighed softly and turned to fully face Sarina, his amber eyes glinting in the soft light drifting through the tree leaves.

“I suppose you deserve an explanation,” he started, speaking softly. “If I’m being completely honest with you, I’m not one hundred percent sure. Although, I have heard of abnormalities happening, and I deflected the fire from us as we ran as well as I controlled the light in your cell.”

Sarina was silent for a moment, taking in all of the information she had just gained. “Is that why you’re here with me?” She finally asked softly.

Atlas shrugged and pushed a stray strand of hair from his face. “I guess so,” he mumbled. “I think I was also tired of our society. Disgusted by our society.” He turned to face Sarina again, looking serious. “They kill innocent children, Sarina.” He took a deep breath. “Anoris, the girl sitting beside you, was killed. I couldn’t take anymore after that.”

Sarina nodded slowly and looked sorrowfully at her hands. The hands stained with dirt, grime, and an endless life on the run. “Thank you for helping me,” Sarina said softly. Atlas nodded and whispered a soft ‘you’re welcome.’


The woods were deep and filled to the brim with tall redwood trees. Sarina and Atlas walked for hours on end, searching for nothing in particular. They had stumbled upon wildlife of all sorts, and large caves, used as makeshift shelters.

Just as they thought they had escaped the guards chasing them, Sarina heard footsteps. The world grew cold almost instantly, and light seemed to disappear from the area.

Atlas looked up, frightened, and lit a small flame in his hand. Frost began to creep onto the ground, and two figures emerged from the woods.

One was a tall male figure with snowy white hair atop his head. He was young and seemed energetic, and there was a strange glint in his eye. The other figure was taller than the first and was a strong-looking female. The woman had strange multicolored hair tied in braids that fell over her shoulders.

“Who are you?” Atlas and the woman said at the same time. The woman narrowed her eyes and examined Sarina and Atlas from a distance. “Who are you?” The woman asked again, keeping completely calm.

“I’m Sarina and this is Atlas,” Sarina introduced Atlas and herself quietly. “We mean you no harm, we were simply passing through the woods.”

The woman narrowed her eyes even further, and examined Sarina’s pitch black hair. “You’re on the run,” the woman stated plainly. “You’re an abnormality, and the people ruling this world decided to throw you into jail.”

Sarina nodded dumbly, surprised by the woman’s knowledge. The male beside the woman smiled brightly. “Well then, you’re in luck!” He beamed brightly at them and the woman glared daggers at him. “We’re on the run, too,” he smirked at the woman, and it seemed as though a silent conversation passed between them.

The woman sighed heavily, and then held out her hand. “I’m Robin,” she stated plainly. “And this is Elias,” she gestured to the male beside her and firmly shook Sarina’s hand.

“It's nice to meet you,” Sarina murmured, feeling slightly nervous.

“We’d like to show you something,” Robin said softly as she released Sarina’s hand. Elias smiled brightly beside Robin, before strutting back into the large underbrush he came out of. Robin headed toward the underbrush after Elias, and beckoned for Sarina and Atlas to follow. After a moment of hesitation, Atlas and Sarina followed Robin into the shrubs.

After a few moments of blindly pushing through dense underbrush, the twigs and leaves disappeared to reveal a small camp in the middle of a clearing. White tents dotted the area and several other people walked around the camp-like area, casually chatting and doing regular, daily things.

“All the people here are refugees,” Robin spoke calmly and took long, quick strides towards the camp, Atlas and Sarina scrambling behind to keep up.

“You can stay here if you want, but this is only a temporary place.” Robin paused for a moment to wave at a young boy, but then continued. “Our goal is to leave this horrid place to somewhere safer. Somewhere better.”

Robin continued to walk, and Sarina soon realized where she was being led. The grass turned to dirt, and the dirt turned to pebbles. There were no trees in sight, and the air suddenly smelled salty. There was a small bay that led to bright blue water reaching out as far as the eye could see.

“There are tales of other lands out there,” Robin turned to face them, her braided hair whipping back behind her as the wind picked up. “There are stories of whole other worlds! Worlds where we can be free, and happy, and live.” Robin smiled brightly at them, and her eyes glinted in the sharp rays of sunshine that fell from a party clouded sky.

“We haven’t found anything yet, but we haven’t really had the chance to look. Tell me, Atlas, Sarina,” She looked Atlas in the eye for a moment, and then looked at Sarina. Robin’s pale blue eyes seemed to search Sarina’s soul.

“Do you want to help us find our home?” Robin finished her sentence and waited patiently for a response.

All her life, Sarina had dreamed of having a home. Sure her father provided warmth, shelter, and comfort, but never had Sarina really felt accepted. She was always different, and her mother leaving left a hole in her heart, and left her feeling truly and surely alone in the world. Well, until now, that is.

“Home?” Sarina asked quietly, testing the word on her tongue. Atlas remained quiet for a long time, before nodding slowly.

“I’ll stay,” Atlas confirmed quietly. Robin smiled brightly at him, and then turned to Sarina. The decision was easy.

“I’ll stay,” Sarina stated softly, and Robin smiled at her.

A wave softly crashed onto the shore behind them, and soft, slippery pebbles dug into Sarina’s bare feet.

Home. Sarina decided then that she liked that word.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.