Elements | Teen Ink

Elements

Author's note:

This is the first chapter of this piece.

The sky darkened and thunder clapped as the long-awaited rain finally fell in the streets of Brawn. The streets were empty as any reasonably minded people had locked themselves indoors. 

A lone figure holding nothing but a carefully wrapped blanket raced through the street. Seeing no pursuers behind her she stopped by a house to steady her breathing. Perhaps, she was going to be able to make it to Topern and could lead a new life with the baby in her hands. As the rain increased from a drizzle to a torrent again, the baby in her arms started wailing into the night. 

Her pursuers were on her the moment the ear-shattering shriek was heard. Thinking to run, she was abruptly stopped by the four pursuers coming from different directions, trapping her in. 

“Hand over the kid and you can walk out of tonight,” the leader amongst them said. Nola gulped, no doubt seeing the various knives on the leader's belt. 

The baby's wails brought her back to her senses. These men were going to use her child for their own purposes. No, she would not let her child be used for the war of the queen. Nola did not accept that future. She took a deep breath and hugged the baby warmly before handing it over to the leader. Arms outreached to take her, his smile widening ever so slightly as he finally held her in his arms. 

“Now kill the mother,” he commanded. Swords were out in an instant and they circled Nola. Nola’s own sword also out but she instead relied on that surging tide of magic coursing through her veins. She let out a scream as she let out two weeks of fear and anger. Water erupted from her fingers and flooded the street, washing away her baby and her pursuers. She willed the water to carry her baby far from the hands of the Queen of Xanton and to drown the four soldiers that had threatened her.

Her vision clouded as soldiers flew in from the sky. Magically trained soldiers. Soldiers from the Queen. Too much magic, she couldn’t control it anymore, she couldn’t hold the torrent of water for much longer but she could unleash one final blast of water that would send her baby far, far, away.

That moment never came as arrows rained down upon her some instantly finding their mark. Nola fell to the ground, blood dripping from wounds in her arms and legs, she wouldn’t be able to live through tonight. The water around her stilled and soldiers rushed up pointing their swords at her poised to strike. A regal figure from the back walked up, soldiers parting for her.

“I’m surprised that you were still able to use your magic after I poisoned your drink sister,” said Vorca. 

Nola could not raise her head in defiance as the well of magic inside of her had been depleted as quickly as those soldiers had drowned. She took a deep breath and readied to unleash one final blast of magic to wipe out everyone around her. Just as a sword stabbed down into her heart, Nola unleashed everything.

Water poured from her body, pulling down everyone around her as Nola succumbed to the darkness. 

The queen made it back to her chambers alone, water still dripping down her hair. It had been a total waste, she had not stopped her sister's ultimate plan. 

“Just wait, your precious darling isn’t safe yet,” promised the Queen, a wicked light gleaming in her gold eyes.