The Gift of Winter | Teen Ink

The Gift of Winter

By kbaxter324, Eagle, Idaho
kbaxter324, Eagle, Idaho

Author's note:

I hopefully will turn this into series!!! I love critism and would love your advice!!!

I hope you all enjoy. Again I love critism and any advice would be helpful!!!

Blood. 

The metallic smell stung my nose. My body was trapped in knives, and a heat enveloped me, making my skin burn. I am not here, I tried to persuade my mind. But it felt so real. I couldn’t stop the frost from forming on my fingertips. When I opened my eyes, I found my arms covered in a thin layer of ice. I needed to get in control. I needed to be perfectly in control. Especially if my parents expected me to stay hidden. I let out a cold breath. My recent nightmares of the future were definitely worrisome, with more fighting and death. I pushed the scenes away and looked around my new room. 

The room was nice. White walls, dark brown hardwood, a desk and a white queen bed. It didn’t help with the fact I had insane people after me. I didn’t care though. I could kill them if they tried to attack me. That was one thing my parents didn’t understand. They didn’t see how hard I tried to conceal my magic. People thought I was a monster even when my magic was concealed. Eyes filled with fear entered my mind. 

Stop. None of it matters now. I made my bed and got ready for school. The maroon, black, and gold uniform hung in my closet, perfectly ironed. I put it on and grabbed a pair of shoes. I sat down at the desk looking at the mirror. My pale skin stared back at me, void of any color. In fact, the only more visible color was my cold eyes. My platinum hair was thick and snarled. I closed my eyes. Taking a breath, I peeled my face away and made a new me. Long curly caramel hair, cinnamon skin, and grey eyes filled the mirror. It gave me a calming exterior, making me look more approachable and unsuspicious. Perfect. I reimagined myself short and not as toned. Thank you glamour. 

Breakfast was going to be soon, so I opened my dorm door and locked it behind me, making my way to the cafeteria. Large buffet tables were arranged for students, filled with all types of food. A line was forming of students clad in the same colored uniforms. I found a place in line and allowed myself to observe. Students hung out, chatting and slowly making their way through the line or towards their tables. Though, many probably didn’t want food. I found myself with an apple, utensils, eggs and at the end of the line. I looked around and found the stairs to the second floor. My bodyguards were waiting for me on the second floor. 

I made my way up the stairs. I was met by clean lunch tables all arange perfectly. Large glass windows lined the outside walls giving me a view of the courtyard. But the best part about it all was the large domed roof that you could see if you looked up over the edge of the glass banister that peered down below. I turned away and headed down the round hallway to wear my parents had informed me were we would meet. After rounding the corner  my eyes immediately darted to the familiar chestnut and caramel hair. Charles spotted me first. He had a softer look to him. With his bright blue eyes, shiny caramel hair, warm tan skin, and athletic build, he was painfully handsome. Not to count the fact that he also was a famous musician. The guy sitting next to him had sharper features, a chiseled pale face, olive eyes and chestnut hair that was styled to perfection. Asher was the son of a famous billionaire and business owner, and he got good looks from his mother who had been a model. 

“Caylen,” Charles greeted me with a hug, a large smile on his face.

“Excited?” Asher asked with a lopsided grin, also giving me a hug. Both of the boys were best friends with my brother. Our families were friends, so we were basically family. 

“Sure,” I joked sarcastically. Asher was probably lightening up the fact that I had been enraged when my parents had forced me to leave my home in England.

“English first right?” Asher asked, question flitting across his face, as he took his seat at the lunch table.

“Yes,” Charles responded for me as we sat down. 

“How are you doing?” Charles inquired as he picked at his food, looking at me. 

“Good,” I lied before taking a bite into my apple. Sympathy flashed across his eyes. 

“That’s good,” Asher said, frowning. He fell silent and seemed in deep thought. Breakfast continued with small talk about their families. 

“Some girls throw themselves at us. So you might want to watch out,” Asher said with a smirk as we walked to our class.

“Yeah right,” I said as I walked beside him. 

“You’d be surprised,” Asher said.

“I probably wouldn’t. A group of girls are heading our way,” I told him. I recognized the girl in front as the daughter of a guy who owned a huge firm. 

“Asher,” She said in a syrupy voice. She was pretty. But barbie doll pretty. Too perfect. “Do you and Charles want to join us for lunch?” She asked. 

“Sure, as long as my friend here can come,” He said. Her smile seemed to freeze and she nodded and strutted away. “That girl is so insecure,” He muttered under his breath. We continued to class. When we arrived a tall lady dressed in a knee length dress was waiting outside welcoming in students.

“Are you new?” she asked in a bright voice.

“Yes, I’m Caylen Bowers,” I answered, shaking her hand. She looked like a nice teacher with her brown hair up in a bun and her pretty face with simple makeup.

“Oh yes. I remember hearing that I had a new student. Here, let me find you a seat,” She said leading me into the classroom.