Anchester | Teen Ink

Anchester

By GraphicHex, Sunnyvale, California
GraphicHex, Sunnyvale, California

It's okay to be afraid, it's completely fine to have doubts. But when the time comes to face Fear and Adversity for the first time. To make the choice to face it with strength and courage, is what it means to be a real Hero.

Author's note:

Hiyya! My name is Alan Leon, i am an inspiring writer hoping to create amazing stories for readers who are into various types of fiction and non fiction. My hope is to turn this hobby of mine into something very successful in the near future for myself and as a current Highschool student, writing novels such as this one is a great opportunity for me.

If you have any Suggestions or Constructive criticism please let me know so i can do better next time! I want to improve to be the best writer i can be so let's look out for each other so we can keep telling/reading great stories!

I hope you enjoy my story :)

Awakening from the cold floor of the room I was in, I could feel my spine, bones, limbs, eyes and the rest of my body spring to life as I rose in a panic.

I could feel the bruises on my arms and down my body. I could feel the scratches on my face and legs burn as blood ran down each scar. Standing up I felt as if I was under a curse, was I really this injured?

I had no idea where I was.

I had no idea what had happened to even end up here. The last thing that I remembered doing was coming home from school on my bike, besides that my memory failed me.

Looking around the room I was in shock at how beat up everything was, from the glass shards on the ground,  the moss growing on the wall, and the rusted metal equipment. All I could tell was that I was in some sort of weary  laboratory. Walking out of the room all I could think about was how much my bruises f*cking hurt. It was like getting kicked in the shin on loop. 

As I left the room I entered a dark hallway, I uneasily limped my way down the corridor until I came across a large opening in the wall. Walking through it I was greeted with a massive facility before my eyes. A cold sweat ran down my face as I looked down to see an endless pit going downward before me, with large pipes interconnecting with each other throughout this mad house of horrors. I look to my left to see a boarded up door with wooden planks and nails prematurely nailed onto them.

“What could they have been boarding up?” I thought to myself.

And all of a sudden, the pipes catch my gaze and I realize that there are multiple platforms scattered throughout the interior of the pit. I ponder to myself for a second before immediately jumping onto one of the platforms.

The metal creaks, and snaps! But it doesn’t fall, I carefully walk along the large rusty industrial pipes as I hear water drip down above me.

I think to myself, “What could this have been?”, “Where even was I?”

More questions kept on filling my mind as I needed more and more answers with every dreadful passing second. I could feel my muscles clamping up, the hair on my arm standing up as I stared into the deep abyss below me…

My field of vision begins to blur every moment I think I might fall, and it didn’t help that it was already freezing cold down here…

I was scared…

I missed my parents, my friends, everything that i had known up until this point. Because right now, I genuinely felt like I was going to fall…

Even so- I pressed on, and managed to find another opening in the wall of the facility! A Smile covered my face as I stepped into another dark hallway. My feet were cold, I was dripping in sweat, my body still felt like it was asleep, and all I could think of was getting out of here. But in the moment that I was exiting the large room, a pair of glowing yellow orbs peered at me from across the massive gorge in the building. I looked closer, only to see them disappear into the dark. Shrugging it off in skepticism I walk through a door to find a rounding stairway right in front of me.

The stairway was miserably long, but I made my way up the stairway regardless. As I made my way up the stairway I started gaining full consciousness. It felt like I was being sprayed with cold water. 

Infact, it actually does feel like cold water being poured down my spine, and I know for a fact that it wasn’t the smashed pipes throughout this damn building. Arriving at the top I could feel myself sweat, I felt as if I was leaving puddles as I barely got up the stairs. At the very top I saw a door with an “Exit” sign on it. I limped up those stairs as fast as I could. As I was nearing the top I could feel my limbs weaken a bit from the strain on my body. I weakly crawled up to the top. Scared that I might fall back down, my shaky hands grabbed the handle and I opened the door.

Opening that door from the building, that gateway… 

Looking back that could have been the greatest mistake the universe had ever made. This was the beginning of my personal Hell

As I opened the door I was blinded by a bright light, but after a second, things started to set into view. I’m seeing forests so healthy. This forest was not like the ones from back home. They were dry and kinda dead. There was a sea of  trees as far as the eye can see, and large mountains in the distance. It was honestly kind of beautiful, but I quickly realized how freaking cold it was and immediately tried finding something to wear. Looking through a storage closet near the stairway I found a nice and comfortable Red Hoodie, oversized but it was comfy. I even found a pair of blue jeans, while stained and dirty I knew I'd need to work with it.

Walking down the mountainside I saw a bunch of old, cobbley steps of stone. In fact I noticed that there were quite a lot of ruined stone structures around the area, a lot being covered in moss and vines. Walking through some of them I could feel my joints quivering as I barely managed to walk around. 

“Was I kidnapped or something?”

I thought to myself, but there was no way I could have ended up all the way out here from the situation that I was in previously, even more suspicious that I’m so beat up.

“Hello? Hello!? IS ANYONE OUT THERE?”

Yelling furiously as I started to lean against a broken brick wall.

I waited a second, no response.

I waited a minute, no response.

And after yelling a couple more times it was clear that I was completely all by myself. I collapsed to the floor, managing to cross my legs and think, “Where the hell am I?” This question just kept going through my head. Surprisingly I'm not afraid, I'm more confused than anything really. Weirdly, I started laughing, thinking that this was just some joke. This was all a prank to get back at me or something maybe. But those laughs quickly turned into something different when I realized that it was dead silent this entire time. Infact I dont think I’ve ever seen a single bird, squirrel or even bug for that matter. It’s like- there's no wildlife here whatsoever.

Sitting on the wet grass on the floor, I close my eyes and cup my ears so I can hear better, hear my surroundings. There was dead silence, not even a gust of the wind could break the atmosphere, hope was fading- Until…

I heard rustling in the nearby tree’s, startled. I backed away from where I was, to only hear the rustling get ever louder before… It faded away…

Getting up from my position I started to walk further into the forest thinking I could find at least something that could give me answers. Going deeper into the forest, I felt like I would go on forever, like a never ending fever dream. I could feel the sweat dripping into my hoodie, my pants getting tighter each second. Eventually, I came across a river and it was the strangest thing I had ever seen. An animal that was not just one animal, but many. It’s as if all the wildlife in the forest condensed into that one living being. The river was not deep enough for it to protect me. I realized this quickly as the strange being started to run towards me. In shock and fear I stood there for a split second before running. “WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT!?” I yelled frantically. 

My body was already aching from the stairs I had to climb, and now I had to deal with this bullsh*t. I ran as fast as i could, sprinting even if it hurt, but at the moment there was too much adrenaline to make me feel pain, I had to escape. The Monster was right on my tail, I could hear the trees tremble in fear with every step it took, and feel the ground shake under me as the monster ran faster.  I raced as fast as my body allowed me too. Sweat was dripping down my back, I could feel my throat tightening up, I didn't know for how long I could keep running.

All hope seems lost…

That was until I saw buildings in the distance!

“Wait- Is that Civilization!?” I said as my legs were giving up.

In that second, the creature came up from behind me and knocked me as if I was nothing into a window of a nearby building. “What the- What the F*ck….” I gargled as blood spat out of my mouth, at that moment it felt like my side was cracked, janking around inside the innards of my body. I was incredibly injured, and in no condition to keep on running…

“What am i gon- What am i gonna do, that THING is going to kill me if i don't find a way to get out of this hellhole.”

I got up and limped my way over to the smashed window where I came flying in from. When I looked out of the window I could see the monster stalking the abandoned town that I seemed to be in. And at that moment I could hear it bawl a blood screeching cry into the sky, and I finally got a look at it for real.

It had the head of a goat with large horns, with smaller, more deformed grotesque animal body parts surrounding its lengthy slender body. It's hunched over appearance only added to its eldritch look, I could feel myself getting more frozen by the second…

My chest is cramping… My vision is blurring… My body is shaking…

I collapsed to my knees in a sign of hopelessness…

That was until I saw , out of the corner of my eye, a train station in the town. The dome top looked destroyed but the door still looked to be open. After seeing it I only became more distressed and hopeless, yet even so, for a moment, there was a spark of hope.