The Fallen 5 | Teen Ink

The Fallen 5

By Maru2, Rapid City, South Dakota
Maru2, Rapid City, South Dakota

Author's note:

This piece took very long to write and for peers to edit, but the fallen 5 are a group of people who have powers, they recreated the world by destroying all technology, however they killed themselves in the process. (This is all explained in the book.)

I love this a lot.

WW3, the darkest moment in all of humanity. The Birth of Powers. Yet also the day the world was reset to before any buildings all because of five people. All of them fought against one person, someone so strong he could shatter the world if it weren't for these five people. Yet even after teaming up they still couldn’t beat him, so they decided to sacrifice themselves to win. But in doing so they destroyed all architecture & technology. This insured humanity and their children Reno, Urban, Fall, Lunar, & Solar will have the chance to persevere. 

In 2035 after WW3 those who helped humanity rise to its once powerful self, were the children of the fallen five. Lunar & Solar led the “project” to help humanity rise back up. They led a revolution against the government. These five had special powers Reno's: summoning objects, Urban’s: teleportation, and able to summon beasts or monsters, Fall: able to create illusions, Lunar: witchcraft and able to control darkness, within the darkness she has complete control over what happens in there, so if it’s night, the world is at her disposal, and Solar’s: able to heal, control light to make barriers, objects, and rays of light.

They changed the world in what seemed like an instant. The children used their parent’s powers to help rebuild civilization but one day, they suddenly disappeared. Everyone was confused but the evolution just stopped, nobody was motivated without them around. They made everything so easy, so once they were gone they figured out how hard it was to build without technology. 

10 years later

“Why, why!” exclaims Autumn in confusion and pure shock as she stares at the destroyed village in ruin. This was the beginning of the end for the village, perhaps even the world. So many dead bodies lay alone in the darkness as a ray of light beams through the dark clouds. Two figures in cloaks appear in front of Autumn, without saying a word they look over to Luna laying still but still alive. The hair hidden by shadows casted by the cloak dances in the wind. They teleport in front of Luna. They grab her face and a bright light blinds Autumn. Before Autumn knows it, they’re gone. 

3 years before the incident 

“Bye mom, I’m off to school!” Autumn exclaims. “Alright, see you soon!” her mom yells back. Autumn begins to run to school when she passes by Luna’s house. Right as Autumn looks at the door Luna leaves the house and stumbles down the porch stairs. 

“Nice fall.” Autumn says while holding in a laugh. “HEY, I fell like a PRO!” Exclaims Luna while getting up. “Luna!!!!!!” Exclaims a voice from within her house. Luna looks back and her mom bursts down the door and chucks a piece of toast at Luna’s face.

I just stand there and grab the toast off of Luna’s face, and immediately drop it because it's scorching hot. Yet Luna seems perfectly fine! Luna puts the toast in her mouth and we begin running to school. Taking a bite she suddenly starts glowing under her clothes, but it stops the second I look at her.

Luna has a super weird run with toast in her mouth but we make it to school. Her crush, George walks up with a shining smile and roaches in his hair. He walks up to Luna, raises his hand, and rips out Luna’s heart. Autumn begins screaming as she gets out of her imaginary land and George begins smiling. “Back away slowly”, Autumn says as she begins walking backwards but Luna walks up to George and whispers something in his ear.

George begins smiling and kisses her on the forehead, Autumn doesn’t like that one bit and sucker punches him in the face! Just as the fist makes contact, Autumn's favorite teacher walks in. George falls over and Mrs. Pickme rushes towards George and takes him to the nurses office while giving Autumn the stink eye that says it all. “You and me, after class.” “I’m doomed” says Autumn looking at the clean floor that was as clear as a hot summer day. 

Autumn makes eye contact with Luna as she walks away. Suddenly the room goes dark and a sinister laugh begins echoing in Autumn’s brain. Autumn notices her left eye is being pulled out of her eye socket. She can’t feel anything, the pain, the eye leaving the socket, nothing. A masculine laugh erupts in Autumn’s head as multiple mouths form on Autumn’s body, laughing and mocking her. 

Autumn is sent back to reality when a piece of steaming hot toast hits her in the face. “Guess he finally showed himself.” Says a random girl with a smug look as she sees Autumn’s flabbergasted face. “You must be confused.” “ “Of course I am confused! I thought my eye was gone! And and, just who are you!?” Autumn says as she’s feeling her eyes to check if they're both there. She shrugged, “First off, my name is Reko. You were put in an illusion, that’s why you couldn’t feel anything. Also I’m one of the people who have special abilities. Those abilities are inherited. These powers aren’t to be used for evil which is why like 15 people have powers now in this school. That's everything you need to know, I’ve already told far too much.” explains Reko as she turns around and waves going back to where she came from.

Autumn unable to make words just faints. She opens her eyes to an all black room, she tries to get up but she can’t move. A ghost-like person appears in front of her with a gentle smile. “Hello there.” She says as her long white hair begins to appear as a gust of wind blows our hair, her voice seems to make anyone unable to speak. She lays her hand on my shoulder and she just smiles once more. Autumn wakes up in the nurse's office.

After she leaves the nurse’s office Autumn goes to Mrs.Pickme’s classroom, somehow she feels that the moment she opens the door she’ll see something. “Ehh it’s probably nothing” she says as she opens the door slowly. As she opened the door she saw her teacher unconscious with blood surrounding her. She saw a figure wearing a black cloak jump out of the window. Autumn ran up to her teacher in shock, what has happened? Just then she hears two people talking and sees the door handle turn. Just then Luna and Reko walk in. They are talking about something strange “I heard a rumor that the person who started the 100 year war goes to this Beverly school!” Exclaims Reko. “I don’t know but- stand guard, someone’s here.” Luna responds. They walk towards Autumn breathing and stare at her. Autumn blinks and suddenly Reko has a cup of tea. “Wha-“ autumn says. “You know how earlier I said I was one of the one percent of people? So is Reko!” Autumn looks at Luna then at Reko. “I inherited  Lunar’s abilities , So I’m The Darkness and Witchcraft, Lunar!” Exclaims Luna. “And I’m Reno, The object summoner.” Reko says with an unenthusiastic tone. “Ummm.” Says Autumn forgetting about Mrs.Pickme. “She dosn’t believe us.” Says Luna sadly. “Guess we’ll have to prove it!” Just then they start spinning and do a magical transformation! “Aren’t we like supposed to keep this a secret?”

“Oh yeah! You can’t tell anyone!” Exclaims Luna smiling big as Reko karate chops her in the head. “IT MEANS QUIET DOWN! Exclaims Reko “Sorry” says Luna frowning.

“Wait what the-“ starts Luna as she starts seeing the blood, she covers her mouth to keep herself from screaming as she points at Mrs.Pickme. “You-you killed Mrs.Pickme!”  Reko looks at Autumn in the eyes confused and also shocked as she notices Mrs.Pickme’s body as cold as ice.

Autumn looks back and soon realizes that she looks like the killer. “Wait, it wasn't me!” Autumn says putting up her hands as Reko summons handcuffs, but they seem different somehow, they have a slight red glow to them. Autumn, still trying to explain her innocence, starts just throwing out words and not sentences. Reko slams Autumn on the ground and puts on the handcuffs. The bell rings and we start to hear footsteps and Reko opens the window and throws Autumn out the window. “Take care of the body Luna," Reko says, still a bit shaken as her voice is cracking. Luna nods and takes the body into the shadow pocket realm. 

Luna takes a seat randomly as people start walking in, “Luna, your stuff!” exclaims a random student as Luna looks down and notices an empty desk. She rushes out to her locker and unlocks it. 1 minute left until the bell rings she grabs her stuff and she barely makes it in the room when the bell rings. She takes a sigh of relief. She sure needs things to go back to normal, her life has been like this the past 2 years. 

Meanwhile with Autumn & Reko 

“We are taking you to power court.”

Reko pulls out a map and they teleport to the area. There in a large golden court room with rows of juror’s that reach thousands of feet into the air. Siting in the judges seat is a woman with golden blond hair that flows freely in the wind. She’s wearing a red gown and is very beautiful. She opens her eyes and stares deeply into Autumn’s soul. Autumn feels thousands of pairs of eyes all quickly turn to her. The woman who Autumn assumes is the judge begins to speak “Plead Your Case.” She says in a strict voice. Trembling Autumn says “I-I don’t know what happened! Mrs. Pickme told me to meet her after class and when I-I went into h-her room…” Autumn can’t speak, she’s too afraid to. Her eyes begin glowing a bright yellow and you can’t see her eyes anymore. The light is so bright it looked like the sun but it stated to grow dim and she is presented with a smile. “I’m sure you’re confused, my power is able to tell if someone lies.” Says the Judge. “Go with the Five and solve this case.” Autumn is confused but goes along anyways.

They return to the real world and Reko calls the school and Luna is called to the office. Luna, Reko, and Autumn begin their search for Mrs. Pickme’s killer. 

Once they exit the school gates Luna explains “I have a theory on who killed Mrs. Pickme. You know who started the 100 year war?” “Absolutely!” Exclaims Autumn “good” says Reko “NOT! They don’t teach that stuff in regular school!” Exclaims Autumn while just looking at Reko confused she opens her mouth and says something but as she does Reko shushes her. “Quiet!” Reko sighs “You guys are way to loud! WHAT IF SOMEONE HEARS YOU!” “Right… sorry Reko!” Laughs but with a hint of fear in her voice. “I’m serious what if he hears you SHOUTING or you SCREAMING.” Without thinking Autumn says “You’re shouting too-“ “THIS IS DIFFERENT!” Shouts Reko. “She’s right.” Says Luna covering her ears. “Now come with me, we need to figure out your power.” Sighs Reko. “What wha, I have one!?” Asks Autumn. 

They walk to a field and Luna cast a spell that forms a sound proof dome around them. “What did you do?” Asks Autumn in awe. “I made a soundproof barrier so no one sees or hears our conversation.” Responds Luna happily. “Now eat this!” Says Luna as she throws a piece of toast at Autumn. The toast that used to burn now feels only slightly warm. “Eat it! It will give you powers!” Luna says joyfully.

The moment Autumn’s mouth makes contact with the toast she begins to rise. Then she begins emitting bright light. Suddenly Autumn finds herself grabbing a scythe and then slowly heading towards the ground again. “Woah.” Says Autumn amazed.

Reko just nods her head with a grin while Luna is jumping around like it’s a bouncy house. “You should have a name engraved in your arm, check.” Says Reko. Autumn looks at her left arm and nothing. “It’s not there?” “Right arm.” She checks her right arm and sees the name “Akuma” yet also the names “Solar” 

“Two names? That’s not possible!” Exclaims Reko as she seems to be panicking. “What Reko!?” Asks Luna confused Reko’s eyes seem to become filled with emptiness and anger as her eyes become pitch black. The air starts becoming hot and steam fills the small space within Luna’s spell. “The air, its so hot.” Says Luna as a roar erupts in the steam and Luna gets kicked in the stomach and gets sent flying but the bubble reacts to her movement and the bubble expands.

Autumn starts shaking as she makes eye contact with Reko. Reko suddenly disappears and reappears directly in front of Autumn and begins choking Autumn. She starts kicking and hitting Reko’s face in desperation but suddenly her mind goes blank, she looks at Luna’s unconscious body laying on the floor. She looks at Reko’s black eyes. Autumn starts taking fast breaths and her scythe appears in her hand and in a last ditch attempt to save herself, she cuts off Reko’s arm. Reko with her other arm punches Autumn in the face and she gets sent twenty feet, it’s clear she’s getting weaker but she won’t show it. 

Reko grins as she starts jumping higher and higher to the top of the bubble. She plants her feet in the top and launches herself at Autumn, Autumn without thinking dodges it and cuts off Reko’s other arm. It’s like she’s not in control. Autumn grins at Reko and she lets her body be controlled by whatever is in her. That however, this was the wrong choice. Her mind goes blank but right before that she sees her arm be consumed by ink. But the word Akuma burns right through the ink. 

Autumn has lost control of herself and let the name engraved on her arm take control. All Autumn sees is black, but a bright light soon appears. The light started to fight the darkness for control of this space and with what little light there was a hand emerged from it. Autumn stands there for a second just staring at it, she takes one step forward and light erupts from the footprint as ink splatters around Autumn. She takes the hand and it pulls her in a area where the sky is as clear as glass and as peaceful as the calming sea. A cold breeze hits Autumn as she starts to shiver, a hand appears out of nowhere on her shoulder, she jumps up but she notices that she’s as warm and calm as if she was in bed.

“You need to take control.” says a familiar voice. The dancing white hair  and the heart warming smile, no doubt about it, it's the same woman as before in her dream. However, the smile is not there, she has a serious face. “Who are you?” Autumn asks “well what answer do you want, the one that will make you rethink your entire life or the simple one?” she says, starting to smile again. “Start simple, maybe then complicated?” Autumn is visibly confused. “Well alright.” she says with a sigh. “I am Solar, and I have chosen you as my vessel.” “But why? I’m just an ordinary girl-” she starts to look down and mumble, “i'm a nobody.” she says looking at the clear water at her feet. The girl puts her  hand under Autumn’s chin and lifts up her face. “My vessel is never a nobody, and besides, I would be a fool to pick a nobody.” she says smiling. “But what’s so special about me?” Autumn asks, confused. “Well it’s simple, you’re my daughter.”

TO BE CONTINUED…