Speechless Speech | Teen Ink

Speechless Speech

April 1, 2015
By SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other
More by this author
SandraNair GOLD, Trivandrum,Kerala, Other
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"One Child,One teacher,One book and one pen can change the world"- Didi(Malala Yousafzai).

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow,learn as if you were to live forever"
- Mahatma Gandhi


"Everything begins to end once. Does your life have horns to survive? It too falls once." The silent reply of a young lady, Jeromia Nair. Jerom was in such a state of mind that she wanted to do her diploma in Mumbai. Is she the next Rani Laxmi Bai, fighting to become a journalism student against her parent's wish?

Jeromia was a beautiful girl who had short hairs and graceful lips. Skirt and shirt was her usual dress and she hated dressing like a bride every day. She had been excellent in her studies and a good artist as well. Anyone who looks at her wouldn't dare to remove their eyes from her. But anyone who tries to talk with her could realize that she couldn't speak or hear well.

From the day Jeromia started quarreling to become a journalist, counseling was a part of her life. Advices made her eardrums sick, she felt as if none felt kind of her. Family, friends, relatives and everyone said she was a girl of self-pride and ignorance. 

An ignorant girl.

One day she went for purchasing a book all alone. While she was getting back home by bus, her neighbor saw her traveling alone. The neighbor enquired rudely, "Why are you out when others are not with you?” Suddenly Jeromia took a pen and pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down: ' Shylaja auntie, I hadn't gone for shopping unnecessarily, but for purchasing a book and I don't consider it a big mistake. I’m not alone, auntie'. The bus driver applied brake and she had to pause for a moment and then continue: 'God is always there with me and he is walking in front of me. I'm just following him. And one more thing, I asked my amma's permission and she granted me freedom to go out and get a book. She was the one who took me to the bus station and I know the conductor well. She will help me in getting out at the right place. After all, I'm not blind. I can see well and also hear, though not clear. Just one more thing, auntie. Today, I saw your son chatting with a girl. And I do not feel it much safe as he was hiding from me when he saw me walking towards them. Ask him who she was and why he went to Jeweler shop.' As she stopped writing and handed over the paper to Shylaja, she had nothing more or less to say. She remained quiet until she reached home; even the normal queries she used to make were avoided.


That was how Jeromia made her path and get into things. She was a good CID and would peep into others' life which would practically say; help her at many circumstances like the above incident. To other people around her, Jeromia Nair was an uneasy and bad habitual girl, a bad beauty.

But...

To Mathangi Xavier she was the most bold and self confident woman. ‘Living a life of courage is far better than leading a life of hatred.' This was Mathangi's principle. The beautiful, young, nervous girl Mathangi, who is lovingly called, Mathu by her family was a girl who was highly devoted to her family. Mathangi and Jeromia were sweet sisters of loving and honesty. Both together helped many people in their residents. This habit had been developed from their childhood.

There’s a story, their unforgettable incident to let you know about the two friends, the sisters. In their teenage, the first one seventeen and the other thirteen this occurred-witnessing a murder. Though Mathu had been slightly was slightly taken aback, Jerom gave strength to her sister and they appeared before the court. As Jerom couldn’t speak, it was Mathangi who said everything that happened. As their family was a good support, though the family is not thus then, they succeeded. Truth won. This is just one incident among lots and lots of other situations the sisters had to face.
Mathangi had been working as an IIT professional in a company in Delhi since three years. She used to visit her family once when she got leave. She flew to only because of her sister, Jerom. She couldn’t bear her sister being harassed and she always wished Jeromia to stay happy and live. Whenever Jeromia used to weep, Mathangi too cried along with her. She thought that this would make Jerom feel comfortable.

How can such a sister tolerate her sweet sibling being irritated? [I too have one such sister and this chapter is dedicated specially to her.]

While walking through the stairs of the flat, Mathangi made herself to speak against her family for her speechless Jerom. How cute of her! Any sister like Jerom would wish for such a ‘best friend’, a lovable sister. Till the date, she hadn’t questioned her family or even opened her mouth to talk against her father, grandmother, brother or step-mother. But she didn’t like tears falling from her Jerom’s eyes.

Mind filled with thoughts, Mathangi tried to knock at the door which was already opened. Right before her, was her thirteen year old brother, Sukhil whose nose had been accidentally knocked off by the thoughtful sister. He was purple with rage and his round black eyes were radiating his anger. Mathangi looked at him, a peaceful look saying sorry for her silliness and she went in.

When she entered the parlor, the ones around her were her father, Xavier and step-mother, Rossania. They both stood ready t fight with her. The sudden question she had to answer was, “Who are you?”Anyone who reads this won’t understand what Xavier meant. But Mathangi could build up the whole sentence from these three words.  He meant who she was to care about Jerom. With an undutiful smile, she turned to her ‘mother’ who was always with her from her mother’s death or maybe far before that day. Rossania had been Sukhil’s class teacher and had once taught Jerom and Mathu. She had been an excellent teacher and led the role of a spokesperson of Jeromia in her school-days. There was a good relationship between Jerom and Rossania. That was when Devaki, Sreedevi’s mother and Jerom’s grandmother advised Xavier to marry Rossania who would prove a good mother to Jeromia and Mathangi. Owing to continues compelling, Xavier had to tie knot with Rossania, only for his children who were just in their teenage.

Sreedevi, the most amazing mother, wife and child passed away when Jeromia and Mathangi were still babies. It had been a suicide, the worst history which the Xavier family would like to forget.

Mathangi pretended as if she had nothing to talk to her papa. “Amma, I…” she began to give her piece of mind, “I don’t know how you paved the way for a wild guess that I came to talk for Jerom. ‘Am her sister and now… her only helping hand. You know her from her birth. Our Jerom is, unfortunately a dumb and partially deaf girl and we’re the only people who are there to stand beside her.” Without letting her complete, Xavier began from where she stopped, “Yes, we are the only ones who can save her. Are you stubborn? How do you think of a dumb girl being a journalist? Will she earn a job? She has a good future. Let her look into it and choose another career.” Mathangi didn’t know how to win over her father.

Suddenly the bedroom door was bang open! Jeromia walked to her sister angrily and showed some signs at her without any more signs, she stared at her dad and then went outside.  This was her habit whenever something teased her; she would run outside to spend time at the swimming pool.  She would often stay there that the cool breeze at the pool erased her tears.
    Mathu, who was always listening to Jerom’s silence, could interpret it very easily.  She slowly began,”Amma and Papa, I hope we have no other choice to look for.  She has decided to become a speechless speaker.  In this dwell where we, who have tongues to speak has decided to keep rolled up, girls like her should speak for the sake of human safety.  She is saying that she contacted one of her friends and got an admission in a college of   Journalism at Mumbai.  She also said that she’ll only study at Mumbai and no one has to search for a seat elsewhere”.  She completed her words with a deep sign.  Her parents stood silent, they had nothing else to say.  Both knew we how Jerom would behave, sometimes out of control and violently.
       Jerom had always been exactly the same way.  Do what she liked; she strongly believed that truth always triumphs.  Therefore, she ne’er ran behind unnecessary things and would react against social evils.
     Time would’ve been around nine or just a few minutes more.  Mathangi, who was helping her mother in household works, went to Jerom’s room. Jerom’s room had always been different from all the others’.  To others it sometimes seemed to be a library or even an asylum! When Mathangi got inside the room, Jerom was sitting in one corner of the room.  As she saw Mathu coming to her, Jerom kept her diary in the table and went near her. “We will be going to Mumbai two weeks later,” Mathangi told to Jerom. Jeromia soon tore a paper from her single-lined notebook and wrote down: ‘We? Are you also coming along with me?”  Mathu read it and explained, “I know that you won’t be able to stay alone in a new state.
Moreover, you are wishing for my presence, aren’t you? I’ve got transfer to our company’s office in Mumbai”. Jerom’s face resembled her happiness; still ….She thought for a while and began writing: ‘Chechi, I would be glad if we could spend a week at our grandmother’s home. It will make her joyful and it’s what I wish for. Could you please allow me to be there? You should also accompany me.’ As she wrote these lines, tears flowed down her cheeks. She knew very well how much her grand-mother, Devaki loved her sister and her. That would be the reason for this request. Anyway, Mathangi too wanted to visit her grand-mother and they decided to go to their grandma’s home the next day.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.