Rooftop | Teen Ink

Rooftop

By RustedTelephone BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
RustedTelephone BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

"There is always light. If only we're brave enough to see it. If only we're brave enough to be it." -Amanda Gorman

Will hadn't believed his luck when he had discovered that a bakery was going to open right next to the alley where he lived. All the baked goods that weren’t made perfectly were placed in a bag and tossed out into the ally. At first this had been a problem for Will. The door was opened twice a day, meaning that he could be spotted anytime he wasn’t paying attention when the door was opened. But he had soon began to track the times throughout the day when the doors where opened, and the bags were brought out. There was also a platform above the door, that Will couldn’t reach, even if he stood on a dumpster beneath it. But, after finding a broken hammer, a couple rusty nails, and some rotting wood planks, he was able to nail a sort of ladder to the wall, and could now access that platform, which he now climbed to whenever he was home, and it was time for the trash to be let out.

Home had always been this alley for Will. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but he loved it here. Sometimes he was forced to leave for periods of time. He didn’t mind it too much. He knew where to go whenever the gang came along, but it was often hard to sneak out when they came along, and the boys usually caught him before he could make it out. Now, though, this wasn’t a problem. Once he made it to the platform, his small, nimble body could slide through the open window a few feet above the platform. He could then creep through the bakery’s dusty attic that was always deserted and slide out the other window on the opposite side of the attic and end up on the roof. He had slept up here before too and loved to watch the sunset from above the busy streets of New York.

So that’s what he was doing now. He clambered up his ladder, and onto the platform. Stepping on bricks that stuck out a bit from the wall, he grabbed the top of the open window, pulled himself up and through it, and tiptoed across the attic to the opposite window. He was carrying his only, and most prized possession. His flashlight. Blue with a fancy gold writing that spelled out:  li  t  h  n gh . He had no idea what li  t  h  n gh  meant, but he treasured the flashlight, which he had found in a dumpster while looking for food, before the bakery had opened. He had stolen a large pack of batteries from the store down the street, but he stilled use the flashlight sparingly. He hated stealing and couldn’t sleep the next couple of nights after he had stolen anything, so he tried to avoid it whenever he could.

He scrambled through the window, carefully stepping over the brick ledge, and onto the roof outside. As soon as his feet touched the top of the building beneath him, he began to run, sprinting along the battered tiles lining the flat roof. His feet were bare, but he was so used to running around without shoes, that they were practically leather. Soon, he reached the end of the roof. Near the edge was a flat piece of wood that he placed across the stretch of roof in between the one he was currently on, and the one ahead of him. He was in a small, poor part of New York, and most of the buildings were short, and rather close together, making hopping across them, and climbing on top rather easy. However, these two buildings were unusually far apart, and wood was necessary, because it was too far to jump. He raced across the wood, and then dragged it onto his side of the roof before hurrying on, jumping across roof tops, until he found the one he was looking for.

The roof had as small, blue, abandoned balcony, which must have once had door leading to it from a cozy attic, but now didn’t have a door or window, and just sat up there, unused except for the times when Will came here. Like now. So, he waited there for many long minutes, waiting for her. Had she managed to escape? That had been the problem with the plan. Her dad could have held her up. And then…

“Charlotte!” he called put to her. “About time! I was worried! We’re still waiting on Remmy. I hope he’s okay!”

Charlotte grinned at him. “I’m sure Remmy’s fine. He’ll be here, I know it.”

Will grinned. Charlotte was the unofficial leader of their mini gang. She wasn’t afraid to steal, or hurt, or anything. She loved breaking the rules. Sometimes she broke them just because she could, not because she felt they would help her or her friends. The only people she was kind to, were Will and Remmy. She wanted to show the world that girls could break the rules and get dirty, and not get caught. And in Will’s opinion, she was doing a really good job of it. She plopped down on the roof next to him.

“Don’t worry about him,” she said. “He’s always late, and always fine. I’m always late too. My dad always takes forever to go to sleep.” Charlotte lived with her dad next to the Macy’s down the road. Her dad had once been a well-known, rich businessman before his wife had died, and secluded himself in his house, too devastated to come out, leaving his 5-year-old daughter to fend for herself. He had then soon lost his job, and they had needed to move out of there house, unable to find a new job. Now he spent most of his time drinking and yelling at his daughter. This would upset the average girl, but in Will’s opinion, it only made Charlotte tougher.

Will and Charlotte sat on the roof talking about what had happened since they last saw each other. Soon enough, Remmy appeared around the side of the roof, panting. Remmy lived on a bench in Bronx Park. He lived with a man who Remmy called Uncle Ted. Ted was living in the park when Remmy had come a joined him. The two of them had become close, and now lived together in the park. Ted was the kind of person you could talk to and begin to like, even before you had gotten to know them. Will had only met him once and had already started calling him Uncle as well. Remmy still hadn’t told Charlotte or Will anything about his past, but Remmy didn’t know Will’s past either. They both knew Charlotte’s, and Charlotte knew Will’s.

Will had grown up, not wealthy, but not poor either. Right in the middle. Both his parents were teachers. They were still alive, and nothing had happened to them. He knew where to find them, but there was no way he was gonna try. They hadn’t looked for him either. There was a time when they had loved each other, the most a family could love each other. Then, Will had decided to come out, and had told his parents the truth at last. He was gay. The moment he told them, his mother had started to cry, and even his father had dabbed at his eyes. Will had first though that they were crying from happiness, until his mom said a word that he would never forget. And that night, he ran, and had been in The Bronx ever since.

The reason Will couldn’t live with Charlotte was because of her father. He didn’t much like anyone anymore, and he wouldn’t allow anyone anywhere near their corner of the street by Macy’s which was why Charlotte had to drop down from the roof directly into the corner. He didn’t seem to notice if the person was already in the corner. But if they approached it… Most people knew to avoid the corner now, and Will was no exception. Charlotte didn’t mind. She also avoided it whenever she could, but she couldn’t live with Will because there was no room in his old ally, and she could live with Remmy for the same reason Will couldn’t. Remmy liked to be alone, and Will and Charlotte knew it. So, they decided to give him and Ted space. He had never invited them to come stay on the bench. Charlotte had never invited them to live with her and her dad, because he would never allow it, and Will had never asked either of them to stay with him because Charlotte would never leave her dad, and Remmy would never leave Ted. They lived separated, and as for living on the roof, during the night they may go up there, but during the day, when the streets are full of people, and cars honking, they would be spotted, and who knows what would happen after that.

“Rem!” Will exclaimed as Remmy approached the balcony, swung is legs over it, and hosted himself onto the ledge overlooking the blue rails. “About time! We were getting worried!”

“No,” Charlotte said. “You were getting worried. I knew he’d show up.”

Will rolled his eyes, smiling. They were all together again. He loved spending time with them. They both had people to live with, and even if Charlotte’s father was always yelling and drinking, at least she still had him. Will was alone. Always. Except on these nights. And he treasured them, always worrying that one day, he wouldn’t have them to look forward to.

“Hey guys,” Remmy said. “I need to show you something. Can you roof-hop with me over there?” He pointed the direction that he had come.

“Sure,” Will said.

“Fiiine,” Charlotte sighed. “But this had better be good.”

“I don’t know… but it definitely looked cool from a distance,” Remmy said. “I haven’t checked it out yet. I wanted to tell you guys. Follow me.”

Will, Charlotte, and Remmy ran along the roof to the place where it sloped down. Will’s first time on the roof had been him sliding, terrified down the slops of the roof before his relieved feet hit gutter. Now, he raced along the slops, and used the gutter as a platform to boost himself across to the opposite rooftop. Charlotte, as far as Will knew has been raised to jump across rooves. She flew across them with such grace, she would probably amaze a tightrope walker.

Remmy was still a bit new to roof jumping. Will had known Charlotte for about a year, and the two had known Remmy for only two or three months, starting when Will had met him on a walk through the street looking for food before the bakery had opened. He had caught him stealing fruit from a shopping mall, and at the same time that he had been stealing fruit from the same shopping mall. The two had first be freighted that the other had seen them stealing, but, after realizing that the other had been stealing too, they had introduced themselves, Remmy had brought Will to his park to meet Ted, and Will had taken Remmy to meet Charlotte up on the roof that night.

Charlotte had been very reserved at first, but that was just how Charlotte was. She had been like that when Will had met her too. Kept to herself, and not willing to trust. But, over time she had opened to Will, and She opened up to Remmy even quicker. She was started to learn that there were many good people in the world. Not all of them were good, and Charlotte had had some bad experiences with the ones that weren’t but there were more good ones than bad. Charlotte was learning that, day by day.

Will had met Charlotte back when she was fairly new to roof-jumping. It had been at night. Long before Will had had his ladder and platform, and he had been sleeping amid a pile of garbage when he had heard a crash above him, and down Charlotte had fallen. Right onto the pile of garbage, which meant she hadn’t been hurt badly, but Will, naturally, and leaped up to his feet and ran over to her side to see if she was alright. She was bruised and a bit scratched, but you could expect that, living on the streets, even without falling from a roof. She had shakily gotten to her feet and blushed so deeply, that will could see it even in the dark.

“Are you okay?” He had asked her.

“I’m fine,” She had said turning away from him.

There had been an awkward silence after that before Will had said, “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m fine. Do you live here?”

“Uh… No?”

“You’re a terrible liar.”

“I’m Will,” He had said, Mostly to change the subject.”

“Amazing. Mind if I sleep here? Falling from a roof is surprisingly tiring.”

“Sure.”

“Great.”

The next morning, she was gone, but about a week later, Will had passed the corner by Macy’s where Charlotte and her father lived. As soon as Will had gotten too near, Charlotte’s father was there, swearing and shouting in Will’s face. Charlotte had emerged from a tent behind him, and, the moment she saw what was going on, turned to go back inside, but she somehow seemed to recognize Will, just as he did her, despite that fact that it had been dark when they had met, and that they had only seen each other for a short time.

“Dad?” She had asked in a small voice that Will had not expected after the last time they had met. Her dad had turned to face her. “Dad?” She said again, still in that small voice, and Will got the feel his daughter was the only one he would listen to. “Come inside, okay?” She continued. He trudged inside, away from Will, and Will though he heard him collapse once he was out of sight.

“Thanks for that,” Will said.

“Yeah…” She said. “Uh, sorry about him. He hasn’t been drinking today I think, or he wouldn’t have listened. I might like him better when he is drinking though. He talks more…”  She fades away, looking extremely embarrassed, which I can tell must not be a normal emotion for her, but she must have been feeling it both the times we had met so far.

“Do you… wanna meet me somewhere soon? Just to talk?” Will had said.

“Sure,” She had said. And that was how, two nights later, he was sneaking into the building that, in less than a year, would become a bakery. Until then, it was an abandoned drugstore. He crept up the stairs to the attic that he could now get to through that window. He had climbed clumsily through the window, and cross the rooves, to the one with the large gap, where Charlotte had left him a piece of wood, across the wood, and then across many other rooves he traveled, until he reached the blues balcony, and he found Charlotte waiting for him.

They talked for hours. Will mostly, and when Charlotte did say things it wasn’t anything personal. And Will told her how he was gay, because he figured he better tell her before they became good friends, if that ever happened. If he didn’t, she would become his friend, and then ditch him when he came out, just like his family had. But when he told her about the word his mother had said, Charlotte had called her another very nasty word that she had likely heard her father screaming at woman while he was drunk, and Will had felt so much lighter, sharing his burden with someone else who actually understood him.

And all of this was playing through his mind while he and Charlotte followed Remmy, curious to see where he was taking them, until they reached one, particular roof, and the three of them gazed downward. “What is it?” Will asked, for hundreds of lights where blinking up at him from a single old looking building that he had never seen before.

“I have no idea,” Remmy said. “Should we check it out?”

Will and Charlotte nodded, and the three of them searched for the part of the gutter that reached the ground which they each grabbed, and, in turn, slid down toward the dark, quiet sidewalk. Upon reaching the ground, the three of them hurried across the street, before looking for a new way onto the roof. But the buildings were taller here, and they couldn’t find an easy way up. They would have to break in and sneak through a window in order to reach the top, and although Charlotte was all for it, Will and Remmy agreed that it wasn’t worth it. They should travel on the ground if they could. So, they darted through the alleys and raced around buildings, staying to the shadows as much as they could. Mainly because of Charlotte and maybe a bit because of Remmy. They were more likely to be recognized as thieves if they were spotted. Will was rarely a thief.

Will was rarely a thief.

They were careful as they neared the lights. They couldn’t be spotted. It could cost them everything if they were recognized. Ordinarily, if Will, Remmy and Charlotte had approached a random house with flashing lights they wouldn’t have rung the doorbell. But at this particular house, they felt that nothing bad could come of this. They could see a gutter that would be easy for them to shimmy up next to the house, and they had a lot of practice. A person in that house would have job following them up there. They allowed Remmy to press the doorbell, because he had been the one to find the house to begin with. Will was feeling slightly excited, and extremely nervous, the closer Remmy’s finger got to the doorbell.

Will had expected a ringing sound. Instead, a terrible, sheik erupted from the door, and Will and Remmy took off in the opposite direction. They made it all the way up the gutter and to the roof before they realized that Charlotte wasn’t with them, they turned on the roof to see her, still standing at the door. She rolled her eyes at them. “It was just the sound of the doorbell!“ She whisper-shouted. “No one actually screamed!”

“Oh!” Will whisper-shouted back. “Come on Remmy.” The two of them slid by down the gutter and ran back to meet up with Charlotte. “I still think it’s pretty weird and creepy,” Will said, once they had reached her again. “That the doorbell screams. Like, when I doubt about whether or not to enter a house, choose not, when the doorbell screams at you. Not a good sign.”

Remmy laughed, but Charlotte just shrugged. “I’m sure it's fine,” she said.

“You’re not actually thinking about going in there are you?” Will asked.

“Well yeah. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“Umm, like, someone inside sees us, they call the police, the police come and arrest us, and then they recognize us as wanted thieves. I have to leave my ally, you have to leave your dad, Remmy has to leave Ted, and our lives are ruined.”

“Lets go in,” Charlotte said.

“Wait what!?” Will said as Charlotte opened the door. “Charlotte? Charlotte!” But she had already vanished into the dark building. “I don’t like this,” Will said. “I don’t like this at all. The lights, the screaming door, the fact that I had never seen this place until today? I’ve been everywhere in this neighborhood. I don’t just live in it. I live on it. There’s something fishy going on here.”

“I agree,” Remmy said. “But we can’t just let her go in there alone. We’re her friend, and if there is something going on, we can’t let her handle it alone.”

“Ok,” Will said. “Let’s go.”

This book has 1 comment.

I accidentally said 'Will was rarely a thief.' twice. Lol, whoops.