Political Correctness | Teen Ink

Political Correctness MAG

Political correctnesscripples the right to freedom of speech granted by the first amendment. How canwe speak our minds if we are always trying to make sure we don't offend anyone?Really, many things people think would offend someone, even though they mean noharm. It seems like people today nitpick to find some way that these things areoffensive. Whether it is a billboard, speech or a picture, someone will say it isoffensive or discriminatory. This is as wrong as discrimination, and peopleshould be able to speak their minds and represent themselves without beingconcerned with political correctness. I hope in the future I can help relieveAmerica from the burden of political correctness.

There is an enormousdifference between being a good, fair, caring person, and being politicallycorrect. I believe that in general people are caring and don't want to hurt eachother even with words. Even a caring person will eventually offend someone withtheir point of view. But if people are so afraid of being politically incorrectthat they don't speak their minds, what will happen to our country? I refuse tobe politically correct.

I don't try to offend anyone, and I am not aprejudiced person, but if I believe strongly in something, I will not hold mytongue. Unless it would hurt someone or be in vain, I will defend, praise orcriticize members of my race, religion and gender as I feel necessary just as Iwould criticize any other. The only political correctness I support is that youcannot generalize an individual as a people.

My generation isoutspoken and intelligent. Please do not confuse us with people on MTV, becausethere are some amazing people in my generation. I don't worry about the future ofour country because I see whose hands it is in. We grew up fast and well aware ofthe outside world. I have great hope for my future in this country, and hope toleave a lasting impact on how Americans communicate with one another - and howAmerica is run.

J. Rae said...
Thank you! I am so glad that someone else has my opinion! Did you know that some colleges have enforced just two hours  of being able to publicly speak? And even then, what you are going to talk about has to be approved first! Our freedom of speech is slowely being taken away.

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Political Correctness has nothing to do with the first amandment. No one needs to be politically correct, they won't go to jail for it. Political Correctness is about not making people hate you!

If I said absolutely everything I was thinking, I'd have no friends. I dare you, go a week saying every racist, sexist, ignorant thing you want; the first amandment won't stop people from rubbing soap in your mouth.

Morgan4852 GOLD, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
YOU GO GIRL!

i can totally agree with everything you said.

why should we not say things tha we really think?

sometimes the truth hurts.

I think a majority of our society is quite dim but I'm glad that all the intellectuals gather at this site. :D