Should Teens Be Tried As Adults | Teen Ink

Should Teens Be Tried As Adults MAG

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

YungB said...
im fifteen years old constantly breaking laws. if you think 11 years or older should be tried as adults, then treat us like adults. No curfew, let them buy tabbacco. you cant punish a teen as an adult if you dont treat them as one

bobwefrwerfw said...
cool story bro

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Well if you think that then don't you think the "minor age" should be changed from 18 (or whatever it is) to 15?

Maggie said...
You have a great point. I think that teens should have a fair trial, but that their punishments should (usually) be a little less severe than it is for most adults.

LalaBaby87 said...
i believe that they should be tried as an adult because 11 year olds  and up know whats  wrong and right also. there was and article about a 14 year killing his english teacher. now what reason was that for? he knew exactly what he was doing. and then there was 2 10 year old boys who went to the mall and seen a 2 year old lil boy. kidnapped him and took him somewhere so they can be alone. tortured and sexually assaulted then murdering the 2 year old. now can anyone tell me 2 10 year old boys didnt know what they were doing? were they BOTH messed up in the head? what did the 2 year old do to these older boys? i think they should be tried as adults because they know exactly what they were doing they have  no excuse for what they did. if that was your child would you want justice for the killing of your loved one? come on now...

SubtleMeaning GOLD, New York City, New York
Well, if a child takes a life, it's only natural that his/her's should be taken away as well. Though, "if someone's too young to drink or buy cigarettes, they're too young to be sent to jail for the rest of their life."

Gatorfan said...
If anyone deserves a chance to change their life around then any genocidal maniac should as well. If we had caught hitler before he killed himself, should he of had a second chance and walked free? Should bin laden or saddam Hussein?

garthgirl8888 BRONZE, Long Beach, California
However, studies have shown that many teens don't have the necessary brain function to make mature decisons the way adults do. There are always exceptions, and you are obviously one of them. Most of the people on this site probably are. However, many kids aren't like us and might make an impulsive decsion that they would regret later simply because their pre-frontal cortex isn't operating the way it will be in a few years.

kem86 said...
Both of you would be taken more seriously if you spelled correctly and had a better understanding of the English language.  "Sexyy Beast"- It's you're, as in "you are." "Spade of Hearts" - it only takes a few second longer to write out that "o" in "you" and the word "because" rather than bcuz.

Oh. Sorry then :'(

Naomi518 GOLD said...
Naomi518 GOLD, Windsor, Connecticut

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light" ~Albus Dumbledore

nope. just me.

no it looks like someone is kissing yur neck. im sorry to offend you but hey, it offended me too (hem hem)

Naomi518 GOLD said...
Naomi518 GOLD, Windsor, Connecticut

...that's a picture of me...are you calling me disturbing? I take offence to that

yeah thats true. btw yur profile picture is disturbing and should be changed immediately

screw you. first off, noone's going to ask you what you think because who wants to talk to such shallow, conceited people? and second, are yu one of those teens who commit crimes? bcuz this essay proves a great point about how teens like yu are being carelessly stupid when it comes to behavior and actions.

Rivan SILVER said...
Rivan SILVER, Westfield, Other

Clever as the devil and twice as pretty. -Holly Black

Yes we should be tried as adults. Murder is murder. THough there should be an investigation of the cause. In self defence or ignorance a child/teen should be sent to juvinile delinquence center.

there was a boy who didn't like a girl he shot her he was 5. This is the fault of the parent for having a gun not stowed out of harms way and full cocked gun in the hand of a child is leathal.

Blahhhhh!your all wrong!!:{)

Naomi518 GOLD said...
Naomi518 GOLD, Windsor, Connecticut

the thing is, people under 18 are still required to have an education. that's why they are sent to juvie (at least where I'm from)

RuLiZ18 said...
I think that they should be tried as an adult because even tho they are a teen they should the between right and wrong.

patriots#22 said...
i think that there is just know way of knowing what other people think and what is going through their minds. Therefore i do agree as 15-17 year olds being punished as adults but anyone younger should be given a lighter sentance/tried as a juvinile. and anyone who is crazy enough to kill someone needs to be checked out mentally. with proper parenting there wouldnt be crimes like this and we wouldnt even be having this commenting session...