Should Tv Violence Be Restricted? | Teen Ink

Should Tv Violence Be Restricted? MAG

By Anonymous

   Should TV Violence
be Restricted?
by J. M., Newburyport, MA
This simple question has a very complicated answer. Some people say we should get rid of the violence altogether. This kind of person is one who watches "Sesame Street" seven hours a day, saves a whale, a spotted owl, a cockroach, or whatever the endangered species of the day is, and gets home in time for a group hug. Still, there are others who say, yes, let's have more sex, guns, blood and guts on TV. This kind of person watches the "Beavis and Butt-head" marathon, burns down a few houses, and finishes the day torturing small woodland creatures. Then, there's me. I say yes and no. Yes to violence on TV. No to children being allowed to watch it. I happen to enjoy "Beavis and Butt-head," but the thought of arson or animal torture has never crossed my mind.
I have a major problem with parents who let their children watch shows that are known to be violent, but then blame the network, the writer, and everyone else but themselves when their kid burns down twelve houses, and says that they saw someone do it on TV. The parents should have more discretion and control over what their children watch. On the flip side, the TV networks should have a little more common sense, and not show these violent shows on a Saturday morning right after "Garfield," and the "Muppet Babies." They should play these programs after the small, impressionable children are fast asleep. Don't get me wrong. I'm not placing the blame solely on the TV networks, or the parents. They both have to be responsible, and should stop blaming each other for a problem they could be working to solve themselves.