Reply | Teen Ink

Reply MAG

I feel that a teenager should be tried as an adult in a murder case at the age of twelve.

At twelve, I think a kid knows exactly what murder is all about. I also think that someone at that age is old enough to be responsible for his or her own actions. If teens are tried and prosecuted as adults for crimes starting at an early age, it will make other teens think twice before deciding to, for example, carry a weapon or take someone's life. Crimes such as these are very common in today's society. I do not think that teenagers should get off easily after committing terrible crimes just because of their age.

We are faced with a very serious issue today and it is time to take some positive, legal action. We must try to make our schools safe again for children. Running away from our fears is not going to solve our problems. We have to bring them out in the open and support our government in making new laws for the safety of all the citizens of the United States.

We can't let kids get away with murder. Lives are being lost, some because of kids. Just because someone is at a younger age doesn't give them the right to be able to go out and murder someone and practically get away with it!

Teenagers should definitely be tried as adults at the age of twelve, if not earlier, for they know what goes on and what they are doing and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent depending on the seriousness of the crime. n