Sixteen Years Old: Driving, Working, and...Voting? | Teen Ink

Sixteen Years Old: Driving, Working, and...Voting?

By anne_6638 BRONZE, Bolton, Massachusetts
anne_6638 BRONZE, Bolton, Massachusetts

What are some significant things you can do when you turn 16? You can get your driver's license, legally change your name, drive a moped, work and get paid minimum wage (even if you are still in school), pay taxes (if you are working), and in some states, you can get married. That means that you are almost an adult in those aspects. 

But you can’t vote.

Voting is a key element of democracy, and it gives people a say in their government. The voting age used to be 21 but was lowered to 18 in 1971. One reason for this change was because teen boys were getting drafted into the Vietnam War and they could not vote. If those teen boys were getting drafted into war, why could they not also have the right to vote? In discussions of voting, one controversial issue has been whether or not the voting age should be lowered to 16. On the one hand, younger generations argue that they deserve a say in their government. On the other hand, older people oppose 16-year-olds voting, saying they are too young to vote because they are not informed on the issues and candidates and aren’t mature enough to make choices. I believe that the voting age should be lowered to 16 for the young adults who want to have a say in their government (introduction of the debate). 

Gen Z is reaching adulthood, so why can’t we be treated like adults? Most of us are informed enough to be responsible voters, and the kids who do not want to vote, do not have to if they do not want to. We young adults want to prove that we can be valuable members of society by voting. It is often thought that 16-year-olds are not valuable members of society because we do not have important skills that we need for adulthood because we are still maturing emotionally, physically, cognitively. I mean, if we can pay taxes, drive a car, and change our name, why can we not vote? Some may dispute my claim that 16 year olds can be politically responsible and active voters. On the one hand, I understand why adults may tell us to wait because they think two years does not make a difference because we are young, and can learn those skills from our parents/guardians. On the other hand, 18 may be too late for young people who may have to vote in the next Presidential election. Our country was founded by people who did not want taxation without representation, and that is what is happening with working 16-year-olds. If you are old enough to drive and if you are old enough to work, then you are old enough to vote. 

With today’s technology, social media platforms allow more access for teens to show their opinion and also learn more about what is going on in the news; therefore, teens are now ready to vote and express their opinion because of how prepared they will be. Many teens were invested in the recent 2020 Presidential election and wanted the election to turn out in the best way for them. They used social media outlets, such as Instagram, to voice their opinions. This influences followers on social media outlets to form their own opinions. If we are given the right tools (such as access to information on candidates, what the candidates will do if they win, how to see if the news they’re reading is real news or fake news, etc.), then I do not see why we can not have the right to vote because we are being given good resources from social media to form our own opinions. Those young people were so invested because this election decided how their future would play out in some aspects (such as transgender laws). If teens are invested in something, then they will do anything to make sure it works out in the right way - the way they believe it should. Using social media as a way to spread information and promote a cause is a positive way that teens can influence others about political issues. 

The right to vote is a privilege for Americans, and I feel like 16-year-olds (if they really want to) should be able to participate in that privilege. There is a definite stigma about 16-year-olds voting (because of how immature the next generation can act, and how ill-prepared for voting some may be), but I believe that some young people could help end that stigma. Those young people could prove that we teenagers are capable of being able to vote, and are actually more informed on election information more than people think. Having the right to vote matters because it gives a voice to all Americans for a choice in our government. American people choose representatives. Our government is designed to be by the people and for the people. In our country's 245 year history, different groups of people have had to fight for the right to vote; now, it is time for 16-year-olds to join the fight!