My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

Imagine you’re walking through tall grass. An open field where the winds are blowing everything around you. You walk in peace. You see an empty lake; a hole in the ground looks like a lot of hard working hands dug, but yet isn’t serving its purpose. 

The origin of my name has always been related to some type of water. In Greek it means “broken land” and in English it means “one who lives by the water”. It really isn’t a common name, which is why I love it.

My name has a “young” sense to it. It doesn’t seem like an elderly name, it has a sense of adventure and youth connected to it. It’s like a backpacker climbing a cliff with one string that they’re trusting with their life. Now, you don’t see an 80+ year old doing that. Only a young person with strong bones and the tolerance to do that will you see climbing a cliff. 

My name is gender-neutral. I’ve never met a boy with my name. I’ve definitely heard “brooks” but that’s it. A lot of people coordinate my name with the very popular city in New York. The Brooklyn bridge is a tourist attraction, and it comes from that city as well.  

When I think of my name I think of dark olive green. My favorite color. Peace is what comes to my mind. 

My name is soft but rough like paper. I’m a very soft, kind, gentle person. But if you get me upset or hurt someone I love I get very rough. I can be very rough if you hurt me or for any other reason at all. 

My name doesn’t have a very secretive meaningful origin behind it. It’s simple but uncommon.

I'm a Junior at AHS. This is being published for my Composition class.