Saving for Today and Tomorrow | Teen Ink

Saving for Today and Tomorrow

June 6, 2022
By 22avaali BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
22avaali BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We all know life is not cheap and money doesn't grow on trees. Although money isn't the source of happiness in life, money will provide you with many opportunities that bring about happiness. You have to take a leap at opportunities as you jump into the direction of being disciplined and saving money. People should learn to not expect money to fall into your lap. Money is earned.


There are many people whose lives lack discipline. Discipline in a child's life allows them to learn right from wrong, but also learn ways to prepare one for the future where many will be all on their own. One way in preparing for your future is saving money; the more years you spend saving, the more grateful you will be in the long run. Creating habits of saving money will become one of the most rewarding accomplishments in your life. 


Behavioral expert Elizabeth Gravier at Duke University explains the positive outcome of automating your savings. Gavier highly recommends automated savings because of how easily our brains convince ourselves that we can spend now and save later. When you eliminate choice you eliminate the idea of “decision paralysis” which is the lack of savings altogether. 


Time is money, money is time, and until you experience the joy of being financially stable or the stress of being broke, you might not comprehend the importance of a savings account. Like the online bank known as Discover explains, “The importance of saving money is simple: It allows you to enjoy greater security in your life.” Security isn't necessarily just when you find yourself in a crisis. Security can also mean that you're able to live more freely. When you have the money to take more “risks” in life without the worry of your financial stability, you might experience life-changing opportunities. 


It wasn't until I was nearing the end of my senior year, filling out applications, comparing tuitions, that I had the realization of how easily my future will bleed me of my money. College isn't cheap and life after isn’t any cheaper. I wish I'd been better prepared both mentally and financially. 


Jobs can take a step in the right direction to guide the security of our family, friends and children. Everyone earns a paycheck with the knowledge that you can spend it at your own free will, but what has that changed? What if each and every paycheck required you to save a certain percentage of that hard earned money? You have no say in that tiny amount of money automatically impacting your future positively but you have a say in whatever you decide to spend the rest of that money on, the rest is yours. This promotes the ideas of saving money, saving for their future whether that be college or starting a living right out of highschool. 


There are many people who spend months, a year, maybe even years at a job and do not manage to save any hard earned money. There are so many missed opportunities within this situation. Even if you don't believe you need the money now, there may come a time where you want that new car, a home, or have a child's education to pay for. Be smart with your money, it will pay out in the end. 

Work Cited

“3 Reasons Why You Should Save Money | Discover.” Discover Card, discover.com/online-banking/banking-topics/3-reasons-to-save-more-money/. Accessed 16 May 2022.


“Behavioral Research Expert: Tricks for Saving Money.” CNBC, cnbc.com/select/behavioral-research-expert-tricks-for-saving/. Accessed 25 May 2022.


The author's comments:

My name is Ava Alibrio, I am a senior at Manchester High School who believes in the importance of savings and came to a quick realization nearing the end of my high school career just how crucial it is to prepare financially for your future.