Vegetarianism | Teen Ink

Vegetarianism

March 22, 2010
By MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York
MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Lately, it seems as though vegetarians have been popping up everywhere. Although many individuals condone this, I do not. This is because most of these people are only becoming vegetarians because it’s a challenge and they think it’s the “cool” thing to do. Personally, I think that people should only become vegetarians if they truly believe it’s right and moral. I, myself, am a pescetarian which is a vegetarian that also eats fish, and have been since sixth grade, I am currently in tenth grade. I was raised eating meat and to be honest, the switch was extremely difficult. I still found meat delicious but I couldn’t help but think about the animal that was killed just so I could have a meal. I have always loved animals and I couldn’t bear consuming them any longer. The reason for me still eating fish is because if I didn’t I would be malnourished. However, I get a lot of criticism because I eat fish. Being a pescetarian is hard enough, becoming a full-on vegetarian is even more difficult. Many vegetarians become malnourished because they don’t eat right and don’t get enough protein. That is why individuals should only become vegetarians if they truly believe in the cause, otherwise it isn’t worth it. Another thing many people don’t realize is that becoming a vegetarian doesn’t change the fact that animals are still being slaughtered and consumed. Becoming a vegetarian does not save the lives of animals, people like to think it does but that simply is not the case. Just because you aren’t personally eating animals does not mean that they won’t be eaten by someone else. It’s best to just accept this fact.