Vegetarianism | Teen Ink

Vegetarianism

By MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York
MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York

Lately, it seems as though vegetarians have been popping up everywhere. Although many individuals condone this, I do not. This is because most of these people are only becoming vegetarians because it’s a challenge and they think it’s the “cool” thing to do. Personally, I think that people should only become vegetarians if they truly believe it’s right and moral. I, myself, am a pescetarian which is a vegetarian that also eats fish, and have been since sixth grade, I am currently in tenth grade. I was raised eating meat and to be honest, the switch was extremely difficult. I still found meat delicious but I couldn’t help but think about the animal that was killed just so I could have a meal. I have always loved animals and I couldn’t bear consuming them any longer. The reason for me still eating fish is because if I didn’t I would be malnourished. However, I get a lot of criticism because I eat fish. Being a pescetarian is hard enough, becoming a full-on vegetarian is even more difficult. Many vegetarians become malnourished because they don’t eat right and don’t get enough protein. That is why individuals should only become vegetarians if they truly believe in the cause, otherwise it isn’t worth it. Another thing many people don’t realize is that becoming a vegetarian doesn’t change the fact that animals are still being slaughtered and consumed. Becoming a vegetarian does not save the lives of animals, people like to think it does but that simply is not the case. Just because you aren’t personally eating animals does not mean that they won’t be eaten by someone else. It’s best to just accept this fact.

MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York
Thanks! I was actually raised eating a lot of meat so it was my decision to make the switch. The rest of my family still eats a lot of meat and I make my own meals everyday. I also believe that this is one of the major factors contributing to the fact that I very rarely get ill.

pmkenzie said...
pmkenzie, ,, Other

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love." - Professor A. Dumbledore

Well, then good for you. :) I've been a vegetarian my whole life, so it's really easy for me to say that.  But good job; you'll be able to do it someday. :)

MelissaHoll BRONZE, New City, New York
Thanks for the comment! :) Where I live people don't seem to realize how to eat healthily and so when they become vegetarians they typically end up eating carbohydrates for the most part which is not good for you. I suppose it all depends on how you were raised and where you live; I personally buy a lot of really good quality, organic meat substitutes and I don't eat fish as often as I used to. However, I don't know if I'm quite ready to give it up all together just yet.

pmkenzie said...
pmkenzie, ,, Other

I have yet to meet a vegetarian who was malnourished.  Vegetarian substitutes, beans, and lots of other things provide us with the amount of protein we need.  If a vegetarian were malnourished, then they're probably just eating processed foods.  And if they only eat processed foods, then they're probably not a vegetarian.  Soo, yeah, not many vegetarians are.  You should try not eating fish!  It's actually easy once you get used to it. :)