Adoption | Teen Ink

Adoption

October 20, 2008
By Anonymous

Take a minute to stop and think. Imagine how your life would be if you were adopted and don’t know who your real parents are. Think about if you know your parents gave you up; didn’t want you. Many children have to deal with knowing that they are adopted. How would you feel if you were them? These adopted children have to deal with the pain and the heartbreak that comes with knowing that your parents didn’t want you.

Adopted children should have the right to know who their biological parents are. They should be able to know where they came from. Unless there is a reason for their parents giving them up, the children should be able to contact them if they want to get to know their biological parents.

The only reasons adopted children shouldn’t be able to contact their biological parents is if 1) their real parents are drunks 2) their real parents are druggies 3) their real parents are a bad influence in some way 4) or if their parents are dead.

Everyone deserves the right to know who they came from and most kids want to know who they could grow up to be like. They need someone that they are related to, to be able to look up to. Its better to be able to look up to a real relative, than an adopted one because you have a stronger bond with someone who is related to you by blood as supposed to someone who is related to you only legally.


The author's comments:
i write this because i never really had the chance to know my real dad becazuse of many reasons. im not adopted but my parents are seperated and i know how it feels to not know who your real parents are.