Computers For All | Teen Ink

Computers For All

March 17, 2014
By Aarif BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
Aarif BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Computers! They are something we all have! It’s how we shop, play games, bank, learn and expand our knowledge, and how we generally live our lives. The computer is the best invention (in my opinion) since sliced bread! But, how come only we get to have the fun and accessibility that a computer provides us with? Just because our country has already been developed, doesn’t mean that we get all the good stuff. Also, other people who live in developed countries don't even have computers! So that is why I believe that each person, whether they be a boy or girl should be able to have access to a computer!
Because technology is evolving nearly everyday, computers are now a necessity in the modern world. This means that children nowadays must be educated to be able to cope and be experienced in this world. That is why I think kids everywhere should be able to have access to computers, whether it be in schools, or their homes. You would be surprised at how much a simple laptop can make such an impact on a child’s education! It shows that students grades, attitude, and overall success improves tremendously with these in the classroom. I think that the best part is that most companies and foundations like the “One Laptop Per Child” organization are trying their best to give computers to children in developing countries for under 150 dollars per laptop (NYT).

On top of that, computers are how we now communicate. That’s why that even seniors deserve the ability to have that unit in front of them and being able to chat, call, send pictures, or even update their status, whenever they want to. Also, having a computer can allow them to have the freedom you have with your computer, but in their own hands.

Computers have revolutionized the world so now we can do things that the human race has only dreamed of doing without them. For example, with them, we can actually write something amazing without anybody caring about our handwriting. Also, computers has made it so we can take our education right here at home, or wherever you live to a whole new level! Alas, with all these benefits there is one major problem. This problem is that, with all these computers, there must be some sort of internet connection to make them work up till their full capacity. Of all 100% of broadband in the world, developing countries only have about 6% to use (globalpartnership.org). Unfortunately, it will be hard to conquer this problem because of how much it will cost, but I hope everybody in the world will have access to a computer!

Sources:

https://www.globalpartnership.org/blog/one-computer-child-poor-countries-it-really-%E2%80%9Cworth-it%E2%80%9D

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/29/business/worldbusiness/29iht-laptop.3715605.html?pagewanted=all


The author's comments:
This is an important topic