The Death Penalty: Would You Rather | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty: Would You Rather

By SanrioBabie SILVER, Ellensburg, Washington
SanrioBabie SILVER, Ellensburg, Washington

"Life's a garden, dig it?"

-Joe Dirt

Creeeeeeeeeaakkkk……….

Suddenly, you wake up, terrified. Heart pounding out of your chest, shivering and very aware that your skin is tacky with a cold perspiration. Still a little weary, you chalk up the blood-curdling sound to be the wind. It’s just paranoia, the penitentiary is three miles away, there's no chance. You roll over, wrapping your arm around your significant other for some form of comfort and realize their chest is sticky and wet. Panicking when they don’t wake up as you shake their arm, you roll over and turn on the lamp that rests on the bedside table. The bright light flickers on as you peer over your shoulder to see their chest covered in blood, and they have stopped breathing. As your eyes dart around the room for some explanation, you notice a track of muddy footprints leads in and out of the bedroom door. They were murdered. Could you imagine experiencing such a tragedy? I certainly could not bare such a sudden loss. This is just one of a myriad of reasons that the death penalty is a crucial form of punishment in the court of law that society cannot afford to lose.

The first reason for discussion is that murderers are not fit to live in society or around other people, even if the aforementioned persons are criminals. One article on newsweekly stated that over 31% of murderers got a sense of enjoyment from killing their victim(s). How can one justify letting somebody who is pleasured by taking the life of another human being be around other people? If these dangerous inmates are granted life in prison there is a high likeliness that they could kill again if around other people. It is also articulated in an article on owlcation, that in a period of several years, 59 hardened criminal and murderers were released from prison, just to kill again! These people feel no remorse for the unacceptable things they have done. They have no morals, no empathy, no sense of humanity. Life in prison does not make the world a better place if wicked people still inhabit it. Simply by learning these things, you should be convinced, but there are many more reasons to keep capital punishment.

The death penalty is more effective than any other sentence for capital offenses due to the possibility of escapes. One statistic from the Washington Post showed that an annual average of escapes from prison in the united states is two thousand! After acquiring that knowledge is it so hard to imagine somebody being murdered by an escaped convict? It is absolutely unacceptable to place an innocent humans life at risk for an opinion that states “capital punishment is murder”. Because, as just proven, life in prison is murder of the innocent. Furthermore nypost elaborated that of the two thousand of the yearly escaped convicts from American federal prisons, one hundred and thirty of them are murderers. Is life in prison even an effective punishment if over one thousand murderers escape prison every decade? If you can justify the death of your child, your mother, your sibling, an innocent human being, just to stop a murderer from being put to death for their heinous crimes, then how can you claim to have taken the moral high ground?

It is understandable why one would say that the death penalty should be abolished. They argue that we don’t burn an arsonists house to the ground, we don’t steal from thieves. So why would we murder a murderer? Simply put, the death penalty is not murder. In one case taken by the supreme court the way capital punishment was being carried out (hangings) was cruel, but after the death penalty was changed, it is still a very legal punishment. This is because, there is a difference between killing and murder. Murdering someone  is awful, and it is what serial killers do. On phsychologyofakiller it is paraphrased that the majority of killers feel no remorse. There is even one quote by Ted Bundy, notorious serial killer, where he stated that he has not a single regret for killing people, and that he feels bad for those who do regret their crimes. How can it be moral to not kill these insidious people who have committed such inadmissible offenses?

The loss of human life is and always will be a sad thing to the majority of the population, but not to those who take it in cold blood or passion. Without the death penalty the world would be a more unsafe place, and innocent people do not deserve to live their life in constant fear of being killed. Would you rather lose the life of one terrible person who kills with no remorse, or the lives of several undeserving people who were murdered? If you didn’t choose the latter, convince me otherwise.