Civil Rights | Teen Ink

Civil Rights

By GTaylor BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
GTaylor BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Again, America finds itself swept away, and entering another Civil Rights movement.
In late August, 1968, Dr. King gave his infamous "I have a Dream" speech. Now, In early September, we find ourselves back in 1968. We still have people in America who are treated as Second class humans. As we speak, the Gay rights movement begins. We also have movements for Religions, who are taking a stand, to say that they are just as good as the Christians who dominate America. We now are back where we were 41 years ago. America is on a decision point...Will we decide to Legalize Gay Marriage, or will we decide not? Will we begin to let in all cultures again, or will we close our borders, becoming the America, we never thought we would be?
As a Teen, you stand right in the middle of it. With all the Civil Rights movements going on, it is up to you to get your voice heard, because no one else will do that for you. Take A stand, a write what you think. Because we are not in 1968. We are in 2009. The Year of change.

With Civil Rights Movements starting and ending, it was about time we talked about this,

Coker said...
Coker, Dublin, Ohio

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"-MythBusters

And I was hoping that this article talked about the real Civil Rights movement of today know as Youth Rights. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out www.youthrights.org!

GTaylor BRONZE said...
GTaylor BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
I miss-pharsed the closing statement. I know a lot about 60's culture, I was meaning to say that times for change are happening again, and this time it has different aspects. Thank you for your comments

Sunshineyday said...
Interesting article. i agree that we need to not only create a legal status of equality, but a social aura of acceptance and tolerance. however i disagree with your closing statement. 1968-69 were actually HUGE years of change, and ushered in a cultural revolution. read up on 60's pop-culture and you'll know what I mean.

I do feel we're about to have another round of big change, soon. and as members of the generation we are obligated to be a part of it.

GTaylor BRONZE said...
GTaylor BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Sorry, I did not mean Infamous, I meant Famous. Thank you.