The Drama over Fine Arts | Teen Ink

The Drama over Fine Arts

June 28, 2011
By Philosophication GOLD, McKinney, Texas
Philosophication GOLD, McKinney, Texas
12 articles 3 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This above all: To thine own self be true."
William Shakespeare's Hamlet

"To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid."
Miscellaneous


I believe that the Fine Arts should survive the recent round of budget cuts. Fine Arts allow teens to express themselves in creative ways, allowing a new generation of artists, singers, actors, and others, enriching the culture of the world for years to come. However, it seems as if school boards don't think that Fine Arts is not important enough to keep in the budget. I would like to point out, though, that Athletic programs are practically untouched. May I mention the booster clubs for said Athletic programs create a good amount of revenue, whereas all Fine Arts cannot create substantial revenue by themselves. One could logically think to cut the athletics budget, and let the booster clubs take up some of the slack, and keep the Fine Arts program afloat. As a student in the Theatre program, I know that the necessities for any show, i.e. props, costumes, sets, royalties, are not covered by ticket sales, and the raft that is the budget is deflating at an alarming rate. If the Fine Arts budget were to completely disappear, not only would so many aspiring artists of all kinds lose the chance to gain the skills necessary, it would open the door to the depletion of the Special Education budget, including the Gifted and Talented program. Being a Gifted student, I would know how difficult it would be to be in mainstream classes. Gifted children think differently, and at a higher rate than then most people. If the GT classes were to cease, great intellect and creativity would go to waste, creating a group of incredibly brilliant, but under-challenged, unmotivated children. It would seem, from the trend in budget cuts, that schools are only willing to accept athletic excellence, and will ignore all other forms of achievement. Do we really want a country based on mediocrity? Do we want to waste the amazing skills of those who are a part of the Fine Arts and GT? America is a truly exceptional. Shouldn't the people who make it up be exceptional as well?

The author's comments:
I am a part of Theatre, Choir, and the Gifted and Talented program. However, if they were to be cut, there is a good chance that I could not afford collage, as most of the ways I could make a career, and get scholarships, would vanish. I would like to collage, and so would many other Fine Arts and GT kids, but not all of them can afford tuition, without these programs.