Black Hate | Teen Ink

Black Hate

August 4, 2011
By julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
17 articles 17 photos 223 comments

Favorite Quote:
The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.


“I’m not going to the dance with Kari. She’s black! And plus she’s really annoying-“ These are the kinds of rude comments that get thrown around casually in the high-school scene. I have heard many more that I do not care to share. And why share? Why should anybody share such demeaning, hateful thoughts with the world? Nobody likes to be in emotional pain, so why inflict such pain upon others? And where did all this pain begin?
The Atlantic slave trade began in the 16th century and continued on for centuries, resulting in the enslavement of around 12 million unfortunate people. These people were treated horribly by their slave masters. They were whipped and beaten, and often killed to be replaced by “fresh labor”. This major event in history created a massive rift between the whites and the blacks which tragically lingers on, diminishing and destroying humanity today.
One place in particular teems with a plethora of racism. This place is school. Today teenagers unconsciously spew forth the “n-word” like nobody’s business. Sometimes the word is even directed at a Negro, the greatest insult that person could receive. What surprises me most is not the ensuing brawl that would be expected to take place, but rather the lack of it. The whole situation seems to be looked over and ignored by both parties. It is almost like the event never happened at all. Have people become so conditioned to the regular disgorgement of verbal abuse that they just brush it off and move on? The thought is a truly chilling one.
I have been lucky and managed to avoid being the subject of racism, but I have indeed been subject to the sharp sting of verbal abuse several times. Whether the blow was direct or implied, the resulting hurt was at the same crushing level. The pain took a staggering amount of time to diminish, and an even longer time to vanish completely. So I can honestly relate to the victims of racism, and whether the racist slur is brushed off or not, I know that a certain amount of damage has been done nonetheless.
Racist discrimination is one of the lowest acts of humanity, spawned from the pretentious greed of our primal nature. In order for our world to bloom and prosper, we all need to shrug off the heavy weight of racism, spread our wings of love, and fly together in blissful union.

The author's comments:
Racism needs to end in order for our society to advance in a healthy and productive manner.