Racism is Alive and Well | Teen Ink

Racism is Alive and Well

January 12, 2010
By Andrew Harding BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Andrew Harding BRONZE, Houston, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Civil Rights movement was a giant movement in the 1900’s that tried to rid segregation. They may have gotten that, but racism is still alive and well. We see racism in our daily lives, from television to books, from country to country, from store to store, and even in our own schools. I’m talking about affirmative action. Affirmative action is something used by college admissions staffs to determine whether or not people will go to that college. There are a number of factors that go into this, such as race, sex, test scores, where you live, how smart you are, if your parents went to school there, and so on. It just depends on which school it is, most schools have a different “points scale.” I believe that we should rid affirmative action though. A lot of this stuff really doesn’t matter. How would you feel if some kid who got grades lower than yours got into a college above you?

There are a number of factors that go into why I do not believe in affirmative action. Firstly, there is a little something called “reverse” racism. Basically, African-Americans or some other cultural group are being racist to whites. Another factor that I don’t agree with in this situation is that some of the extra points given live up to the name extra. It’s almost like they were put there on purpose just so that a certain class of people could get an extra point boost on their college application. Take for example the family factor; if your parent went to school there you get a couple of points on your admissions. What do your parents have to do with how you have learned over the years? It’s not like because they went to school there you automatically become smarter. I also find affirmative action racist, it seems to be that the middle class white guy gets nothing out of it. Aren’t whites the minority now? Besides there are many people in this country that are illegal that shouldn’t be going to colleges. It’s just like saying “Hey foreigners, come over to my country and I will give you help to go to a school you don’t need to go to.”

Then, there is the diversity factor. I understand how some people believe that diversity is good, but a lot of people don’t really care who’s at the school because they are there to study and to better their life. With so many cultures there’s a possible culture shock for people that you have to consider.

Affirmative action only brings the best out of some people so why should we have it in the first place. You want into college? Make the grades. Smarter America = Brighter future.