Minorities Having Advantages | Teen Ink

Minorities Having Advantages

January 14, 2010
By karl.s SILVER, Houston, Texas
karl.s SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Should minorities have acceptations on getting extra points on their college application? Do they deserve the extra points to get in the college they want? Affirmative action are policies that develop to give preference to certain groups in college admission and hiring racial minorities, women, and those from poor families. I disagree with affirmative action; I think it should not be based on race, but instead on grades and test scores.

If you base affirmative action on race would it make racism worse? Yes, I believe that it would make racism in schools and college campuses a lot worse. For example, say a minority got accepted to a college. Other people might think that it is unfair because you got accepted with help of affirmative action, as for the nonminorities they had to work hard and have high test scores. On college campuses that would be a huge problem because it would create racism between other students.

Having racism on college campuses is not good so this is why all schools should look at grades and test scores instead of race and gender. I think that it is fare for the minority to go to the school he wants, but he has to deserve it and prove t the other schools that he is good enough. For example, say a minority and an average white American were applying to the same school, but the white American had a higher GPA and test score. Who would be accepted to the school? The minority would because he would get help from affirmative action. In this situation I think that the best decision would be to accept the smarter white American compared to the non-educated minatory. All schools and colleges should pick the smarter student and not have affirmative action for the minorities.


Are all minorities poor and disadvantaged? No, not all minorities are poor and disadvantaged. So does affirmative action still help them when they apply to different schools or colleges? Yes. For example, say an average white American and a non-poor nor disadvantaged minority apply to the same college and they have the same test scores. The college would pick the minority because he would still have help with affirmative action because he is a different race. Another example is say a white American is poor and disadvantaged. Would the American receive affirmative action? The American would not receive affirmative action because he not considered as a different race.

I disagree with affirmative action; I think it should not be based on race, but instead on grades and test scores. When schools and colleges apply affirmative action it is unfair for the other Americans. This is because all minorities receive extra points for there test scores and GPA when they apply and some Americans are smarter than the minorities, but they get help by affirmative action. Some of the minorities should not even receive the extra points because they are not poor or disadvantaged. After the minority receives his extra points and goes to the school or college all I think that would create is racism, because the other students would think of him as a non-educated student and he only got in with the help of affirmative action.