Beauty In the Eye of The Beholder | Teen Ink

Beauty In the Eye of The Beholder

By Sky_Skitsofrantic BRONZE, Huntsville, Arkansas
Sky_Skitsofrantic BRONZE, Huntsville, Arkansas

things that some one must always have:
1:eyeliner
2: lucky shoes
3: a SPORK!

A wise man once said that beauty was in the eye of the beholder. I was unaware of the meaning of this statement until the other day in my third period yearbook class.

Me and my friend Stormy were looking at many different hairstyles. We soon came across a “scene” girl posing with a beautiful array of neon highlights in her dark hair.

As we stared at this hair that could only be described as a piece of artwork, a boy rolled his chair over and when we asked him his opinion he said it wouldn’t be a good hairstyle to have in Huntsville.

What could that possibly mean? I’m saying is there some unspoken rule that tells us what is acceptable in a small town? I would have killed to have hair like that! Stormy agreed.

But why would that question rise in the first place? On the T.V we find and are entertained by people who sport absolutely crazy looks. But in are small town if one of us dares to were different clothes or die are hair a different color we are automatically dubbed the weird kid.

So in my mind there pops up another question: what would we do if a girl like this moved to our tiny town? Would we reject her? Would the teacher call her a “class distraction” and make her change her hair? Or would we take the time to get to know her? Would we be able to look under the piercings, makeup and hair dye to figure out what type of person she is? Or would you automatically stereotype her as weird?

My first article on Teen Ink......

things that some one must always have:
1:eyeliner
2: lucky shoes
3: a SPORK!

I understand, i think everyone has there own opinion. Thanks 4 reading!

things that some one must always have:
1:eyeliner
2: lucky shoes
3: a SPORK!

thank you TheLegacyLives! It's hard to get people to agree with me at times.

things that some one must always have:
1:eyeliner
2: lucky shoes
3: a SPORK!

Thanks! I know how you feel! i in a small town so any thing out of the norm is considerd a monstrosity.

Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When life gives you lemons make grape juice. Then sit back and watch everyone look at you in amazement. :)

Lol, I hope she wouldn't be viewed as a "class distraction" because I have had an array of different colors in my hair at some time. Blue, pink, purple... I just consider it another way of expressing myself.

-Lilac

P.s. But I know what you mean, when I went to my church with BIG chunks of blue in my hair, I got stares, and even some people who came up and told me that they did not approve of my hair color. It seems like people can be really narrow-minded sometimes.

TheMagnificantLamp, Miami, Florida
huh. I concur with the views this represents. I would probably develop a mild crush on that girl 

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
the guy obiously did not like the hairstyle and I agree with him bright and colorfull is just not me,bu on th other hand that was just his way of saying so