The Truth About Gay Discrimination | Teen Ink

The Truth About Gay Discrimination

August 19, 2011
By savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.


Recently, I’ve been hearing many different reasons why gays, lesbians, and bisexuals shouldn’t have rights in America. They vary in credibility and approach, but I have yet to hear one to convince me that they shouldn’t be gay or have rights.

One reason, is that the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. Marriage is a concept invented by humans. We define marriage. Definitions are changed quite frequently to include other things. An ironically good example is the word gay. Originally it meant to be merry or happy. Nowadays it more frequently means homosexual. There’s been a huge movement recently to increase gay rights. This means that there is an ever growing population that thinks that definitions need to be changed. America is a democracy. We are ruled by the majority. When the majority of people agree that gays should marry, the law banning gay marriage needs to change immediately. Some states have already made the leap, but can we as a country?

The second reason, is that it’s immoral. Morals vary from person to person, so why should your personal set of morals apply to someone else? I have nothing against morals; they are a very good basis for many of our laws. I think it’s immoral to kill someone, and when you commit murder, you go to jail. However, gays didn’t commit murder. I don’t think it’s immoral to be gay at all. By being gay, you don’t hurt anyone around you. So why is it wrong? Also, many people’s reason for it being immoral is because their religion is against it. But this is America, is it not? There’s a separation of church and state. Just because the Bible or the Qur’an says that it is wrong, does that mean that religions should influence our laws? If they do, then we should include all religions in that decision. Do you really want laws to be made that way? In addition to that, gays aren’t trying to legalize religious marriages. They’re trying to legalize state marriages. You know, where you get married in a courthouse? So religion shouldn’t be involved anyway. Religions can keep refusing to recognize gay marriages if they so choose.

The third reason, is that it will reduce the human population. If everyone is gay, then there will be no children and we will eventually go extinct, according to some people. Gays, lesbians, and bisexuals make up a very small percentage of the population. They have very little to no effect on the human population. It’s highly unlikely that the rest of the population is going to become gay anytime in the near future. So their effect is insignificant. And I don’t see what banning gay marriage is going to do to change that. They will continue being gay regardless. May I also point out, that the world population has topped seven billion? If anything, a reduction in population would be good for the rest of the world.

The fourth reason, is that they are detrimental to society. Some people think that being gay is a mental illness. This has not been proven to my knowledge. They also believe that gays are more likely to become ill with STD’s because of the nature of the relationship, and that gays are promiscuous and engage in risky sexual behaviors. It is true, that AIDS was first discovered in gays. But it is not limited to gays is it? Straight couples can get it just as easily. Also, things like condoms have been invented to help protect against sexual diseases. Gays are quite capable of using them for safe sex. As for them being promiscuous, all the gays, lesbians, and bisexuals I’ve met are looking for love just the same as we do. They are interested in a serious relationship with their partner and only their partner. Maybe some of them are promiscuous. But aren’t there promiscuous straight people? There are strip clubs that you can go to if you’re of age. There are movies rated R for a reason and it’s not because of the violence. Do they engage in risky sexual behaviors? Maybe some of them, but then again, they aren’t alone in that area. There are straight couples who do the same thing.

Altogether, these reasons merely look like an excuse to me for continued discrimination against gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. There is no valid reason under the law why they shouldn’t expand their rights. I’m not trying to force anything down people’s throats. I don’t ask people to change their opinion that homosexuality is wrong, merely that they tolerate people who think differently. The continued banning of gay rights is forcing their views on gays. Banning gay marriage prevents them on a personal level from spending the rest of their life with the person they love. Legalizing it doesn’t force straight people to marry someone of the same gender. I hope that people will finally grant homosexuals their rights and live up to the freedom that America promises its citizens.


The author's comments:
I just want equal rights for my friends and family.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


Anonomous said...
on Jul. 21 2013 at 2:50 am
You are right. They attack Catholics, ( born and raised Catholic myself) and some churches force opinions onto their followers. The thing that still stands is that we all sin differently, whether you believe we were born this way or not, we all sin in our own ways and God, ( or whomever you believe in)  still loves us, and that he forgives us. He created us this way, and he knew how we were supose to be before we were to be.  Love is love. Lets all just accept eachothers differences and live the lives that we feel that we're born to live. 

Sorry for rambling on and on but you asked for comments and this is how I feel. :)

on Jun. 12 2013 at 8:59 am
TheSihlouettedMan BRONZE, Hinckley, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is something more to the knowledge that allows us to see. Some rely on logic to be their eyes. Others believe they know what logic is. But to be completely faithful in logic, you must someday realize that it points to the incomprehensible."

Let bring up immediately that I am Catholic, please do not attack me immediately. But I would like to bring in a new subject if that is alright. I'm honestly not in interest to bringing these rights to reality. However, truth be told, I'm indifferent to their choices. I understand one can't easily control their desires. If this is what they wish let them find whom they choose. I would just like to bring up the fact that I'm not exactly happy with some activists trying to attack my religion, and I do believe there is some blame for both sides. But, it feels more like they're trying to force it on me than, I'm just accepting it. Any comments?

on Jan. 12 2012 at 10:22 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Yes of course you may call me Liz, it's my ti name. It just gets annoying after a while I guess for people to keep calling me savetheplanet. :) Thank you for the compliments, to me it's just illogical the kinds of arguments that people you to support their continued discrimination.

Critter10 said...
on Jan. 12 2012 at 10:14 pm
Critter10, Roanoke, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Liz (May I call you that?..), this article is great and I'm glad I discovered it. Love is love and if that love happens to occur between people of the same gender then so what? It is still a beautiful thing, to see or feel a bond between two people, the connection, emotions, etc. all which describe the undescribable emotion of love.

on Sep. 8 2011 at 7:47 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Thank you so much for the support!  This article has gotten a lot less traffic now that it's been taken down from the front page.  Christianity is made up of people.  And people make mistakes.  So I don't personally believe that Christianity is against g.ays, but there are Christians who think so.

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Sep. 8 2011 at 7:46 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other
12 articles 4 photos 206 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

This summarizes your point perfectly! I agree with every word you say!

My mother is Christian, so she thinks being ga.y is a sin, but if God believes that you shouldn't be able to love whoever you want, then God must be cruel.


on Aug. 26 2011 at 11:23 am
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Oh, thanks so much.  :)  I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of outrage over this article.  So many of the others have gotten a ton of debates going on.

on Aug. 26 2011 at 12:37 am
ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

You, my friend, deserve all the awards for this. :)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 9:07 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Yes please do. :D

on Aug. 23 2011 at 9:05 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Yeah, definitely hypocritical. I agree with that. 

You're welcome. :) I think I'll read some more of your works. :)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 9:04 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I agree, it's immoral to hurt yourself.  But they aren't.  We just have to disagree on that.  Straight people being promiscuous, I put that in because I feel that it's hypocritical to say they can't be.  And thank you for the compliments Destinee. :)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 8:58 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

It's funny to read my arguments thrown back in my face. :) I remember saying some of these. 

And you're a good writer. address the point clearly. 

I do want to point out that the point about STDs is that g.ay people are inherently more likely to get STDs. Nothing to do with "protection".

I also don't think the fact that straight people are promiscuous should be a reason we legalise other immoral things.

And as for morals being different, come on dude. We've discussed this so much. It's immoral to hurt yourself. 

But overall, really well-written. I see why it was chosen for the main page. :)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 6:46 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

The last paragraph is pretty much what I think everytime someone says I'm forcing something down their throat.  I really hate that line, forcing it down your throat.  It's become like a thing for the other side to say.  It's very annoying.

on Aug. 23 2011 at 6:41 pm
How I feel about it exactly. The last paragraph especially sums up how I feel.

on Aug. 23 2011 at 4:12 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Thanks, I kept it open so that anyone could read it.

Aidyl BRONZE said...
on Aug. 23 2011 at 4:05 pm
Aidyl BRONZE, Oshawa, Other
4 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you want a friend be a friend."

-Poster


"That's cool. Hey you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed!"
-Dwight Schrute The Office

I completely agree with what you said in this article. I really don't have a problem with people being g.ay. I loved how open-minded you were in this article. Thanks for posting it, I think that they should have put it in the mag. 

on Aug. 22 2011 at 8:53 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Aw thanks Raven, I've felt the need to write this article for a while.

on Aug. 22 2011 at 8:49 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
40 articles 2 photos 1632 comments

Favorite Quote:
"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I'm so very glad, that you chose to speak out, Liz! It certainly takes courage to do so, and I think it's ridiculous that there is still a need to in the modern world. The Raven simply must thank you for writing this logical and open-minded article.