Discrimination of Women and Children in India | Teen Ink

Discrimination of Women and Children in India

By Ace_of_Aces BRONZE, Alappuzha, Other
Ace_of_Aces BRONZE, Alappuzha, Other

India is a sovereign and civilized country. Yet women and children are still exploited in many parts of India. Women are forbidden to study, express their ideas or even fight for their rights in their society in some regions. Children are sent to work, forced to do labor and are bullied by elders or friends.

India, still boasting to have a powerful and strong constitution, is not even giving any heed to this problem. Those women, who are exploited, live with a broken heart. Their hopes and dreams shattered. Children who dream of having great jobs like pilots, doctors, engineers and businessmen are ending up in the slums and sewers. Women are not given any freedom. They are put hostage in the four walls of her house. They are only expected to do household work and are not given any freedom to choose their work.

Women from poor families are often lured into traps and they are forced to be prostitutes or even slaves. Children are used to transport drugs and liquor to avoid attention from law. Children sometimes are harassed and exploited even by their parents. There have been incidents of parents torturing and even killing their children due to some reasons.

Those children who transport these drugs and other illegal products, becomes drug lords and gang leaders in the future. They get used to this work and will wish to continue it if they get good payment. They compose the underworld society which exists today. Studies tell that majority criminals that exist today had a criminal background from their childhood.

Some children are bullied because of their religion, caste and color. They will be mentally depressed due to this continuous harassment which may result in bad outcomes. These children will lose interest in studies, and intense harassment may lead to mental diseases.

Some illiterate parents send their children to do labor because of poverty. They may not have done this if they knew the value of literacy. Illiterate parents don’t know the value of literacy and send their children to do labor to earn more money. Some children are also kidnapped to do forced labor.

Women in some regions are given less wages. They are not given priority like men. The main reason for this is the feeling that women would not quarrel like men if they get low wages. Another majority of women in India is discriminated on the basis of dowry system. Many girls don’t get bridegrooms due to their lack of money.

Thus I hope that we will uphold the divinity and importance of women and children in all spheres of life and achieve a greater and memorable future.