Human Nature | Teen Ink

Human Nature

January 16, 2016
By redneck.cupcake01 SILVER, Wildwood, Florida
redneck.cupcake01 SILVER, Wildwood, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At no time in the history of man kind has there been total peace and equality. The Holocaust is a perfect example of human nature; to this day it still evokes despair, anger, shame, and even logic. 

 Shame we all carry it. We are living our everyday lives and it can pop into our head at any second in time. The shame of surviving. The daughter who watches her mother get burned, the prisoner in death march that didn't get shot, or the guard that secretly helped them all. Surviving isn't always a good thing. You live knowing that your best friend got burned alive or brother shot. You live your life questioning why you were special. You convince yourself that you have done wrong... Or that could have done more.

 Despair we all feel it. Something so deep.... So never ending that your soul cries. How many people warmed themselves with the smoke that came from the dead prisoners in the crematory? How many Nazis killed their mothers to survive? We all think about how bad it must have been for the prisoners. But what about the Nazis that were told to fight or to be killed. What about perspective from the ones killing, hurting and bringing a tear to your eye. You think their soulless, mean and even harsh. But if you were told to fight or kill your own family- what would you choose? Despair ; to have no hope for escape.

 Anger we all have it. It's that moment in life were all that harshness and stupidity finally sets in. It's all those times were children were hanging on the gallows between life and death. All those moments were they could of spoke out but choose not to. It's the tear that rns down your face when you see what the Nazis have done, and them not having a good reason for it. Anger ; not something to just be felt, but to seen.

 We all ask why things happen. Why people get killed, burned alive and even starved. But what we don't realize is that it's just logic. Just something that happened because its war. Timesnin war aren't happy and cheerful. And that shouldn't be expected. Because shame, anger, despair...and logic are just other words for human nature.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece from the book night by Elie Wiesel. I have always had a passion to write my opinion on certain topic s and things I feel very strongly about. And I believe that everything I've said can not only relate to the Holocaust but also to people in general who might believe that all these things such as anger etc are sometimes just human nature and come naturally and it might help people get a grasp of logic.