WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You have apparently misread my article, because at no point do I encourage this behaviour, I only defend it. It is simply ignorant to deny the fact that both drugs and alcohol are a source of fun and creativity for many, but by no means all, people. I am a strong believer in this, and do accept that they should only be used in moderation although many don’t.<br />
The assumption that I am an addicted drug-abuser and/or alcoholic is simply incorrect – I have neither the time nor money for it. However, you (very kindly) have complimented me on this article (in terms of the structure and style) under that assumption, so are you not contradicting yourself? You have stated that you believe me to be indulging myself in illegal substances and have, under their influence, produced this article full of “such beautiful phrases” - Practically admitting that you accept that drugs and/or alcohol can be a good source of inspiration and creativity.<br />
The accusation that I am a murderer is both hyperbolic and insulting. Do you really think that others reading this article are stupid enough to take it as gospel-truth? Of course they are not; they are just as intelligent as you and can make up their own minds.<br />
“Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs?” was merely to highlight how often drugs are integral to creativity. By no means was I saying that they are vital or suggesting that only great literature and music is produced by drug-addicts.<br />
I am not a coward. Yet another example of your, apparently chronic, exaggeration. Am I really a coward because I enjoy getting drunk and doing stupid things with my mates? Am I really a coward because I occasionally get high with my mates and laugh, talk and think about things that were never before laughed at, talked about or thought about? Am I really a coward because I don’t hide behind the ridiculous idea that God has some set path for me that I am disobeying by enjoying myself?<br />
Only in a restricted, indoctrinated and oppressed mind am I a coward. I seek no Heaven and I fear no  Hell , I just love living and will keep on trying to make my time alive as enjoyable as possible.<br />
Apart from you, everyone else who has commented on this article has understood the real point of it: that “we should loosen up and not patronize each other” (thanks ShaeMusicLover!). <br />
You are a perfect example of the preaching, patronising character that I detest and attack in this article. What gives you the right to both condemn me, and those who may agree with me, and insist that you must try and help me? By whose authority do you have that right?<br />
Keep your God to yourself.<br />
Keep your prayers to yourself.<br />
Thanks.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Stop being so melodramatic, neither am I a drug addict or encouraging the use of them - I'm only defending peoples' choice to.

The main point of this article was to hopefully prevent the mass of patronising trash (which we have all heard before) that is clogging up this website.

Nice to know you care though :)

emjay1216 SILVER, Eugene, Oregon

Often times, the test of courage is not to die, but to live.
~ Vittorio Alfieri

hey,

i am an artist and the way i see it, musik is my "drug" you could say. its what helps me escape w/o harming my self or anyone else. so i dont really agree with u. and drugs are bad 4 u anyways. i know you've heard it before, but it is soooo true. dont u wanna have a long life? and be happy? im sitting here crying. u dont know me, and i dont know you but PLEASE LISTEN!!! i have family that were on drugs and it completely messed them up. pppllleeeeeaaasssee stop, get help something. please. ill b praying 4u.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Keep your God to yourself.<br />
Keep your prayers to yourself.<br />
Thanks.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Keep your God to yourself.<br />
Keep your prayers to yourself.<br />
Thanks.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

As the others say, you are brave in posting this. But you are also not very intelligent in doing so either. I know you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine; and I won't try to change that. Most of what you say is true. Teenagers are doing things like these for the fun of it. But to encourage them? How could you? Do you really think you can defend yourself by saying this provides inspiration? Sure you are a great writer. Talent is evident in the structure of you piece if not the content. But to subject yourself to illegal substances purely for a high of inspiration? Surely a mind who can think of such beautiful phrases would be wise enough to stay away. If you continue to expose yourself to such substances you are forsaking any chance you have to grow in your writing. I can tell you right now that you will never become the person God intended you to be on this path. You could do great things. And I can't tell you how sad this makes me to see that you would post this. Go ahead! Ruin your own life. If you are so decided than I cannot stop you. But don't you dare take a step towards the innocent and hopeful on this site! By persuading them to think in the mindset towards others you are killing their future. You're a murderer! Do you not realize that someone will read this, agree with you, and then walk all the more willingly towards their death? I hope you are ashamed. You say "...good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!" Congratulations. On this path you will die. You will die soon, according to statistics. And just so you know, when you die, what affect will your writing have then? As I said to begin, some say you are brave in posting this. But the only thing I now see is cowardice. You are a coward. You're too afraid to face this life. You are too afraid to be forgotten. You are so frightened that you feel the need to push yourself to these limits so that you will be remembered. You believe that by taking part in these deeds you're writing and enjoyment of life will be increased. And sure for a short time you will feel 'excitement' but when the thrill of defiance wears off all you'll have left is the addiction. You question where art and literature will find itself without these sins. I can tell you that it has been doing fine without it. You give us all a bad name by making such statements. There are those of us who love life and literature alike. And I'm sure we'd all appreciate it if you left us out from these convictions. I am sorry for judging you. That was not my intention when writing this comment. But if I had past by this chance to try and help you I would always regret it. I know you think my beliefs as common, dull and laughable. And perhaps they are. I'm not sure you will take the time to read this comment but I hope that you did. And if I could ask one thing of you it is that you would look at my poem:

TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/97594/Pills-Are-My-Paintbrush/

I think it would bring you a better insight to your situation. I hope you don't disregard what I am trying to say. I hope with all my heart that you think about what I'm saying.

God bless and enjoy slavery,

I'll be praying for you and all who read this-

Jaquie...,

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thank you!

ShaeMusicLover SILVER, Spokane, WA, Washington
While I don't completely agree with your article, I applaud you for posting this, that takes some guts. I like the main message though about how we should loosen up and not patronize each other. 5 stars!!!

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Thank you very much and congratulations for getting published!

Sri Palanisamy SILVER, Sewickely, Pennsylvania
LOVE THIS ARTICLE

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

Sounds good, added you on msn...

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

cheers for the comment!

pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri

"Life is like a roller coaster. When you don't know what to do buckle up, close your eyes, and enjoy the ride."

I absolutely agree. I mean, everyone knows that its bad for you but you might as well get it out of your system before you have a family. What is the point of life if it is boring and dull. Have some fun. after all, we will die anyways.

NickE SILVER said...
NickE SILVER, Woodland Hills, California

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”

If you would like to read my stuff that teenink will not publish contact me i would enjoy a critic, also i will accept any works you'd like to share
Mindlesskid26@yahoo .com

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

thank you! its a shame teen ink seems a bit more focused on commending the dull and unoriginal though...

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

its good to know im not alone

CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

I love the original point to this piece! :]

NickE SILVER said...

Ahhh

A wave of relief I was hesitant about this site for just those reasons

I have to agree with you, most smart people have a tendency towards drugs, and where are the writing magazines for that type of people. That is the true crime here. No whinnying over your friend with a ciggerette (pardon the mistakes in spelling), No worrying about your social standing. The pure and simple dirty realism that america should be about.

I commend you, it took me awhile to find an posting that felt more honest.

OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

I love this guy.

loganmetcalf said...
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Tonight, I drink to you. Prosit!