WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

amkdancer BRONZE, Franklin Square, New York

Life best adventures and stories are on a page.

I totally get that. I too had a friend who experimented with drug a couple of weeks ago. They got hooked and then he died because he got hooked on it. I think people are allowed to experiment just not with something that can kill you. 

Alex.Babe said...
I agree, but then I disagree. I give you props for saying what you belive, becuase not many people have the courage to be on the more "bad side" of the argument. (not saying that it is)

Sunshine.On.My.Shoulders BRONZE, -, Alaska

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -Will Rogers

Hey, NotYoursForever, chill out. Inkspired did exactly the reight thing- said their point of view, stated it was different, and agreed to disagree. Calm. Down.

Congratulations on standing up for what you think.

But do you even know what you're saying???

Katie1234 GOLD said...
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

You did a bold thing, by being on an end for the drugs and for the alcohol. Sure inspiration comes from those things at times, but people don't really care about that. And why I do love this, I have a friend who almost died because she wanted to have a little fun. We will all die eventually, but we don't have to die from these things. And it doesn't take these things to have a little fun.

mrclean said...
i must agree with cowboyhiphop!!haha love the name dogg...... i also have a cousen that stated like that, she i much older than me. i think shes 34 35. and she got into that whole party life of drinking and  using drugs. she got nocked up at 16 dropped out of school. and continued to do so after having her kid. i am only about 6mouths older than her kid. we grow up together as kids. the only differnce was i had my mother around she never used drugs never had a lick of liquor and had a some what normal family. while "bob" had no one. his dad lived in cali, and his mom continued to use drugs. so that was the environment he grow up in. the kid was really smart. the kid got into a college prep class. after a year in there. he had it with the stress and started smoking and dropped out. his mom asked him to stop and to go back to school. but he replied why should i you did the same thing to.

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

I did not tell anyone what to do with their lives, I only gave what I thought was good advice. I apologize if I offended anyone by trying to advise them not to ruin their lives, and give my opinion, just like the author of this piece was trying to do. 

AmeliaTheStrange SILVER, Potosi, Missouri

"losing all hope is freedom"

I completely agree with everything you just said. Everyone has the right to choose what they will do with their life and make of themselves.

ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois

“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”

-Victor Hugo

OMG THIS ARGUMENT IS SO PETTY!

YOUR COMMENT WONT STOP THE WORLD FROM DOING DRUGS AND HER ARTICLE WONT FORCE PEOPLE TO START THEM.

THEY ARE SOME WORDS ON A WEBSITE.

honestly, I am ashamed to even have to be part of such a stupid argument.

people die from Major drugs, yes. 

People die from cars, yes.

people die from bullying, yes

people die from gluttony, yes

people die from having babies, yes

people die from drowning, yes

PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY! 

are you saying that we should all never drive, and that no one should bully, or that we shouldn't over eat, or that we should never ever reproduce, or that all pools of water should be shut down, except for the ocean, we just put walls around that so humans cant get in it?

people wont stop doing it. Whether it be 500 years ago, 50 years ago, 5 minuites ago, or 7000 years in the future. PEOPLE WILL NEVER STOP!

and this whole argument is so stupid. Argument period. You will never agree, just except that. okay?

because people die everyday for choices that they made, drugs are just one of the many.

cowboyhiphop BRONZE, Folsom, California
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this article. My cousin is a year older than me and he started off just "being rebellious" now he's addicted to mecinal marijuana and has been arrested several times on drug related charges. I dont think drugs have ever helped us, I've met people who did tons of drugs i nthe 60's and now they can barely function. It is possible to be happy and healthy.

TheShadowsHaveEyes SILVER, Lansing, Michigan

How much dirt I gotta throw in the ocean to make a new island

I completely respect your opinion, and do not mean to trash it if that's the way you feel, but I think it's possible to have a good time without having to do physical harm to yourself. I understand the desire to just be rebellious, the desire to not submit to authority, but teens are examples to younger children, and do we want to show kids that that's all there is to being a teen? Or do you want to be thought of as something better than that?

Like I said, I get where you're coming from, but I have to say I strongly disagree. I admire your boldness to put out a piece that you knew would be disagreed with.

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

I completely understand where you're coming from. And I couldn't disagree more. As a writer, and as all of us here are writers, I'm sure that none of us need drugs or cigarettes to write!! Obviously, a bit of alcohol or the occasional smoke isn't going to kill or hurt anyone, but drugs are just ridiculous. People die from 'just once'. They really do. And drugs aren't about having fun- you can have fun and be rebellious without drugs! Amazing! 

And though I understand your right to your own opinion, I ask you to seriously rethink your opinion on drugs. I don't want to preach, but the world would be so much better without drugs, with people actually trying to have fun and be happy without changing how their bodies work. Drugs are not required for a good time.

EmilyDanyelle, Cleveland, Ohio

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
— Marilyn Monroe

Dude, honestly, I could not agree any more with you. I'm not saying "Oh go out and do heroin", but the occasional weed and sipage of a beer or two keeps teenage life interesting. The danger of getting caught, the thrill of doing illegal. What teenager doesn't love that? It's sickening that life isn't exciting enough to pull us away from that stuff. But it is what it is. 

SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington

Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous to me, I understand the concept of everything in moderation, but sometimes it just doesn't apply. There can be no moderation once you are inside the claws of an addictive drug.

Your big argument seems to be that we wouldn't have great art without drugs, and that teenagers deserve to have fun. First of all, I'm sure plenty of people have work on here that they wrote without the benefit of drugs, and I really can't picture Shakespeare on crack. And, honestly, my fun is getting up in the morning and seeing what my body can do -- without wheezing, or collapsing, or dying. I'm healthy and I'm proud of it. And -- no disrespect to the author here, because it actually is a well written article, however much I disagree with it -- I'm horrified that Teen Ink would approve this. It isn't even advocating the legalization of drugs, just suggesting that you use them.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

I want to live forever ;) Or at least die healthy. I would never want to die slowly wheezing, my liver a wreck, and from the complications of the strange substances I took all my life.

The things that you talk about, you don't have to use them to the point of excess and bad health. Moderation is the key. Because they are pleasurable, but not to the point of being unable to live without a high, and being staggeringly drunk all the time. Liquor, or at least, red wine, has been proved to be beneficial to the heart. Clean, home-rolled tobacco can make a pleasurable ciggarette, only to be smoked about three or four times a year.

You have a point, and I can see it, but you are missing the key.

Moderation in everything. You will live a long, healthy, and exciting life, free from pain and heartache.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
HAWKEYESTATE4ever: You are completely right. I agree with you all the way. Nice use of sarcasm to, it really hits deep.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
i absolutely agree. it is irresponsible and immature behavior.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
Why worry now? Because your "fun" is only going to last a few more years, and then what happens when you suddenly have to take care of yourself? You didnt learn how to when you were a teen so you are SOL.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
do you think our parents and our mature adult figures tell us not to for no reason? Its because they have experienced it, or have witnessed how these things can ruin lives. they care about us and our futures, and are warning us out of love. think about it.

kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
Your article is very well writen. In the aspect of a well written paper, you get an "A" in my opinion. Perfect grammar, sentance structure, and very persuasive. However, as for the topic point of view, i have to strongly disagree. What happens when you do drugs or drink now, then become addicted? When your a mature adult, youll regret it. I know most of the kids in my school, and most of my friends in my social circle believe your point. Im glad i matured before the decision to do drugs ever came to me. It takes a really immature person to say being a teen is about having fun. It takes a mature person to say being a teen is about learning to have fun safely, and to prepare for the future.