My Ex-Teen Icon | Teen Ink

My Ex-Teen Icon MAG

By Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois

"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

Hey, my name is Margaret. I'm 15 and considering becoming a journalist. When I mentioned this to my dad, he encouraged me to practice writing, as I have obviously done so. My work is nothing great, but I hope you like it. I know it has too much teenage attitude to be published as news, but your site sounds very open to all types of writing, so I hope you'll appreciate my work for its own personality. However, if not, I completely understand. I'll just keep practicing.
The work I have pasted here is simply my own thoughts after having come across a cereal box endorsed by Hannah Montana.
Enjoy!

collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

I'm so happy that after this season, that Hannah Montana will be over for good. Like her much better as just "Miley".

..btw, i think you'd make an excellent journalist. I think you got the talent. Keep practicing.

~Salman Rushdie

i'VE READ Every poem of yours, jsutwannabeme, I luv everyone of them.

I totaaly agree with you. i WOULD LIKE IT A LOT MORE IF I DIDN'T SEE HANNAH MONTANA EVERYWHERE!  i used to love miley cyrus but now shes my ex tten icon.

SamIsSmiling GOLD, Rimbey, Alabama

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Yay! :P haha

Mmbusch BRONZE said...

Comments like this make me stop and smile :)

Hannahgee6 BRONZE, Greensburg, Kentucky

therefore do not worry about tomorrow. for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has enough trouble of its own.
-jesus

haha. i love this piece. and i hate hannah montana. she ruiined my name...(hannah) :) haha. and i hope you go far in your journalism. you seem to be very good at writing. keep it up!!! :) checkout my work?? i need feedback...:)

SamIsSmiling GOLD, Rimbey, Alabama

"To my dismay and shock there were none"  I had to stop reading and laugh for a little bit, :P

nomorox said...
nomorox, West Kensington, Other

What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

hey, this title just inspired me to do a fiction piece! be sure to check it out in a few weeks, and thanks!! and good writer, you have a good way with words ;)

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great job. Totally true and I hope you go far with your journalism. Oh and a suggestion also would be to try to get involved in your school newspaper too. That will give you lots of experience and recognition from your peers. i'm not sure if middle schools have them but I know that high schools do. Also,hey I'm 15 too.

MiddleOfAnEgg, Madison, Wisconsin

"Every wall is a door." -R. W. Emerson

This is amazing. I have to agree so much. Good luck on your journey to becoming a journalist, if you decide to become one, because you are DEFINITELY on the right track. :)

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

Good, actually phenomenal! Can you read my pieces? Thanks! I have 3, so far, but I submitted more, and you don't HAVE to read all 3, or any. Thanks, again!

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

Oh! :) Haha. That's cool, 'cause I love him! That's what caught my eye about this article!

Mmbusch BRONZE said...

Yea, I wrote this article more than a year ago, and I actually feel like it's a little dated. When I first started writing, I was predicting a change. Now the change seems to be happening. (Or have already happened?) 

Mmbusch BRONZE said...

Yea, it's him. I didn't choose the picture though. Another reader actually told me who it is. 

"See, we don't really care who you are;

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

:) Haha. Yep. Adam is amazing...sorry Margaret B. for spamming your article...I love him and I can't not say it :)

"See, we don't really care who you are;

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I absolutely love Adam Young! :) He is a good role model :)

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas
intresting, i agree with you on some things, like the fact she has to grow up and she can't be little forever, but i personally dont think that she wants to stay with Disney to get paid, she's breaking apart from them, she doesn't want to be part of it, because she doesn't want to be a little girl disney star

elle_la_vie BRONZE, Cresskill, New Jersey

the man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. :)

i hate miley cyrus, this is so true

"See, we don't really care who you are;

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I really like this article! I completely agree. I used to look up to her but she has made a lot of stupid decisions. It seems like she's trying to be the exact opposite of a role model. Anway....

Who is the guy in you picture? It looks a little like Adam Young (Owl City) and I absolutely love him :)

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

I just saw this nice Kenzie Q.

I completely agree. You can't be a role model for a hopeful third grader and then go grind a 45 year old man. There's absolutely no excuse or reason for it.