Teen Icons | Teen Ink

Teen Icons

By KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

\"I\'m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best.\"
— Marilyn Monroe

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

This is my first day on Tennink..so Hello!

I noticed that many people expressed their views on two particular teen icons the most: Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber. We all know Miley Cyrus has been in the spotlight for years, now. Her father was already famous which kinda gave her more of an advantage. No, I'm not saying that just because her father is Billy Ray Cyrus, that she just got into the spotlight easy. I'm saying that because her father is Billy Ray Cyrus, it made people catch on to her faster who were already a fan of her father's. Just about five years ago, Miley Cyrus became one of the biggest Disney stars ever. Well, she probably is the most famous Disney star. As we know, she was the goofy, young girl on Hannah Montana. By the second episode and her first song, she probably already had close to a million fans. But now, Miley is causing a ton of controversy. Although I'm not a huge Miley Cyrus fan, I do like some of her songs. It seems like people are shocked to see a 17 or 18 year-old girl in tight pants and a crop top. A couple weeks ago, I read an article about controversy erupting from Miley wearing a Lady Gaga inspired leotard on stage. A leotard? People are really making a big deal over a leotard? Like I said, I'm not a huge Miley Cyrus fan, but I am on her side. Really people, the girl can't stay a "Disney Channel Angel" forever. And you can't expect her to be able to please everyone. Plus, little 9 year-old girls are not the only people on the planet. I feel that people should begin to respect her more as an artist because she is doing well with not cracking under pressure. You don't see her club hopping, snorting crack, and going to court every couple months do you? (Lindsey Lohan reference.) People also should respect the fact that she is young like us, and just wants to grow up.

Of course, we can't talk about teen icons without mentioning Justin Beiber. Ever since his debut song "One Time" came out, he's been a teen sensation. At first, I had no clue who he was. I thought he was just a 13 year-old Justin Timberlake wanna-be. But, I guess not. He's just a kid from Canada, (like Drake) who wanted to make it big. And no, he didn't make it big; he made it huge. The cool thing about his story is that he was found on Youtube and is being mentored by Usher. That just goes to show that anyone can easily become famous these days.

Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber definitely are two major teen icons. I believe that they both have long careers ahead of them if they don't crack under pressure and keep their heads held high. You can hate on them all you want, but their making money and doing what they love, right?

I was inspired to write this piece because as i was looking around, I saw people writing a lot about Miley Cyrus controversy and Justin Beiber. I wanted to express my views on the two.

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

True! Celebs are people, too! And I have Bieber Fever!!!

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

I agree with the point ur making about the msg she's sending out to her old fans, but she also does have to break out and try new things. But, i'm not a huge fan of her, so to me it's really not a big deal. Thanxz for the comment, though.

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I kinda agree with you, up to a point. I think Miley shouldn't have to be a Disney Star forever, but when you turn from a sweet Disney star to what she's turning out to be [example: music video of Can't Be Tamed] what kind of example is she sending to her old fans?

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Thanxz for the comment!

a.m.f BRONZE said...
a.m.f BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

"God never shuts a door unless he opens another."

I'm not big fans of either of the two, but I agree with you.  People do need to lay off of them.  They're not hurting anyone. People who constantly judge Cyrus and Bieber probably have their own insecurities and are probably just jealous of them.

You did have a few grammer mistakes, but I was easily able to tell what your opinion is on the situation, so that's good.  Just make sure you proofread your writing first and you'll be fine!  Other than a few grammer mistakes, I think your writing is great and you should keep on posting! :)

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Exactly, thnxz for the comment! :)

— Marilyn Monroe

Albert Einstein

Thanxz for ur comment! And like I said, i'm not the hugest fans of these 2, but it isn't necessary to hate on 'em. I'm glad u feel the same! :)

partlycloudyholiday SILVER, Palmer, Alaska

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - by Theodor Seuss Geisel

People judge stars so harshly and it's uncalled for. People don't realize they are just people like anyone else. I'm glad you wrote this to share the view point that celebrities are not meant to be perfect and that making little mistakes, doing the same things every teen does, isn't this terrible thing that justifies hating them, writing about how awful they are. I believe the root of it is envy, people just jealous of entertainers.

mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

I don't know alot about Justin Bieber, but maybe I should start listening to him. I do agree with your views, I'm not a huge fan of Miley Cyrus or her so-called 'music', but I do think that she has the right to be who she wants to be and express herself whatever way she wants.