Celebrities: Are We Obsessed? | Teen Ink

Celebrities: Are We Obsessed?

By Riley Fanning BRONZE, CINCINNATI, Ohio
Riley Fanning BRONZE, CINCINNATI, Ohio

Society has transformed, molded, and shaped us into what we are today. Whether it is a good or bad thing, it has happened without a doubt. One thing that never seems to keep our interests away is our gravitation towards celebrities. Every year, no matter who else comes onto the scene, we, as a society, try to learn everything about them. We can become obsessed with whoever is of great interest to us. This is what pop culture has become.

Channing Tatum. Ryan Gosling. Zac Efron. These are just three of the many names that have captured girls’ hearts around the world. Men like this have a few things in common.

1.) Attractive 2.) Nice body 3.) Famous. Pictures of these men, and more, have the tendency to appear in girls’ rooms, lockers, diaries, and more. Girls, of a variety of ages, love these celebrities. But why? Yes, they have “star” qualities, but are those the only things that make girls swoon over these stars? By having the ability to discover whatever one desires about celebs, becoming stalker-like is very possible. Once a star shows up in a movie, show, etc. he is out there for girls to “stalk”. Obsession can grow from this, “taking over” so to speak, of a girl’s life. This may sound over dramatic, but it is all too real. It can happen. It does happen. It should not happen. Becoming obsessed over someone that one has never met, and probably never will, as well as having this famous man be older than these young girls, is unsettling. Obsessive and stalker behavior in this situation should not happen. A little crush happens to many, but beyond that can spiral downhill fast.

Something else many in today’s society do is judge. Judging come naturally, and yes, we all do it at some point in our lives. But it is unfair to judge celebrities, which are people many look up to, based on their figure or their looks. Judging is inevitable. It happens all the time. While celebs are on vacation, in the city, or on the red carpet. The red carpet is when this judging is shown all around the world. Reporters from popular shows like “Extra” or “Access” go to these award shows and judge these famous actors, actresses, singers, and many more, based on the outfit that the stars happen to be wearing that night. Most, if not all, of the gowns or suits are designed or made for the specific star. Clothing and jewelry are worn that one could only dream of wearing. My young people look up to these stars, so when there is an unwanted bulge, a “trouble” or “unflattering” area, the people that look up to these stars realize that they need to be thinner, or taller, or prettier, or whatever. Everyone is different. Everyone is beautiful in their own way. Not everyone knows that. By judging celebrities, we form, into our minds, an image of perfection. The ideal look for ourselves. This, in reality, is never going to happen. No one is perfect! It will never happen. Having flaws, and quirks, and imperfections is what makes everyone unique. No one will be exactly the same. Perfection is what so many strive towards after looking at the famous on the red carpet, even though that should not be the goal. By pointing out “unflattering” areas, they stand out even more. By starting out as a pretty dress, ten seconds later, perceptions are switched into a dress with “too much fabric for her tiny figure” or one that “accentuates all the wrong curves.” Whoever is wearing that item of clothing probably liked it, so why is society telling them what to wear? That is not our job.

Conforming, obsessing, and stalking are just parts what we members of society do when it comes to celebrities. Is it our own personal wrongdoing? Possibly, but there should be people in our lives that rein us back in. Going too far, over the top, can be dangerous. Judging based on image can lead to eating disorders. Obsession is unhealthy for anyone as well. But, we obsess and judge anyway. Pop culture has molded society into what it is today. There is no need to conform to the mold.